Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUGPYRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

rebuilding a 66 1300CC engine. It is 12V and I am adding the High-Power VW SVDA Distributor. So my dilemma is with the carburetor. What is the best option for a new carburetor as it still has the old 28-PICT-1. It is a 66 SN# starts with F.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

What is your hoped for end result by adding the SVDA? Why not just rebuild the distributor you have? Personally, on my 1300 I run a 113905205k with a 30pict-1 that has the fuel enrichment circuit and it runs just fine. Not much you can really squeeze out of a bone stock 1300 by adding a new distributor.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
BUGPYRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Old distributor & coil was crap. Wanted to get away from points and got a good deal on the combo set. As far as the carb goes, just want smooth acceleration with little or no flat spots. I have seen two different views, the 30pict-1 and a 30pict-3 (h30/31).
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Do some more digging, but I do not believe that any of the 30 series carbs provide enough of a vacuum signal to operate an SVDA. A. H30/31 nor 28 series wont for sure. Search for some of Glutamodo's posts on this topic.

You may want to check with Tim at Volkzbitz or TASB as well.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Your best performance gain would be to rebuild the parts that came with the car. Once you start cobbling parts together it will never be as smooth as the stock, matched components.

After all this is a 1300, not a 2110.

As stated before the 30 series carbs doesn't pull enough vacuum to operate the vacuum advance properly. There was a very good write up where someone ran experiments using a SVDA and a combo of 30, 34, and h30/31 carbs.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Your best performance gain would be to rebuild the parts that came with the car. Once you start cobbling parts together it will never be as smooth as the stock, matched components.

After all this is a 1300, not a 2110.

As stated before the 30 series carbs doesn't pull enough vacuum to operate the vacuum advance properly. There was a very good write up where someone ran experiments using a SVDA and a combo of 30, 34, and h30/31 carbs.

To clarify, the parts that would have originally come in the engine. No guarantee what’s on the car is in anyway original. SVDAs were originally made to run with 34pict-3 carbs. You could run one but probably overkill for a stock 1300. May be worth pulling a head and seeing if the engine was rebuilt with larger pistons and cylinders. Pretty easy swap.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Yes that's what I meant. Thanks for the clarification Sharp.

Read through this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Tons of good info.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

With the 28 carb we know it isn't stock, which was a 30.
So who knows what else is "non-standard"?
BUGPYRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great information. I know it is a 1300CC because I just replaced the rings, so I had to measure the pistons and cylinders. The carb is stamped Solex 28 PICT. I know the person that I got it from, so he has told me as much as he can remember what has been changed out or upgraded. I will keep sorting through the post and see what I come up with. Thanks again
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

28 PICTs were designed to go with a vacuum-only distributor. If you use an SVDA it will run much like you have an 009 centrifugal-only distributor. My ginormous thread discussing this was linked to above. I'd run a mid-60s distributor with 28PICTs.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

If you have not ordered the distributor yet, I would suggest switching to a decent 009. It will work pretty well and is a better choice than the SVDA. I ran one on my 1200 big bore with a 28 PICT1 and it worked OK. But it was not the best 009 out there and got one of Glenns 019 which really works well, but it aint cheap....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

I forgot to mention my often-stated comment that on single port engines with small intake valves, there results a nice brisk "port velocity" of the fuel entering the engine and this results in an engine that is much more forgiving of low RPM carb/distributor issues and (as long as the accelerator pump is working right) and they often run fine with a centrifugal distributor. Eons ago, when I switched from a German 009 to a properly matched fat-boy vac-only distributor on my big-bore 40HP, I did not notice any difference in how the engine ran. It ran good before, and it ran good after.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

The 1300cc engines probably had PICT-28's on them at least the early ones! There is nothing wrong with the PICT-28 on even a 1585cc single port. They have better signal and idle nicely and the torque is a little better.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

Actually, all of the 1300 engines had the 30PICT-1. The Beetle ones were 'hobbled" by the fact that VW/DVG discontinued the power fuel system, so they had to have a larger main jet to provide full power. But it was 30PICT-1.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And using charts like that and many others, I assembled a chart of carb and distributor data, which you can see here:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 1300 CC w/High-Power VW SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

The stock distributor for a 28 PICT 1 carburetor would be the following:

111 M or N
ZV/JU 4 R 3

These are SVA= single vacuum advance only. They are distinguished by the small saucer shaped vacuum canister. They will give you smoother performance and slightly better mileage than the mechanical only distributors.

small saucer on the left here

111 905 205 N

You could also run the cast iron big cap distributors with that carburetor but it wouldn't look right IMHO. Btw, there's no such thing as a "higher powered distributor"- that is advertising hype. "

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: