Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I made a cover....
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: I made a cover.... Reply with quote

Living in West Texas, where it gets really hot in the summer, and having black seats, I got tired of second degree burns every time I got in the car after work.

Enlisting my wife's help, we went to Walmart and bought 3 yards of inexpensive muslin after measuring the passenger compartment (roughly 56" X 78").

After she performed her sewing magic, I had a piece the right size with ties on each corner and about a 1/2" fold-over on each end. I stuck a piece a 1/2" CPVC (it's a bit smaller outside diameter) through the fold-over on each end as a stiffener, found a couple metal loops to tie to in the back of the car, and stretched it out. We tied the front ties to the bases of the rear-view mirror mounts.

To give a bit of room for air flow, I found a piece of 3/4" PVC, put a cap on it, and cut it long enough to sit on top of the tunnel. My better half put an extra layer or two of material in the right spot as a pad for the PVC cap.

When not in use, the cover is untied from the front and rolled up. I used a piece of Velcro to secure it for driving.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: I made a cover.... Reply with quote

Very cool. (Pun intended Smile)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: I made a cover.... Reply with quote

Neat idea. Those seats do get hot in the Texas sun! I did notice in your picture that your convertible top isn’t rolled up correctly - do you drive it like that?
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: I made a cover.... Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
Neat idea. Those seats do get hot in the Texas sun! I did notice in your picture that your convertible top isn’t rolled up correctly - do you drive it like that?

When I rolled it up this last time, I tucked it under the frame, which wasn't a bright idea. I need to pull it out and re-roll it.
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: