Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct tank color for Azure Blue?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRANDEN HOY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

As the title states, what is the correct color for the fuel tank in an Azure car? we are currently working on a 52 at the shop and I cannot seem to find any pictures of the trunk area in a known original Azure car. P Horvath's old car seems to be one of the most original cars yet no pix of this area...

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend!

Branden
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Black. this is from my original 52 I had.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Hmm from what i know all split have body color on the tank 1949-1952.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

sweden wrote:

Well, thats not correct. Here is my unrestored Sand 51 with a black tank as well.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
sweden wrote:

Well, thats not correct. Here is my unrestored Sand 51 with a black tank as well.

Hi Wiggy!

You have not convinced me yet, as what i know the black fuel tank is replacements tank.
In the 50 the roads was not the best and the car was not driven many km per year. Soo i can understand they have to change the fuel tanks already in the first 10 years.
I have to many cars and fuel tanks that is painted in body color and none would paint an replacement tank on an 10 years old car.

If you have right it would be very strange if all the painted fueltank i have or have seen come from VW split verts that we know was painted in body color.

Please now we want more proof what is the right, black or body color on split tanks?

My old 1950

An Swedish unrested 1951.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

My October '51 had a black fuel tank. It was parked in 1962 and had about 115K Miles on the odometer.

Convertibles were supplied to Karmann as roofless shells supplied by VW in factory primer and were completed and painted at the Karmann factory and they painted the gas tank the body color. Sedans were built at the VW factory and they installed black painted tanks.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
My October '51 had a black fuel tank. It was parked in 1962 and had about 115K Miles on the odometer.

Convertibles were supplied to Karmann as roofless shells supplied by VW in factory primer and were completed and painted at the Karmann factory and they painted the gas tank the body color. Sedans were built at the VW factory and they installed black painted tanks.

Haha i´am still not convinced.

How can we then explain all those painted fueltanks?
Why should anybody paint the new replacements fueltanks in bodycolor?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Early cars had the tank painted while it was sitting in the car. This continued until sometime in '50 I believe. Later than that though I don't think I have ever seen an original car will a body color painted tank.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Sorry dude - you're drawing conclusions you shouldnt make.

What makes you think that people would be inclined to change their gas tanks in the first 10 years? Are you just making that up? I've had gas in my split for 20 years - still same tank.

I've had 3 original unrestored split windows (51 and 52). All of them had black tanks.

Paul Horvaths unrestored Belgian split had a black tank.

This unrestored split has a black tank:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/PA17/Paris/lots/r137-1952-volkswagen-type-1-beetle/411518

Another (although front apron looks replaced)

I can show you numerous others. ALL of them didn't have their tanks replaced - sorry.

Secondly, suggesting that a split sedan should have a colored tank because Karmann's had them is apples and oranges. VW painted VW sedans. karmann painted Karmann's.

Finally, while I believe some splits might have had a body colored tank, especially earlier ones, I don't think it appropriate for you to assume they all do and that they all had their tanks replaced. Also, why is the gas tank lid painted green (at least from the picture you posted - not saying its wrong - just curious)?

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

sweden wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Haha i´am still not convinced.

How can we then explain all those painted fueltanks?
Why should anybody paint the new replacements fueltanks in bodycolor?

Please show me "all those painted fuel tanks" from 1951 and 1952 please.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Black.

https://blog.bbt4vw.com/2014/06/02/for-sale-1952-untouched-split-straight-from-the-barns/

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Maybe US imports received black tanks. The tank in my Oct 52 zwitter was black when I bought it (unrestored). I don't think it was a replacement zwitter tank.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
Maybe US imports received black tanks. The tank in my Oct 52 zwitter was black when I bought it (unrestored). I don't think it was a replacement zwitter tank.

My Hoffman split was black as was my belgian and german splits.

I think it changed over at some point in production of splits.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Early cars = black tank until 1949 when the new larger fueltank was introduced.
Colour-matched fueltank 50-51 until crotch coolers was introduced then black again.

I have had had all possible colours unrestored beetles 48-53. Still have some. : )
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Haha love you to.

What makes you think that people would be inclined to change their gas tanks in the first 10 years? Are you just making that up? I've had gas in my split for 20 years - still same tank.

Car was not driven so much in the 50´s. Remember you got an watch and nice vw sign to put on your cars if you have driven 100000km with same engine.
Soo with bad storage you get moisture and rust in the tank. Or perhaps the gasoline was of poor quality and caused rust. This was just a thought, as my time machine don´t work right now

I've had 3 original unrestored split windows (51 and 52). All of them had black tanks.

Unrestored YES but not an untouched car
Newer front bumper and look on the FUEL CAP GREEN color.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/PA17/Paris/lots/r137-1952-volkswagen-type-1-beetle/411518

I can show you numerous others. ALL of them didn't have their tanks replaced - sorry.

Secondly, suggesting that a split sedan should have a colored tank because Karmann's had them is apples and oranges. VW painted VW sedans. karmann painted Karmann's.
You misunderstood me, I just meant where did all painted gas tanks come from? All that i have seen could not come from wrecked verts.

Finally, while I believe some splits might have had a body colored tank, especially earlier ones, I don't think it appropriate for you to assume they all do and that they all had their tanks replaced. Also, why is the gas tank lid painted green (at least from the picture you posted - not saying its wrong - just curious)?

I have seen to many painted tanks for not been original but as you say it could be in the early production.

Last edited by sweden on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

sweden wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
Haha love you to.

Car was not driven so much in the 50´s. Remember you got an watch and nice vw sign to put on your cars if you have driven 100000km with same engine.
Soo with bad storage you get moisture and rust in the tank. Or perhaps the gasoline was of poor quality and caused rust. This was just a thought, as my time machine don´t work right now

Unrestored YES but not an untouched car
Newer front bumper and look on the FUEL CAP GREEN color.

You misunderstood me, I just meant where did all painted gas tanks come from? All that i have seen could not come from wrecked verts.

I have seen to many painted tanks for not been original but as you say it could be in the early production.

Last edited by sweden on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

well, Im jut adding another to the list...my Azur 51 has a black tank.
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

sled wrote:

Thanks for helping.
I know that most have black fuel tank, but i is still wonder how it can be that so many have old painted fuel tanks.

But it could be an early production but then is the question when come this change? I see more painted from 1950 then 1952.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: correct tank color for Azure Blue? Reply with quote

sweden wrote:
sled wrote:

Thanks for helping.
I know that most have black fuel tank, but i is still wonder how it can be that so many have old painted fuel tanks.

But it could be an early production but then is the question when come this change? I see more painted from 1950 then 1952.

I think the answer is Lazy German factory workers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: