Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Hood Rack Ideas...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

I knocked this rough draft together as a concept for a customer. I've fixed the bar alignment (after taking these pics), so everything is now symmetrical. What do you guys think?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

It looks nice. My concern though is anything stored/carried on it would block your view...sort of like the people who mount a tire on the hood. Our hoods don't slope enough to emulate the Type 82. I did see one of the Domeck bros. had a hood with a tire that fit down in it. Along those lines, could you drop the front and rear support bars lower so the slats came nearer to the hood? Just a thought.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

Love the look, wonder about the functionality.

Leery of cargo heading towards windshield as well as the vision issue mentioned earlier.

Bet it would be loud in the wind.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

First off, the Thing Shop offers this:

Looking to your design, I like the idea that it is an actual rack that holds luggage off the sheet metal. I would make the standoffs shorter though, so that the rack sat just a 1/4 to 3/8 inch above the sheet metal, to keep everything as low as possible. I would add a rail along the front and sides to keep things from wanting to slide off the front. I would also tighten up the radius of the front corners of the rack if possible. In the event that you might actually want to put a suitcase there, which will likely be rectangular, it will be a more efficient use of the space.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

The uprights are 2' on the Beta. I may try to take it down to 1' but it would endanger the paint when installing bungee cords/tie-down implements. I had envisioned a 'spider-bungee net'' covering the load surface with small eyelets for hooks.

I used all steel for this mock-up, but the actual rack will have 2 1/2' oak slats that are recessed into the frame so that the wood surface will be ever so slightly higher than the frame. It will look really clean! I plan to make a run of matching rear racks with wood slats, too. Nothing beats a matching set!

Captain Spalding may be right. I'll reconsider the additional rail.

I had The Thing Shop's hood bar for years, but it was essentially a huge hood ornament. I'm not knocking it... I simply think we can do better.
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

Keep up the good work Eric, i was looking at my rack the other day and considering wood slats going perpendicular. Cliff Waugaman in Pa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Hood Rack Ideas... Reply with quote

I'm going to do one like the last picture but in K Copper Pipe
I have thought about having a bottom to it sitting Just above the hood
And all my feet are going to be using mushroom corks and Probably just Strap it down

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: