Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Wheel Kits [splines]
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

I have an average 11in. 3 bolt 3 spoke steering wheel on my buggy the brand name as far as I can tell is [the 500] and the piece that fits on the back of the wheel has damaged splines and it looks like I need to replace pretty much everything but the wheel.

I've been told that there are replacement kits that will fit most of these [black 3 spoke] wheels that also have the center caps and the horn mechanisms as well.

But I'm not finding them at any stores.

Does anyone out there know what I'm looking for?

If so, where can I find them.

I like my steering wheel and I'd hate to have to replace it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

Depending on what year your column is

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D79%2D4015

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D79%2D4116

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D79%2D4017

brad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

Look up GRANT wheels, When I did my restoration I found Grand adapter and wheels at FLAPS, but alas they no longer have them, look online and get out of tunnel vision mode that it has to be from a VW parts store.... Try Summit, JEGS, Grant products...

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/browse/installation-kits/

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

slalombuggy,

Thanks for the rapid reply and links. CIP1.ca is one of the stores I didn't look at and I didn't know that what I was looking for was considered an adapter.

I don't know much about steering wheels [still learning] and I never thought about the steering column year being an issue, I thought they were pretty much all the same. I should have known there was different ones.

Anyway the second one of the links looks to be the one that will do the job. My donor is a '56. I'll have the local VW mechanic look and make sure what I have.

Thanks
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

Dale M.

Thanks for the reply.

Summit was the first place I looked. I didn't see what I was looking for but I kept seeing those Grant wheels. The pics didn't show if everythjing I needed came with the wheels or not though.

My steering wheel isn't a grant so I hope their adapter kit will work with my 'the 500'.

If worst came to worst I was going to try and find out more about the 11 1/2'' Grant from Summit.

Thanks again, this isn't the first time you've given me info throughout the years.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

I think the 500 wheel might have been made by Superior Industries.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

Oval window steering column splines look like this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

58-67 steering column splines look like this
Over9K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

This is weird... this thread reminded me of this exchange I read, while shopping for the steering wheel adapter for my buggy...

Note that the seller claims the Grant Adapter won't work with the Superior steering wheel.

This exchange can be found on the Amazon entry for the Grant Adapter for 58-67 columns, which I purchased to install a nice wood-rimmed Grant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMH3J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

Most all steering wheels whether they are Grant, Superior 500, Mooneyes, Speedway Motors, and other use the same 3 bolt pattern to bolt to a steering wheel adapter.
I used, installed the above mention brands and other off brands steering wheels and found all had the same 3 bolt pattern.
Any parts place that carries Empi parts should have or be able to get you a adapter as they show all 3 steering shaft spline sizes in their catalog.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
ev88f
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Kits [splines] Reply with quote

Same 3 bolt pattern. They fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: