Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

braided cloth vs rubber fuel line?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I've search the forums here and just wanted some additional weight in from experience as I'm about to replace the fuel lines in my 1600 61 bug. Which fuel line is best to replace - rubber or braided cloth? I know that the lines need to be rated for the 10% ethanol and it's about 5ft give or take to do the whole car, but which is better for Texas weather which is dry humidity in the summer coming up and good rain fall.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the size is a 5mm? I just called auto zone and they gave me 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 sizing.

Thanks

Mas
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on size, but the fuel tubing on my 65 beetle looks about 5mm. I ordered some 'braided German' fuel hose online and it was junk within a year (of daily driving). All fuel line is braided.. the smooth stuff just looks newer because the braid is covered with rubber.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

Stock cloth has been fine with somewhere over 400,000 miles of driving ACVWs between us.

Did three years in the USAF in Texas and plenty of ethanol fuel over the years here in the PNW way before it became standard issue at the pumps.

Just got to replace flex fuel lines every two to three years depending on how much you drive it.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the size is a 5mm? I just called auto zone and they gave me 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 sizing.

Mas

You're not wrong. It is 5mm. Auto Zone just has shitty listings.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I used to only buy the German braided hose. It has the “Chinese finger trap” feature that helps it to grab onto the metal fittings on the carb and fuel pump, etc.. Unfortunately that hose never evolved to cope with modern, ethanol-laced fuels. So I’ve had to look elsewhere. I found these two high quality fuel hoses:
https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-ap...0ik8qnftp7
http://www.volksbolts.com/FuelHose/index.htm

The belmetric hose is more pliable but the volksbolt hose has a better fit being 5.6 mm

Hope this helps
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

Get rubber fuel Line rated for fuel injection use.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I have used some "German" braided fuel line that has lasted for a very long time. I also used some on a project recently that failed after one season of use. This was Continental branded made in Germany hose as well. It just seems quality is extremely variable these days. My last project used Gates Barricade, and I really hope it is going to last. I would rather use the braided hose for its original appearance, but it seems you just cannot trust it anymore...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I started to lose my love for stock braided cloth hose many years ago when I examined some used hose that was cracking for the outside-in!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I never have a problem with braided hose.
I also never put ethanol fuel in my VWs unless it's on a road trip.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I have plenty of Bellmetric 5mm ID fuel line but it's way too tight. Go with 5.5mm ID diameter and use the proper clamps.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

I will NOT use the cloth covered fire hose..

Much better fuel line has been developed since 1938.... and is easily available at most FLAPS..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

SAE rated hose, 30R9 specification is lined to resist todays fuel. liner inside is a teflon like material. the mandated oxygenated fuels will not harm it.

1/4 inch is a bit big, but will work fine with proper hose clamps. used the solid band type, not the serrated type. serrated type will allow the rubber hose to extrude thru the holes, loosening the clamp.

Also see safety wire information on link below this post.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

What happens if the hose is too tight? I know the one I have on mine is hard to take off every time I change the fuel filter. I don't know the size of the hose but it is the cloth braided one

Jody '71 wrote:
I have plenty of Bellmetric 5mm ID fuel line but it's way too tight. Go with 5.5mm ID diameter and use the proper clamps.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

vwgirl1961a wrote:
What happens if the hose is too tight? I know the one I have on mine is hard to take off every time I change the fuel filter. I don't know the size of the hose but it is the cloth braided one

Jody '71 wrote:

if too tight, removal can loosen the fittings the hose is attached to. see link below on engine fires and safety wire, then you will know the end result of loosened fittings.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

Maybe this is why the end the attaches to the carb is wet with fuel? My carb is an aftermarket one and someone said the float in it may be stuck which is causing the problem. I am taking my car to my mechanic hopefully this morning. Thanks

bluebus86 wrote:
vwgirl1961a wrote:

Jody '71 wrote:

if too tight, removal can loosen the fittings the hose is attached to. see link below on engine fires and safety wire, then you will know the end result of loosened fittings.

Bug On!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

vwgirl1961a wrote:
What happens if the hose is too tight? I know the one I have on mine is hard to take off every time I change the fuel filter. I don't know the size of the hose but it is the cloth braided one.

You want it tight, or it is just going to fall off. The German fuel line is designed to tighten when pulled just like Chinese Finger Cuffs. So just like CFCs one pushes the ends of of the fuel line to get it to loosen and slide off. A flat tip screwdriver works well for this. Otherwise slice the end open and cut off a chunk of fuel line each time or just replace the length.

You do want hose clamps on the line between the fuel pump and carb. VW issued a tech bulletin about this to avoid having the line come loose from the pressure between those two points.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
vwgirl1961a wrote:
What happens if the hose is too tight? I know the one I have on mine is hard to take off every time I change the fuel filter. I don't know the size of the hose but it is the cloth braided one.

You want it tight, or it is just going to fall off. The German fuel line is designed to tighten when pulled just like Chinese Finger Cuffs. So just like CFCs one pushes the ends of of the fuel line to get it to loosen and slide off. A flat tip screwdriver works well for this. Otherwise slice the end open and cut fuel line each time.

You do want hose clamps on the line between the fuel pump and carb. VW issued a tech bulletin about this to avoid having the line come loose from the pressure between those two points.

THANK YOU! Nice to know someone else knows about this bulletin besides me.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

THANK YOU! Nice to know someone else knows about this bulletin besides me.

You are welcome! Tried to find it this morn, but have so much packed away due to our years on going house rebuild. It is actually a Workshop Bulletin, not Technical.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: braided cloth vs rubber fuel line? Reply with quote

When I change the hose I make it longer by a few inches. Then, when I need to change a filter or whatever I can just cut it off. I make a lengthwise cut with a razor knife at the end of the hose near the filter ,then cut that portion of hose off. I use wire cutters , which make a clean cut. When reinstalling I dip the end of the hose in boiling water for about 30 seconds or so before pushing it on. It expands the rubber so you won't have to struggle getting it back on. Still using the braided stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: