Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

next question.

what's the story with the power input and out put on this European 1995 T4 Transporter with Westfalia kit?

I have never been to a campground with ... what is it called?... power supply? hookup?

Anyway, what do North American power hookups look like? what kind of power do they offer?

My camper has this socket on the outside:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and it has a 220V socket on the inside. (which is obviously fairly useless )

Does this internal socket only function when hooked up to an external power supply?

So what modifications should I be thinking of for North American use? (besides solar panels, which is under consideration, but is a seperate project)
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
next question.

what's the story with the power input and out put on this European 1995 T4 Transporter with Westfalia kit?

I have never been to a campground with ... what is it called?... power supply? hookup?

Anyway, what do North American power hookups look like? what kind of power do they offer?

My camper has this socket on the outside:

That is a 16A Commando plug. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309
Quote:

and it has a 220V socket on the inside. (which is obviously fairly useless )

Does this internal socket only function when hooked up to an external power supply?

Almost certainly. I doubt very much there would be an inverter fitted.
Quote:

So what modifications should I be thinking of for North American use? (besides solar panels, which is under consideration, but is a seperate project)

I'd leave the external plug alone, and make up a patch cord: 3-pin US type to Commando socket. - almost certainly you'll want a 'blue' socket. Internally just change out the EU socket with a US one. All fuses and breakers etc can probably stay the same, though they may be lower current than you'd might wish.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Almost certainly. I doubt very much there would be an inverter fitted.

Be very careful, Westfalia installed both 120v to 12v inverters and 220v to 12v inverters on the T4 and Westfalia Sprinter James Cook. Do not just replace the 220v plugs with 120v without confirming the wiring.

The Eurovan Westfalia has a compressor fridge onboard that runs off battery power. Westfalia installed an inverter power supply and battery maintainer to keep the Eurovan batteries happy when parked.

Busdepot used to sell this accessory to the Vanagon crowd years ago before the supply ran out. There was a few threads on the part here as well.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

Here is the thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371339

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19717
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

Thanks for stating that - though I'd call a 120 - 12V device a charger (or converter) not an inverter. Inverters do the 'inverse' - they step the voltage up rather than the usual stepping down. Chargers (going from say 220V to 12V) normally are dual voltage these days aren't they? Perhaps back in '95 they still had transformers in them rather than being switch-mode.

But yes, check for that!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

This thread belongs on the Eurovan forum!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

Harrumph, this is an outrage!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Harrumph, this is an outrage!
Why? Moving this question from the Vanagon forum to here where it belongs helps the low posting rate!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

so, if a north american campsite has 110v service and I plugged that via a patch cord inito the van, would that not send 110v power to the socket on the interior?
Or is it not that simple?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

hook up 110v on the outside and use a meter to test the inside to see if you are getting the same.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cap2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Q4: Power supply 1995 Westfalia camper Reply with quote

I know this post is old, but for the benefit of anyone else who needs this info:

The battery charger below the fridge in my '95 Canadian Westfalia says on it that it takes input from 110 -- 220, same as many electronics sold globally these days.

If this is true of yours, you should be able to just use simple US <==> european adapters without doing any power conversion yourself: the battery charger will properly convert either 110. or 220 correctly to charge the battery. The power outlet in your photo is just a direct pass-thru from the shore power, so if you plug into 110 at the campground, you will get 110 from the european socket inside the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: