Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is anyone making new Type IV cases?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Type 1 cases can be found new all day long.
Is anyone making new Type IV cases in this day in age?
I figured by now somebody would.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

It would be amazing if they did right? What with all the fancy CNC/3D printing/computer generated whats-its one might think it would be achieveable.
Alas.....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Yeah, too bad the likes of Todd Francis aren't pursuing this. And the first order of things would be to configure it for a T1 oil pump and a normal drain plate, to eliminate that ridiculous broken cam boss situation.

After all, you may have seen that fellow with his billet T4 head drawing the other day https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695367
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

you can buy them from VW as a universal T4 case, Last I looked they were about $4500 delivered to the USA. Usually one can find new T4 oil pumps in Europe too but they are about $650 these days.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you can buy them from VW as a universal T4 case, Last I looked they were about $4500 delivered to the USA.

Link? please? my google-fu failed to come up with anything
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

look up the part number at Classic VW de. Their searches don't link.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

try this https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/kurbelgehause-f91c5f.html
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you can buy them from VW as a universal T4 case, Last I looked they were about $4500 delivered to the USA. Usually one can find new T4 oil pumps in Europe too but they are about $650 these days.

You just made a great case for a new alternative.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Nice Partnumber: 022 101 025 K
In stock

Crankcase housing for Type 4-engine,for engine code GE / GD 70 HP 2 litre.

1,729 Euro equals 2,129.73 US Dollar
The delivery to a location in Germany takes about 3 to 5 working days. The delivery to a foreign country takes about 4 to 10 working days.

SGKent wrote:
try this https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/kurbelgehause-f91c5f.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Yeah, too bad the likes of Todd Francis aren't pursuing this. And the first order of things would be to configure it for a T1 oil pump and a normal drain plate, to eliminate that ridiculous broken cam boss situation.

After all, you may have seen that fellow with his billet T4 head drawing the other day https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695367

The type 1 drain plate sucks....just sucks. Six crappy studs with nuts and washers are a leak monster all day long.

The type 4 drain plate issue is dead simple to fix. Just make the oil pickup bell with two or four feet on the bell when its stamped...costs nothing. Takes the load totally off the bolt AND the boss and transfers it to the bell. The bolt only becomes a locator.

I already did it...but people bitched that it was overkill...so should not be done Laughing ....I mean for gods sake.....we do not want to take away any of the risk, legend or lore of what is required to own and service a type 4 case do we?
I mean...what would we have to say to newbies if we no longer really had to frantically warn them that they MUST own an inch pound torque wrench or have their wrists permanently calibrated to 9 ft lbs...or they are doomed!
Laughing Wink Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645213&highlight

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Well that sucks (about there not being a cost effective new case).
I just thought I'd check. Looking into doing a Type IV conversion in my split bus. Hell, I'd even start with a used 2 liter if I could find one anywhere near Nashville.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Busstom wrote:

The type 1 drain plate sucks....just sucks. Six crappy studs with nuts and washers are a leak monster all day long.

The type 4 drain plate issue is dead simple to fix. Just make the oil pickup bell with two or four feet on the bell when its stamped...costs nothing. Takes the load totally off the bolt AND the boss and transfers it to the bell. The bolt only becomes a locator.

I already did it...but people bitched that it was overkill...so should not be done Laughing ....I mean for gods sake.....we do not want to take away any of the risk, legend or lore of what is required to own and service a type 4 case do we?
I mean...what would we have to say to newbies if we no longer really had to frantically warn them that they MUST own an inch pound torque wrench or have their wrists permanently calibrated to 9 ft lbs...or they are doomed!
Laughing Wink Cool

Ray

Hahahahaaaa, yes, it's so fun to watch everybody warn the newbs about that torque. But, as much as you hate the T1 sump plate, I can't recall the last time I heard about the torquing of a T1 drain plug breaking a case. And yes, I for one, am familiar with the torque-spreading concept you published...I am doing something similar, but it's still a sucky reason to have to make that fix in the first place.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Busstom wrote:

Laughing Wink Cool

Ray

Hahahahaaaa, yes, it's so fun to watch everybody warn the newbs about that torque. But, as much as you hate the T1 sump plate, I can't recall the last time I heard about the torquing of a T1 drain plug breaking a case. And yes, I for one, am familiar with the torque-spreading concept you published...I am doing something similar, but it's still a sucky reason to have to make that fix in the first place.

Yep...it sucks to have to fix a design flaw....because you have to first admit its a design flaw Laughing

The type 1 style plate would actually do much better on a type 4....because the damn studs would not be getting loose and falling out all the time like they do on the type 1 case as the magnesium work hardens from heat cycling.

But...the fact that you still have to work with six nuts and washers is just archaic. The single bolt design of the type 4 is superior....but it was just poor implementation of it by VW. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

VW fixed the drain plate problem on the Vanagon WBX, they eliminated it, just like virtually every car out there. I pull my plate whenever the time has come to reseal the engine, which is about once every 100-120K miles. The screen is always clean.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Nice Partnumber: 022 101 025 K
In stock

Crankcase housing for Type 4-engine,for engine code GE / GD 70 HP 2 litre.

1,729 Euro equals 2,129.73 US Dollar

that's Subaru short block money right there Dancing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

PM Sent.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

I was considering one of these new cases but upon contacting the people in Germany who sell them, they indicated they sold all 14 they had in the last 60 days. VAG sold all theirs too in the last few weeks. Anyone know who is buying up all the T4 cases? I looked on the T4 store and they don't list them so it doesn't appear to be them. VWHeritage doesn't list them either so it isn't them.

SK
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

Now you all have me thinking about those 2 type IV cases I stuffed under the counter a few years ago.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Now you all have me thinking about those 2 type IV cases I stuffed under the counter a few years ago.

are those new T4 cases or the low mile ones that you had for your dad we spoke on once?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is anyone making new Type IV cases? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
heimlich wrote:

are those new T4 cases or the low mile ones that you had for your dad we spoke on once?

They looked quite good but without measuring I wouldn't know. I do have a few lines open with engine builders and with folks who provide cases to engine builders. Let me know what you are looking for and I can check with all of them.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: