Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
My 2001 Eurovan has been difficult to start for the last week. Either hot or cold it takes around 2 to 3 cranks before it catches. The Starter turns over fine.

On Friday the van was idling outside waiting to load everyone for a trip when it turned off. No bad noises, it just stopped running.

When I went to restart it would only turn over but no catching at all.

I have had the check engine light on and knew that the timing chains probably need to be replaced, just didn't have the time to take it off the road for a month to pull the transmission and replace everything.

Here are the codes from VCDS

Saturday,10,March,2018,17:10:50:03298
VCDS Release 18.2.0 (x64):  Generic OBD2
Mode 03: Emission related fault codes

Address 10 (Engine): 7 Faults Found:
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Malfunction
P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G163): Malfunction
P0346 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G163): Implausible Signal
P0030 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Heating Circuit: Malfunction / Open Circuit
P0135 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1; Heating Circuit: Malfunction
P1296 - Manufacturer specific code
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal

Address 1A (Auto Trans): No fault code found.

What is the likelyhood that the Cam Position Sensors are causing this and not a jumped timing chain?
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Cam position sensor codes are a telltale sign of an imminent timing chain replacement.

It sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and do the timing chain.

http://westy-werks.com/blog/2013/01/29/attention-all-eurovan-owners/
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Understood, I'm just trying to postpone the inevitable. I'm in the far north where my Vanagons are hibernating until May....

I need this van running until then when I can get it indoors and fixed. Laughing
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Has anyone had cam position sensors fail on their own causing a no start issue?
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
I need this van running until then when I can get it indoors and fixed. Laughing

Not a smart idea IMO. Did you read though that link I attached? You keep running it and you'll be looking at an engine rebuild instead of just the chains and guides.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Is there a way to quickly check the chain condition then? I want to make sure that the chain hasn't already broken or something.

I don't hear any wierd noises when I try to start it if that is any indication. Laughing

There is no way I'm doing this job in an open driveway in the winter, I have my limits.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

I'm guessing the first point of action should be a compression test of each cylinder to see if they are holding compression (no bent valves).

Is this correct?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Probably simplest way to check for bent valves, yes
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Ok I'm going to get the compression testing done by Tuesday.

If all passes, I'll need to decide if I just remove the transmission or the engine and transmission combined.

It sounds like taking the transmission out by itself is pretty bad since the engine has to be tilted downward to get the right clearance.

To be continued...
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Has anyone had cam position sensors fail on their own causing a no start issue?

Yes, I just did. On a long trip, first my EPC light would go on and off, it seemed to be related to speed. Then check engine light, Camshaft Position Sensor. Kept dying out then wouldn't restart. Had sensor replaced and have put about 1000 miles on since with no problems. It actually seems to be running better.
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Replace your Camshaft Position Sensors first, clear your codes and see what happens.

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone,
I've ordered the 2 camshaft position sensors and the temp sensor to clear the P1296 - Manufacturer specific code.

As soon as the parts are in from Europarts-sd.com, I'll install and update

Cheers
Gruppe B
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

the worn timing chains will throw the sensor triggers on the engine ever so slightly out of time. This will show faults on all cam position sensors. its rare for all to fail at the same time. IMHO your only option is to renew the chains, replacing sensors will be futile
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

My concern is that the vehicle is not running anymore and doesn't show the misfire codes that are prevalent with an engine really out of time.

Doesn't the Camshaft Position Sensor act as the Hall Effect Sensor controlling spark? A failed hall effect will definitely not allow an engine to start.

My question is what is causing the engine not to run? I don't think it's the chains as I did not hear any terrible noises when the engine shut off by itself.

we'll see what happens,
First check, change Camshaft Position sensors
Second check, compression, all cylinders
Third check, remove valve cover to see chain condition

Last edited by Gruppe B on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Jumped timing or broken chain usually doesn’t make a lot of noise, when you remove one of the cam sensors, have someone crank the engine, if the cam doesn’t turn, save the money on compression test and send the sensors back.

Does the engine sound different when cranking? When the valves bend & there’s no compression, the engine spins faster.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Jumped timing or broken chain usually doesn’t make a lot of noise, when you remove one of the cam sensors, have someone crank the engine, if the cam doesn’t turn, save the money on compression test and send the sensors back.

Does the engine sound different when cranking? When the valves bend & there’s no compression, the engine spins faster.

The starting sound is no different than before, it just not firing. I'll try and pull the Camshaft Position sensors today and take a look.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of varnish on the upper Camshaft postion sensor.

Good news, maybe. The cams are still spinning in the head. I filmed a video so that I could see what was happening when the engine turned over.

I'll pull the other sensor and clean it up as well. Then try and start it up again.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

Both sensors were really filthy but not sure if working or not.

When both were disconnected, tachometer was still receiving a signal (needle bouncing) so they are not acting in the same way as the Hall Effect Sensor on the WBX Vanagons and early Eurovans.

Senders should arrive in the next few days, then if that doesn't work on to compression and valve cover.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

I started a compression test tonight.

Cylinders 2 and 4 only show 80psi cold. Ran out of time to check the rest...

Looks like bent valves. Yay...

Might purchase a leak down tester to fully confirm but don't have a good reason why such a low compression number than damaged valves.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 Eurovan GLS difficult to start now wont start Reply with quote

The engine might have jumped timing enough to allow valves to not seat completely on a compression stroke, bent valves will usually result in no compression, so you still might be lucky...ish.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: