Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Somethin2do
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Recently purchased a 1980 t3 Westy off Ebay and receiving it soon!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanag...&rt=nc

I have a lot of work ahead of me but already planning my attack to get it up and running as soon as possible. The westy has been sitting for a couple of years, turns over but does not start (no spark). Wanted to get some opinions here before attempting to start it up.

Planning on the following in order:

1) Replace fuel tank - where is the best goto place for buying type 2 t3 fuel tanks? Should I replace fuel pump as well or should I be able to clean this up enough with some carb cleaner?

2) clean injectors and fuel lines. Test power of injectors and validate all are working correctly

3) check spark plugs and replace if necessary, compression test while here

4) fix spark problem. Hall sensor check, distributor check, any other known spark problems I should check while here?

5) Hopefully start?

6) Tons of additional engine, transmission and body work to be done

Appreciate the help!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

It appears to be a points ignition looking at the photo. The red wire on the ignition coil is not stock and no telling where it is going. A no spark condition on a points ignition is about the easiest thing to troubleshoot.

While it has no spark, I would remove the spark plugs and crank the engine till the oil pressure light in the dash goes out. This way you can get oil pressure with out loading the bearings.

I have to tell you, looking at the add my internal warning buzzer went off. At a minimum you should get a new coil, new sparkplugs, new plug wires, new points, condensor, cap and rotor. That about covers it. Injectors spray every time the coil fires. There is a lead on the -side of the coil that runs to the ECU.

Good news is the fuel injection is still there.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Sorry...just read it didn't start. Might be ignition coil? I'm not familiar with air cooled .

Nice Westy. Some good vendors are GoWesty, Van-Cafe, and T3 techniques.

Maybe consider the tune up kit from GoWesty? Also, buy the Mann oil filters from GoWesty or Van-Cafe.

Start cheap IMO. Clean your grounds and electrical connectors. Once you get it running replace your brake, fuel, and vacuum lines.

Your gas tank probably needs resealed. You'll know when you first refill it. Maybe reseal your tank? I mean your van is over 35 years old. It doesn't hurt to get a new one and forget it. That said, I'm still rocking my 35 year old fuel tank. I just replaced my 35yo radiator even though it was still rocking.

Send your injectors off to get professionally cleaned and tested IMO.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Ok I waited for two other posters...OP your first post says clean your fuel lines, You want to replace all your soft rubber fuel lines, all the ones in the engine compartment. I don't have any experience with air cooled, but I think they also have a plastic firewall adaptor and a short length of soft fuel line attaching the adaptor to the hard fuel line. You want to replace these parts too.

Here's a kit for doing this:
http://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-delivery/4393/engine-fuel-line-replacement-kit?v=

You don't want your van to catch on fire the first time it starts...
Somethin2do
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Some great info here! I was looking at a lot of the gowesty kits but most of them show: Works With: 1983-91

Will I face any issues with these since it is not specifying the 1980 T3?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

I can't answer that question but I will say that after mid-83 they started water cooling engines. My van is considered an 83.5 because it was one of the first models to be water cooled.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

First up.
Congrats on the new member of your family.
Learn to embrace the challenges that come with this type of vehicle ownership.

Air cooled parts are readily available with many vendors.

Points ignition is pretty straight forward but you can purchase an aftermarket retro kit that will replace the points with an electronic gizmo ........... if you're more comfortable with that.

pull the plugs, turn the motor over to ensure it turns, Pop one plug into one of the spark plug wires, ground it against the case (just hold it against the case), clench your teeth firmly .......... have some one turn the engine over. If you get a jolting spark much like peeing on an electric fence (you know, the ones used to contain ornery live stock ........) you have diagnosed two things.
One you have spark and Two you need new spark pug wires. The electrocution is a by product at no extra charge .............

If you have no spark check the primary side of the coil to ensure its supplying the juice to the system. Pop the distributor cover and check the points.
Are they visibly moving? You should be able to see the gap as they open/close/open/close ............

Check the oil first hey. Like before you do any of the other stuff we've all suggested. It would be shame to find out it fires right up ........ with no or low oil levels.

And above all else.
Remember: "Good times ahead."

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
<snip>The red wire on the ignition coil is not stock and no telling where it is going. >snip<

My guess would be an aftermarket tach.............

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Great deal, almost to be too good to be true. Good luck..
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

All of the above, also try to get a copy of the Bentley manual for the Vanagon, I've found a couple of the older ones for lower $$$ which is fine because your Vanagon will be included.
Clymers also has a book for aircooled Vanagons.

Have fun!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
<snip>The red wire on the ignition coil is not stock and no telling where it is going. >snip<

Not a big deal, but if it were a tach lead, I think it is on the wrong side of the coil. Also, either way, you would not run a wire that exited the engine compartment through the engine hatch cover lip unless you were a hack. My hunch would be that someone was trying to get power to the coil to solve a no spark problem. Probably a temporary rig.

Short of the parts I suggested, I would hold off ordering too much stuff until it is in your possession. A compression test will tell you where you will be spending your money initially. Energizing the fuel pump will tell you if you have any leaking fuel lines. If they are dry, you can work on getting the van running and then deal with replacing the fuel lines. You are assuming it's a no spark condition based on the seller's statement. You may find that you are digging into the fuel hose at the injector rails just to see if the injectors are in fact spraying. Once the van engine starts and runs, you can move forward with your want and need wish. My favorite automotive thing is breathing life back into an engine that has died for some reason.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
9.5isCanadian wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Also, either way, you would not run a wire that exited the engine compartment through the engine hatch cover lip unless you were a hack. My hunch would be that someone was trying to get power to the coil to solve a no spark problem. Probably a temporary rig.

agree on both counts.

Considering the gauge of the red wire, you may be onto something. Definitely a bush league approach either way.

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

yeah, you're right as usual mark...get it running first THEN replace fuel lines does make sense.

I had a friend who drove his newly purchased bus a few hundred miles home not investigating the gas smell until he got to his driveway and saw the leaks...that's the scenario I was thinking about avoiding, a lot different from getting something running in a driveway.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

It is a common saying but not really true. Watercooling began late in 81 models, with the first diesel T3 vehicles. In North America we got watercooled starting in 82 diesel models. The water cooled gas engines began here with 83.5.

Mark

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I can't answer that question but I will say that after mid-83 they started water cooling engines. My van is considered an 83.5 because it was one of the first models to be water cooled.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

I would definately check the injectors, had two vehicles (EJ22 and a WBX) which both would not start as the injectors were frozen up with varnish(whatever you are supposed to call it).
Took ages to get the EJ22 started as we didn't realise the problem, finally kicked in on a couple pots and vibration sorted out the rest. The WBX was easier as we had done the basic checks and had no start, just gave the injectors as light rap with the plastic handle of a screw drive. This dislodged the varnish enough to let the injectors work and it started up.

Both vehicle had been sitting for extended periods, 7 years for the WBX.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It is a common saying but not really true. Watercooling began late in 81 models, with the first diesel T3 vehicles. In North America we got watercooled starting in 82 diesel models. The water cooled gas engines began here with 83.5.

Yeah, '83 was an unusual year for Vanagons. You could buy an air cooled, water cooled gas, or diesel.
Somethin2do
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great info. I am receiving the vehicle today, however already facing some additional issues! Shipper called me and told me the front of the roof was blowing up and he had to strap it down. Hoping this is not going to be a huge issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

No turning back now. Looks like you will be learning fiberglass skills and that appears to be quite a bit of rust along the l/s rain gutter. The front luggage rack should have a rubber seal between it and the metal roof. It looks like the fiberglass tore where it is attached to one of the front brackets. Good thing the hauler noticed it before it blew off completely. You at least have the parts to work with it.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

Right on Exclamation
Love the 'taking delivery' pictures.

Looks great. You have been given an opportunity to learn new skills. I always get super excited with new projects.
Keep the updates coming and remember, every obstacle you encounter, can be dealt with.
Broken top? like MarkWard pointed out, you learn fiberglass work (assuming you're not already proficient with that stuff.)

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Long time admirer, first time owner - Attempting to start T3 Reply with quote

That front bumper sticker makes me think of this video
NSFW btw.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: