Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Guys,
I received the following email this morning

Hi Gary,

This is Terri, Tom Powell's daughter. I regret to inform you that my dad passed away on Thursday morning due to complications from his chronic leukemia.

My kids and I were with him for the week or so while he was in the hospital in Los Angeles. He was very private about his health, but lived life to the fullest.

Although having never met you, you are considered family as you have done so much for my dad and have been so gracious with your time, your manao (Hawaiian for expertise), and welcoming him at your home.

Hope all is well with you.

Terri

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

I've known Tom since about 2011 or so when he brought his 1969 camper down to San Diego for me to fix a chronic oil leak. He then made a couple other trips. The last was a year ago when he, Telford, and I swapped out his heater boxes for OG boxes.

Tom joined the Samba on December 1, 2005. He posted his first thread in 2008 and had a total of 4847 posts. He frequented the Bay Window forum as well as the Vanagon forum and owned two Vanagons and a bus. He kept one Vanagon in Oahu and the other two VW's in Beverly Hills where he still owned his parent's house on the edge of Beverly Hills.

Tom grew up in Los Angeles. His Dad was a machinist at McDonnell Douglas I believe. Tom received a BS in Engineering and then joined the Air Force where he spent many years flying long haul cargo routes. I'm not sure if he got his 20 years and retired but he eventually joined Aloha Airlines and retired at the mandatory age of 60 as a 737 Captain. Tom loved snow skiing and would come out to California every winter and would make a trip or two in his bus to meet fellow Airline friends for ski vacations.

You may recognize his avatar

We considered ourselves brother aviators and spent many hours reliving memories of the glory days. Tom carried a huge pile of photographs that he loved to share. He had a great personality and I honestly can't ever remember Tom saying a bad word about anyone. Tom was very generous and even though I never charged him for working on his bus he always left me some sort of gift like tools or shop supplies. Last year he bought me a good, used, steering gearbox and had it shipped to me knowing that I was playing around rebuilding them. He was very thoughtful. I'll miss him.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat

Last edited by aeromech on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

I had no idea he was sick! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Condolences to Tom's family, Tom gave me a warm welcome here when I first joined up.

Sad
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

He was a good man and shall be missed.
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

My Condolences. RIP.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Gary~

I am so sorry. I really enjoyed Tom's wit and sense of humor. I had no idea he was ill.

my sincerest condolences to his friends and family. I wish I had met him and shared a beer or 20 with him

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear of his passing. He was a good guy and will be missed.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad ...Rest in peace Tom Powell....
Ray
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

My time here has been brief, but it was clear Tom was a kind and knowledgeable man, he gave guidance and support to me in many of occasions.
Cruise easy Tom, and condolences to his family and friends.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

I'm saddened to hear that, Tom was a great guy, we'll all miss him.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Only the body is gone, the Man and his impact have bent the wrinkle of Time forever. My prayers to comfort the family and friends.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

RIP TP, you’ll be missed
’65 Deluxe Build
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Gary,

Thanks for letting us know! I always enjoyed reading whatever Tom had to say.

Godspeed Tom! RIP.

Crying or Very sad
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Here's another email from Tom's Daughter

Gary,

Thank you for posting that on the Samba. I shared it with the rest of the family. I'm sure my dad has a big smile on his face right now. A little bit surprised and a little bit proud.

I shared this cartoon with my dad years ago after he joined The Samba. He didn't really get it at first, but after he realized that he logged in to The Samba first thing in the morning and last thing at night and loved the forum and the people he met through it, he GOT it.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Gary...

if his family needs anything and I can help, let me know. there is a handful of members here I would do anything for....he was one.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

To his family and closest friends - I am sorry you've lost such an important person in your life.

Just before opening this thread I was sitting here looking at my late father's photo and some mementos of his time flying C-130's, He met Holly, my late mother on Oahu during WWII. He was ferrying supplies to Iwo Jima from Oahu in a PB4Y-2 (the USCG/Naval single tail equal of a B-24). I think some people choose the sky because they know they will always be looking down and smiling at us even when they are gone from here in body.

Gary - if you find a spark plug wire disconnected at least you'll know who did it and that he is thinking of you. My deepest condolences.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind thoughts you guys. I haven’t lost someone this close to me in a long time and it means a lot.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this Aeromech..
Some of the posters on this forum have been lucky enough to know each other personally..I'm residing deep in the north Atlantic of Canada and the chances of meeting any of you is rare,But Tom's passing is sadly one person I won't meet for sure..Leukemia and cancer took my Dad 6 years ago,and he was a tough SOB Vietnam Vet..and that wasn't pretty to see..Tom seemed like a level headed guy that always chimed in with helpful responses..alot of you guys do too.. Maybe if I'm out any of your way across this great continent I can look some of you up,put a face to the name and discuss the shared silly hobby we all seem to enjoy,and if any reason someone ends up up in my neck of the woods,please don't hesitate to contact me..
I'd like to thank all of you (Baywindow and all other forums on The
Samba)for taking time out of your day to share experiences,advice and just general banter..
When I got my first VW in 1995,there was nothing for me other than ratty manuals and the luck of meeting a few people that knew what they were doing..This place is Invaluable..
Take care of yourselves..
-Matt
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Powell is gone but not forgotten Reply with quote

I'm too new here to have known him, but I recognize his avatar. Sounds like an Awesome guy. Sorry to hear he passed and for those left behind with heavy hearts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: