Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this? on my fuel pump
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

Pump is not pumping gas. There is gas coming into the pump but not out to carb. I want to get the rebuild kit from WW and rebuild rather than get the aftermarket pump but not sure what this pot is and if it can be serviced or replaced.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

I have heard them termed many things, but I call them an anti siphon valve. Keeps fuel up to the carb after is has been pumped, but does not lay the fuel against the pump when parked. Seems VW only ran them a few years. I have one on my '63, but have just run my fuel line around it, leaving it in place.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

How would you go about bypassing it? I want to take it out of the equation when testing the pump. Thanks
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

I also have this anti-syphon valve on the '65 engine in my '59 bug. To bypass it just take the fuel pump output line and run it directly up to the carb instead of to the anti-syphon valve.

One can remove the valve altogether and just run a steel line (WW sells these) directly into the fuel pump, but it doesn't seem to harm anything to leave the valve in place and bypass as described above.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

Just unscrew the hose clamp & ignore it for now.
Maybe on the next trip to the FLAPS, grab a couple feet of some new fuel line: per the above pic, it appears rater ratty & is likely due for R&R anyways.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=917447
ilustr8tor wrote:
How would you go about bypassing it? I want to take it out of the equation when testing the pump. Thanks

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

I personally don't much for the term "anti-siphon" because I never once found where VW called it that. But that's just me.

It didn't last very long before VW built it into the pump.

From 66-70 it was built into the square-top shaped pump, then in 71 and 72 a similar cutoff valve re-appeared. You seldom see any styles of those external cutoff valves any more - they are not fixable and I think most people thought they were some kind of filter and just threw them away, despite notices in the service manuals.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. What fuel line do you folks recommend that is ethanol safe? glutamodo what do you recommend? Go new aftermarket?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

I gave up on original style Conti hose with the cloth cover some time ago, the dry climate plus oxyfuels just don't mix. The last time I bought 5mm fuel hose it was this:

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-ap...n83pbpglm0

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

I have heard ID should be 5.5mm. I found this for a Honda but its is 5.5mm. Not sure it doesn't list the rating.

https://4into1.com/genuine-honda-black-fuel-line-5...gIhm_D_BwE
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

Yeah, but I think that 5mm stuff is fine. Really beefy hose, that stuff is.

ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

Can get the 5.6mm hose R9 in europe wish I could find this in the US:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R9-Fuel-Hose-Petrol-Pip...2189995046
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: R9 Braided fuel line Reply with quote

Found the same fuel line with braided outside would have preferred R9 but better than old stock braided hose. After ethanol friendly Pump rebuild, Carb rebuild and hose replacement This old bug should be better prepared for ethanol fuel.

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-ap...l16p7o03i4

Ordered 2 meters (6ft) and 11 ADP clams

creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

Couple questions on this valve and engine. If you have a stock 65 motor can you run a 66 fuel pump instead? If so what is the difference in the two pumps. In other words how do I tell a 65 from a 66. Second, is the fuel cutoff valve necessary or can you just remove it and plumb the fuel system straight into the pump then into the carb? What is the pros and cons of this? I have pm’d Andy about some of this and as usual he was awesome in explaining things but since this post addressed some of our conversations it might help others if this is in a post where all inters could reference it.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

I can tell you there a lot of fuel pump styles over the years. The one I have on my 1965 1200 6 volt appears to have only been used on bugs 1970-1972. If that manual is correct I guess 65 and 66 pumps should be inter changeable.

ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? on my fuel pump Reply with quote

anyone know how to remove the carbon filter? parts are on the right and where they go is on the left. Retaining ring, is it press fitted? Best way to remove?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: