Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultra maroon paint codes.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

I have a customer painting a Ultra Maroon 54 bug. Has anyone had any experience with this color code in Sikkens or Glasorit paint. We can't seem to find a code so the color wheel is his only option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Talk to my brother...
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Thanks Trev I didn't think the paint was on that yet. Will do.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

And then let the rest of us know. Laughing I had my local paint rep search for Ultramaroon, and only found it in the PPG Global line. But it looks a bit to silver for me. Instead of trying to color match the faded parts that I have, I'd like to see what other brands look like.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

I PM’d you about the code yesterday, no response.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

sorry about the slow response Keith PM sent

Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

L276 Ultramaroon metallic is in the Glasurit Classic series, but you have to search for Kaefer (German for beetle) instead of beetle.

http://color-online.glasurit.com/CCC/new/index.php

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
EBSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Anyone have a current paint code / availability? I talked to a paint shop today and they were unable to help...
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

I went here and searched for "volkswagen" under manufacturer and "1954" to "1954" for the year to get the formula because the other link above was no longer working.

https://color-online.glasurit.com/

VOLKSWAGEN L276 ULTRAMAROON MET 1954-1955
Glasurit Line 90

Target
1.00 ltr

Base Amount Cumulative UNIT
M4 675.7 675.7 g
M99/00 61.0 736.7 g
A926 46.2 782.9 g
A306 34.8 817.7 g
A528 30.3 848.0 g
A032 28.0 875.9 g
A105 15.0 891.0 g
A350 2.6 893.6 g
M1 110.9 1004.5 g

Formula Date 29-05-2015
Price Code II
EBSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm not sure what ask that means but hopefully my paint guy will!

billb wrote:
I went here and searched for "volkswagen" under manufacturer and "1954" to "1954" for the year to get the formula because the other link above was no longer working.

https://color-online.glasurit.com/

VOLKSWAGEN L276 ULTRAMAROON MET 1954-1955
Glasurit Line 90

Target
1.00 ltr

Base Amount Cumulative UNIT
M4 675.7 675.7 g
M99/00 61.0 736.7 g
A926 46.2 782.9 g
A306 34.8 817.7 g
A528 30.3 848.0 g
A032 28.0 875.9 g
A105 15.0 891.0 g
A350 2.6 893.6 g
M1 110.9 1004.5 g

Formula Date 29-05-2015
Price Code II
EBSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

None of the local paint suppliers can mix this paint, I'm also unable to go to any paint shop and look at samples at the moment due to COVID19 and "stay at home" order.
Does anyone have anything they have had mixed that's close to Ultra Maroon in a different brand like a ppg product?
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

I accept paypal as a form of thank you... Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EBSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Thank you! My painter is ready for the car as of today and I finally have a chance!
Yustrn wrote:
I accept paypal as a form of thank you... Laughing
vanity12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

31973 i Googleed this.....id love to know if anyone has something better
ChewyBee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Exactly what I need and you guys were great showing the way to go.

Beetle, Transporter, Ghia, Wagon, Rabbit, Jetta, Scirocco.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChewyBee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Now I understand the challenges here in this thread in obtaining the original paint color for the 54 Ultramaroon. Today I visited one automotive paint supply place and showed them the DuPont image shown in this thread. Immediately he said that paint is obsolete but didn't say why. He tried a scan to obtain the closest match and out of a 10 point scale it rated as a 6, which showed instead of a soft brown it was actually a rose color. He then showed a number of colors on a color wheel and again they all were different.

From there I went to Sutherland Automotive as they are the ones who carry the Glasurit paint here in Saskatoon as shown in a prior post. They for one can't sell to the public and only sell the individual colors that make up the base color. From there I headed to a family owned autobody company in Saskatoon and it turns out the paint they use is Glasurit. But...the problem is bigger than where the paint color can be acquired. In Canada years ago solvent based were banned, so only waterborne paints are used instead. So as a touch up paint, waterborne paints won't stick to a prior solvent base color. Ugh.

Perhaps a private blend can be made that is solvent base?

It turns out that Utltramaroon oil base paint 100ml can be obtained from Western Europe for $69 Austrian dollars which is similar to Canadian with free shipping. https://colorndrive.com/au/touch-up-paint/volkswagen-kaefer-ultramaroon-met-l276,146863/details

In my case I only need touch up paint for now. I'll let you know more as I learn it.

Last edited by ChewyBee on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Sounds like you're having a tough time finding the paint. I think you may be getting a little confused on the paints though. Automotive paints are either solvent based, or waterborne. Oil/ Latex...that's a house paint thing.

If it's just touch up paint you need...it's going to be difficult. PPG still has Ultra maroon in their old catalogs. I'm pretty sure that info can be found on the internet, and your paint shop can tint to match the you are blending or painting. PPG does look a little "Pink" to me though. I found it in their Global line.

I haven't seen very good examples of Ultra maroon that still have metallic present in it. So it looks really flat. Trying to blend or paint match parts for an Ultra maroon car is something I wouldn't attempt. Getting it in a single stage (no clear coat used) will never look right. Metallic single stage is a tough paint to blend. Hope this helps you...
ChewyBee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Thanks, I made the changes to my post in the forum.

Problem I have is getting a touch up paint for the interior of my beetle. It had green spray paint over the original Ultramaroon for 60 years so I doubt it is sun faded at all. I removed the green and all in all the paint looks great. It still has metalic flecks and two tiny colors that make up the overall color. Other than painting it all again, how do you touch it up then with waterborne paints? Or does the waterborne paints cause no issue to this equation? Is the issue just matching the various components of the paint?

So to match this type of a paint
1) paint one color?
2) paint another color?
3) add metalic flecks?

Wouldn't that be impossible? LOL

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

You won't be able to touch up with water borne. In WA (Probably most states in the USA?) paint supply houses don't tint to match water borne paints yet for the customer. My local supplier can sell water born tint bases (black/ white/ blue/ yellow, ect) but not a specific paint code.

I've painted water borne...and if you used it "touch up" areas...you'd have to clear coat the entire interior. Not something that most DIY'ers are set up to do at home. You'd be doing a "blend" and stretching out the blended area to look like you were never there painting. There are only a few areas exposed in an Oval once all the interior is in. Door surrounds, dash, b-pillar edge (with the door latch) and the header (where the sunvisors mount). Unless it's a Standard...but I never knew a standard being painted in a metallic? Would be awesome!!

Where do you need to touch up?

EDIT
No...you aren't painting one color/ painting another color/ and adding metallic flakes. The paint code is mixed into a can...and sprayed all at the same time.
Single stage= no clear coat (the shininess is buffed after cured)
Two Stage= Base coat is sprayed (the color looks flat) Followed by clear coat
ChewyBee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultra maroon paint codes. Reply with quote

Yup, it is a Canadian standard or basic. It does have metalic flecks. As a result most of the interior is painted. I'll get a close up of the paint later.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: