Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plump Truck & the Gutless Wonder
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Plump Truck & the Gutless Wonder Reply with quote

No, I'm not lost or just stumbled into the fatchick forum by mistake. Rolling Eyes

I got a '68 truck now and if you didn't do the shindig at Andy's house the day before the Yuma show, then you missed the "ceremony" of my induction into fatchickdom. Laughing

Anyway, this fatchick needs a lot of work. I've got it almost road worthy except for the turn signals. It is totally missing the perenial emergency flasher unit, the one where all the wires go from the turn signal switch. I've called a couple of places and they don't even list it!?! Sad

I used the "search" button and got 635 hits including some "relay" race of some sort. So, do I HAVE TO get the correct relay or can I modify some contraption, or replace the turn signal switch with a later than '68 one which doesn't require such a relay box??? Confused

I really need to get this truck running "legal" as far as the lights is concerned. Wink
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Embarassed Forgot to post a pix:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what I had to begin with! Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need the infamous "black box" flasher, nobody makes an exact replacement anymore. Wolfsburg West makes this one, which is the closest replacement for it. I put one in my own 68 and its worked great so far (about 1 year). As for the turn signatl switch, you'd have to find a used one for the 68. Not sure if you can convert it to a later setup or not. Someone else have any experience with that?

Anyways, here's the link for the flasher:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953227BWW

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convert the rear light assembly to a European(?) two bulb system giving you a separate turn signal light. Pick up a 69 or 70 turn signal switch, convert the flasher relay to a two prong standard flasher. If you want Emergency flashers (I did away with mine) you will need a separate switch (a SP/ST toggle switch will work) tied across a two pole relay.

Yep, it isn't original, but it works and does away with a complicated expensive system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dj, thanks for the link, will keep it handy. Cool

busman, that's more like what I wanted to hear. For one, I already have euro tailights on my '65 Dormy and was thinking on doing the same for the truck. Also, it IS a truck and intended to be used as such. Hell, even my Dormy as nice as I keep it, was never intended to be an award winner of any kind. So if I have to get a pep boys generic signal lever and relay combo then that's what' it'll get. I was just hoping to find a quick and somewhat easy solution here. Thanks for the suggestion. Cool

As far a "correct" this that or the other, I already jammed a '78 steering box into it, including the very nice rubberized steering wheel! Razz
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my turn signal flasher with one right off the shelf at the nearest VW shop for fifteen bucks. Those three prong flashers are easy to get. It's a hell of a lot less expensive and time consuming than tracking down euro taillight housings and hacking the wiring for an HD12 flasher.

Quote:
No, I'm not lost or just stumbled into the fatchick forum by mistake.

Dont worry pal, I wont try to hang with you, we all know youre too cool for us. Rolling Eyes

Good luck.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
I replaced my turn signal flasher with one right off the shelf at the nearest VW shop for fifteen bucks. Those three prong flashers are easy to get. It's a hell of a lot less expensive and time consuming than tracking down euro taillight housings and hacking the wiring for an HD12 flasher.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. Already got the highbeam switch to work as well as the brake lights. Soon as I hook up the turn signals it'll be good to go! Razz

steponmebbbboom wrote:
Quote:
No, I'm not lost or just stumbled into the fatchick forum by mistake.

Dont worry pal, I wont try to hang with you, we all know youre too cool for us. Rolling Eyes

I know but hey, don't rub it in! Laughing
shakor44
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Truck Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
No, I'm not lost or just stumbled into the fatchick forum by mistake. Rolling Eyes

I got a '68 truck now and if you didn't do the shindig at Andy's house the day before the Yuma show, then you missed the "ceremony" of my induction into fatchickdom. Laughing

Anyway, this fatchick needs a lot of work. I've got it almost road worthy except for the turn signals. It is totally missing the perenial emergency flasher unit, the one where all the wires go from the turn signal switch. I've called a couple of places and they don't even list it!?! Sad

I used the "search" button and got 635 hits including some "relay" race of some sort. So, do I HAVE TO get the correct relay or can I modify some contraption, or replace the turn signal switch with a later than '68 one which doesn't require such a relay box??? Confused

I really need to get this truck running "legal" as far as the lights is concerned. Wink

Those trucks are a silly joke. Good luck trying to make it legal.
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Truck Reply with quote

shakor44 wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

So let's see a pic of your ride if we are going to be judgemental. Rolling Eyes
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Truck Reply with quote

splitty wrote:
shakor44 wrote:

So let's see a pic of your ride if we are going to be judgemental. Rolling Eyes

Laughing So'right! It drove sweet this morning to work. As I'm getting it together and just this close from "fixing" the signals, we'll see just who IS the joke! Razz
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, now maybe we can all learn to appreciate the "fatness" a little more now, huh? Smile
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still "working on" getting the signals fixed. However, also need the latching mechanisms for both treasure chest doors. Bungees are just tacky looking. Can anyone out there spare a set? Confused
wileysc71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Can anyone out there spare a set
For a long while I thought there weren't any left on the planet. And "no", a split one and later bay ones won't fit without serious mods. I ended up getting one from Gabriel at Gab's locks or something. He posts in the classifieds and has a website too. He had 2 and I was too broke to buy them both. Maybe he still has 1.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wileysc71 wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Can anyone out there spare a set
For a long while I thought there weren't any left on the planet. And "no", a split one and later bay ones won't fit without serious mods. I ended up getting one from Gabriel at Gab's locks or something. He posts in the classifieds and has a website too. He had 2 and I was too broke to buy them both. Maybe he still has 1.

For the life of me I can't even begin to figure out WHY would any frokin previous owner would just remove these mechanisms from the truck and install tacky bungees. I must assume they were purposely removed because all the bolts that holds them are in place but the items are gone! Evil or Very Mad
wileysc71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
For the life of me I can't even begin to figure out WHY would any frokin previous owner would just remove these
Ditto. My lock was still there, although broken internally. But the lock cylinder was gone. These locks were LONG gone on all the trucks I found being parted. I think someone has a garage full of them. I heard of a guy in Europe asking $250 for one. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flabay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Truck Reply with quote

shakor44 wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Every post from you SUCKS!!! PLEASE GO AWAY- YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE WITH ALL OF YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS!!!!

Nice SC Pyroman, I have always wanted a DC. Maybe someday!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flabay wrote:
Nice SC Pyroman, I have always wanted a DC. Maybe someday!

The funny thing is that, 1) I really don't care much at all for fatchicks but wanted a truck and the cab space on these just can't be beat, and 2) I wanted a TRUCK not a "passenger" vehicle. That's pretty much why I did not want a DC, kool though they are. Cool

For passenger/camping I already have the '65 Dormy. For a truck I think double cabs compromise on cargo space. But again, to each his own, whatever floats your boat or blows your skirt up, etc. Rolling Eyes

Another point that sold me on the fatchick SC is the fact that you just don't see that many of them around yet the DCs seem to be a dime a dozen. Confused

My trucks serial number is also a pretty much "early" one. Razz

Which makes me wonder just what are the production numbers. Think
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Truck Reply with quote

shakor44 wrote:

WTF? Try your cheerios WITHOUT the urine.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm getting the turn signal lights nearly figured out, but...

I got a funky in-dash lawnmower type starter switch and want to install a correct one on the column. Found one at the scrapyard but for the life of me I just could not remove it! Mad

I could have hammered the damn thing out but since I need it, I didn't want to ruin it in the process. So just HOW is it you remove the starter switch WITHOUT having a key!!!! Confused
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Truck Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I got a '68 truck now

Is that rear sidemarker just a reflector or does it have a bulb inside?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: