Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Names
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daylight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Names Reply with quote

howdy names of ghias? the early years lowlight, late years fat chick but the years 70 and 71?? plus years ghias had oval tail lights??
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: names Reply with quote

The wonder years?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: names Reply with quote

I call my 70/71 bastard “Rose”

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

My car’s don’t have names, but my guitars do.
Cool
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

I have a '72 Ghia. I got it from an estate sale and finished the rebuild that guy started. I thought of Black Widow, said naa, it might be at MY estate sale. So I went with "50 Shades of Black".
VW Wiring = It's just wires

Last edited by runamoc on Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

daylight wrote:
howdy names of ghias? the early years lowlight, late years fat chick but the years 70 and 71?? plus years ghias had oval tail lights??

Well---if "low-lights" were through 1959 and the big tail lights came along in 1970, I guess I'd just have to call the "oval" tail light cars "Sexy Sixties". Very Happy
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

I had a 57 that I called "The Buzz Mobile" because the 36 hp motor made a buzzing wine when revving through the gears. Bought that car for $35 because the owner thought the trans was shot as it wouldn't move in any gear... $10 rear brake drum from wrecking yard and drove it anywhere for years till I gave it to my girl friend I lived with.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

daylight wrote:

Not sure if there is a specific name or label for 70-71.

I call mine Sophia. Italian design, Sexy, Classically perfect Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

Isn't it obvious that if Karmann Ghias through 1959 are considered the "low lights", then the 1960 through 1969 Karmann Ghias with the "oval taillights" should be considered the " highlights" of Karmann Ghia design?

I mean seriously, I love the look of the headlights lower in the front fenders, but those rectangular taillights make no design sense what so ever.
The "oval taillights", however, are clearly the best possible shape to accentuate the curves of those rear fenders.

IMO, ...
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

New naming convention:
Pre-1960= Pontoon balloons
1960-1969= normals
1970-1971= confusions
1972 and later= well, at least they drive nice
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

The 'Fat Chicks' reference was for Superbeetles.

bnc
chris fryer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Names Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Isn't it obvious that if Karmann Ghias through 1959 are considered the "low lights", then the 1960 through 1969 Karmann Ghias with the "oval taillights" should be considered the " highlights" of Karmann Ghia design?

I mean seriously, I love the look of the headlights lower in the front fenders, but those rectangular taillights make no design sense what so ever.
The "oval taillights", however, are clearly the best possible shape to accentuate the curves of those rear fenders.

IMO, ...

I think that if you look at LL rear lights in relation to the intended bumper over riders the design language speaks volumes.

Apologies for going off topic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965 Porsche 912/6 https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/3826-australian-delivered-1965-912-restoration
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: