Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Facebook killed the internet for car guys
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I've never been on Facebook...and I don't intend to ever be.

All of my VW buddies know this and when there are shows and meets posted somewhere they text me to let me know. Otherwise, I'd never know about them. There are a few websites I watch for shows, but most stuff is now on FB.

The funny part is the guys say there are pictures of my hippy car on FB often with people asking who owns the car. They all have a lot of fun saying, "no one knows, it's a big secret. It's some homeless guy that feeds cats in the Walmart parking lot." Shocked

My lack of FB has created a mystique. Anxious
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I must be a caveman, don't text either.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Well wadda ya know, it was pretty easy to spit out a chart of Gallery posts by month over time.
BAM!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow! interesting.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

That's awesome- no wonder the spikes coincide with a late winter of unemployment in 2009, hernia surgery recovery in 2016, etc.. My apologies.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

This isn't exactly related to the topic but...

I just started listing my rebuilt carbs on the buy sell Facebook groups.

I don't really use or like FB, but I figured I'd give it a try. I've had good luck using marketplace.

Holy Shit! You really have to have a thick filter to not cause an entire cluster of chaos. Especially as a seller.

The amount of retards in those groups who comment... and the trolls.

However, there are some people who know what they're talking about, and who shine light in the comments section.

I've been ignoring the absolutely nuts comments, but I come here to ask, Is this a normal thing?

The samba seems.. IDK. More civulized Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

Yup,
Normal for those abnormals to congregate at FB Marketplace.
You want to see some real interesting banter try Next Door Shocked
I tried a couple of times to sell some non VW things in the past.
It was less traumatic to just set the stuff on the curb or drop off at the thrift.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I am not much of a fan of social media. I do not use Facebook but have an account. I am in my 30s but I guess I am old fashioned.

I love that TheSamba has maintained the same layout (essentially) as the day I signed up. The wealth of knowledge on this site is incredible. The entertainment factor is also top notch for me with the gallery and threads like the top 3 in "Reader's Rides".

I too was one that got hosed with the Photobucket scandal. I only recently started using The Gallery and wish I had done so years ago. I highly recommend it!

Thanks Everett for a killer site and thanks to those who keep this thing civil and running!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I bought something ONCE from Facebook Marketplace: a cross-bed truck toolbox for my smaller Nissan Frontier, was 10 miles away and $50 including two keys, Delta brand.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I stopped using FB years ago. It's full of trolls trying be funny and hateful towards people asking honest questions because they're not experts with their newly acquired VWs.

I too would like to thank Everett and his staff for maintaining this website for us to enjoy. I can't imagine what it'd be like not having TheSamba as a resource!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

Yeah I agree. The Facebook groups wish they could be anything like The Great Samba.

For your viewing pleasure. Most of these "potential buyers" are sooo retarded. Too many people who don't have a clue on what they're talking about.

Although, some people got their head right.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I think the only things that really work on Facebook now is if it's a group that is set to private and they are moderated.

I have slowly seen a bunch of groups I belong to and check from time to time going private, both due to spammers and to make sure you have the same interests as the group.

I browse a mostly local AZ bike buy/sell group on Facebook in case any bike stuff pops up I want and:
1. It's private and you must prove you have the interests of the group to even be approved.
2. They don't allow any bitching about prices on things that are for sale or really any negativity at all.
I believe one warning is given, then you are kicked out.

I admit I laughed at the "Do you have any darker pics" comment above though as it made me think of some Samba ads with random dark garage pics of their car where it's blocked in by stuff too and you can't see much detail

Thanks for all of the comments above guys.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

Like all things, it has its place.

I relocated three of the girls this year and bought about $25000 of Hugh quality furniture for under $1000 on FBM. THE T4 was the grab vehicle for everything except I had to car top an 8 foot Ethan Allen sofa

For specialty VW car troubleshooting?

Absolutely not. Not searchable and designed to keep you on, not fix your car.

If you saved over an hour working on your car, you owe Brother Barnes a Yellow Star.

- Johnny Cochran
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

My wife is forever saying, "Oh, I was going to show you something I saw on Facebook." An hour later she tells me what it was and is upset that she couldn't get back to it. I pretend to understand and go back to almost anything else. I understand that if I signed up I could feel the frustration she goes through also. I feel so selfish some times. Rolling Eyes
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I joined FB a little while back, mainly to catch up w/ stuff going on in my hometown that I left 40+ years ago in Ct.. The VW stuff is a joke, not even close to the quality of the Samba for VW knowledge & pricing, BUT I did sell my last Split Bus on FB, my Samba add was up for 2 weeks, over 1500 views and only 2 emails, sold it on FB in just a few days, BUT tons of idiot questions and low ball offers, all of which I did not bother to answer. I did manage to track down 2 guys that lived next door to me & worked w/ me in Colorado in the early 1980's, which was very cool, now I get to talk to them, on the phone, every few weeks.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

I've had good luck with VW people on FB Market. For a couple months a guy had a Bus Depot awning for sale ($50). I hemmed n hawed- knowing that it was a great deal but did I really want one? Then about 3 weeks ago he dropped the price to free. Of course I made the call and the drive. His story was unusual , address didn't match town, etc. But the deal was true and the guy was really nice- the awning was simply too complex for his dad to fight.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Financial Support Reply with quote

Nothing Is Free,
It takes money to operate a website.
That is why so many websites have either sold out or
host advertising that interferes with reading the content.
I try to maintain a premium membership.
Maybe if more folks were premium members - traffic here would increase.
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I think the only things that really work on Facebook now is if it's a group that is set to private and they are moderated.

I have slowly seen a bunch of groups I belong to and check from time to time going private, both due to spammers and to make sure you have the same interests as the group.

I browse a mostly local AZ bike buy/sell group on Facebook in case any bike stuff pops up I want and:
1. It's private and you must prove you have the interests of the group to even be approved.
2. They don't allow any bitching about prices on things that are for sale or really any negativity at all.
I believe one warning is given, then you are kicked out.

I admit I laughed at the "Do you have any darker pics" comment above though as it made me think of some Samba ads with random dark garage pics of their car where it's blocked in by stuff too and you can't see much detail

Thanks for all of the comments above guys.

Everett,

I think I met you at least once many years ago at
a car show at The Pavilions in Scottsdale.

I try to maintain a premium membership to financially support
The Samba but Thank You for not characterizing Facebook as
" The Enemy " and prohibiting the name from being mentioned
on your forum.

I have been an Alliance Member over on The HAMB since
2008 and the owner there won't allow mention of Facebook.

Everything is good that furthers the Hobby.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

SHHHHHHHHHHH! Facebook is the new Wild West for buying VW stuff. Ironically, you can find some sweet deals if you’re willing to sift through the piles of dog shit.

The problem for sellers is that they are relatively oblivious to where to post. Theres a lot listed on random small VW Facebook enthusiast “seller groups” that have minimal traffic. I swooped some good stuff lately that had sat for a while on one. Way less competition from the buzzards here. It’s also a function of young tech savvy sellers that don’t know the value and old people that don’t know the technology.

A friend of mine actually just bought a splitty for a VERY reasonable price today on one of the more obscure ones.

It’s counter productive for getting the highest dollar more often than not.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Facebook killed the internet for car guys Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
SHHHHHHHHHHH! Facebook is the new Wild West for buying VW stuff. Ironically, you can find some sweet deals if you’re willing to sift through the piles of dog shit.

The problem for sellers is that they are relatively oblivious to where to post. Theres a lot listed on random small VW Facebook enthusiast “seller groups” that have minimal traffic. I swooped some good stuff lately that had sat for a while on one. Way less competition from the buzzards here. It’s also a function of young tech savvy sellers that don’t know the value and old people that don’t know the technology.

A friend of mine actually just bought a splitty for a VERY reasonable price today on one of the more obscure ones.

It’s counter productive for getting the highest dollar more often than not.

Yep, I’ve gotten a steal on some engine parts there for sure. But I can’t stand it. I go on every few weeks to see if there is anything interesting for sale. I’ve only bought one thing through market place and sold two things. What I sold was a mess and someone bought a swivel seat base for $25 bucks and I had said it should fit but I was wrong and got someone yelling at me about it for days because I didn’t have all the parts for it. Rolling Eyes the only other part needed was welded into the bus. The second transaction didn’t go great either but they were both partially my fault but both met will yelling, screaming and blaming and didn’t really want to work with me to come to a solution.

For picking up steals, good ole Craigslist. Not much listed on there especially since they started charging to advertise cars but check out the auto parts sections and you can find stuff cheap, I found my Squareback in the auto parts section for $700 and got it for $500 because few saw the ad. Turned out to be low miles, one/two owner well documented with original paint. Then found some nice T3 engine parts on there for cheap.

Facebook and Craigslist are great for bigger, low dollar parts you only want to do local sale on because they aren’t worth shipping. The Samba classifieds are great for smaller parts and high dollar parts. With out The Samba I definitely wouldn’t be 17 with 3 classic VW’s and anywhere near as knowledgeable about VWs
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: