Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bare metal before paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: bare metal before paint Reply with quote

hi all. so im at the stage where i have primed and am now wet sanding with 400-600 grit. there are small areas where i have wet sanded where the bare metal is popping thru slightly. it is perfectly smooth, however, i want to know do i need to ensure it is all completely covered in primer before i do a final sand before paint? im going to get a single stage paint done when it is sanded completely with 600. so excited to finally see the entire car so close to getting a final coat!!! then the real fun begins....re assembly!.

thanks Giddy Up
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: bare metal before paint Reply with quote

More priming and sanding is needed .
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: bare metal before paint Reply with quote

With a high gloss paint job you will be able to see as little as one layer of paint difference so you should apply another layer over the entire panel in account of this. This is in contrast to if you 'feather edge' it in which it will transition well but still be noticeable if looked at close.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: bare metal before paint Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I had a few areas on my '94 Ram that I painted L334 Glacier Blue like that but I put down a sealer coat b4 the final color to get it all one color. Turned out very nice in the end.

Plan your next step & execute ... it's all a learning experience.

Good luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: bare metal before paint Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
I put down a sealer coat b4 the final color

As jinx said you will definitely want to put a sealer on before top coating. Not only does this make your top coat more uniform, but it adds an extra layer of protection.

Use a light gray sealer for light colors, or for dark colors just have it tinted to a dark gray. Paint store guy will usually help you out on this.

If it was me, I would get everything primed then lightly wet sand trying not to break thru. Then seal coat, then top coat. The sealer can be top coated without sanding as long as you don't wait too long. Just read the can, follow the mfg instructions and you're good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: