Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 bus wont start.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Yikes! Either way, you won't get them in time.

Here are alternative ways you can clean them yourself:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Where in VA do you live? There must be a fellow Sambanista nearby that can help.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

I just pulled the injectors and ran a can of cleaner into them with 12v. They open and spray. This leads me to believe I may be low on fuel pressure. Ill be putting that new FPR with the gauge on it sometime today. Hopefully I didn't just get a crap fuel pump.

And I live about 20mins away from harrisonburg VA. i havent had a chance to talk to anyone local that deals with VWs
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

you are almost done. With ignition on, and the distributor disconnected to avoid burning the points, open the afm flap with a wooden dowel or long screw driver. Do you hear a click from the double relay? If yes then check for 12V at the fuel pump. Also check for a ground and feel if the pump is running. There is also a possibility that the nipple at the gas tank is plugged with debris unless you cleaned the tank out. Avoid using 12V on the injectors or you may burn them up.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

If you have to, call up a tow truck or a buddy and have them move the bus to a nice safe secure location as you figure this out.

I send my injectors to Rich at www.cruzinperformace.com and they come back in about a week with new short hoses for about $100 or so. Send the cold start valve also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Okay. I am getting voltage to the pump and the pump is pumping fuel. Im not sure if its enough fuel or fuel pressure. Im going to test the pressure today. It is possible to have some debris in the tank. I have not cleaned it. And got it. No more 12v to the injectors.

Last edited by thearkofnoahofwest on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

I have a trailer to move the bus if I have to. I just really want to be able to tell the county to frigg off. And im borrowing a vehicle until I can get the bus running. It'll be ready to inspect once I get it running.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

thearkofnoahofwest wrote:
Okay. I am getting voltage to the pump and the pump is pumping fuel. Im not sure if its enough fuel or fuel pressure. Im going to test the pressure today. It is possible to have some debris in the tank. I have not cleaned it. And got it. No more 12v to the injectors.

Have you carefully checked the function of your double relay? It needs to click when you turn the key on, if you aren't seeing consistent power to the injectors this could be your problem.

One half of the double relay is your FI relay and the other is your fuel pump relay.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Mike he had flashing on a noid light. It tried to start on a tablespoon of fuel in the boot. The injectors were clogged so he ran some cleaner thru them when voltage was applied. The pump is running so it sounds like either there is no pressure (plugged rails, clogged nipple etc.) or bad FPR.

One could put a fresh gallon of gas in a lawn mower container and run a hose from it to the back of the pump and see if it starts. If it does then the tank outlet is suspect. If it doesn't one can pinch the back of the hose leaving the FPR to make sure the tank doesn't drain, also hook a hose up to the FPR and point it into another container then see if fuel flows when in the engine is on. That will eliminate the rails being plugged. If the bus starts then the FPR may be good - in fact the bus may even start if the FPR is poor. If it does then the solution to getting it moving off the property is to rig a temporary tank under it with a pickup and return, then move it gently like that.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Mike he had flashing on a noid light. It tried to start on a tablespoon of fuel in the boot. The injectors were clogged so he ran some cleaner thru them when voltage was applied.

Except for he added this to his 10:28 post Crying or Very sad :

Quote:
No more 12v to the injectors
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Mike he had flashing on a noid light. It tried to start on a tablespoon of fuel in the boot. The injectors were clogged so he ran some cleaner thru them when voltage was applied.

Except for he added this to his 10:28 post Crying or Very sad :

Quote:
No more 12v to the injectors

I see what you mean Mike. I suggested he not use direct 12V on the injectors anymore so I read that as, "I promise I won't jump the battery directly to the injectors anymore to clean them."
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Yes, I promise, No more 12v to the injectors directly via batteries. So I ran a line directly to the new pump out of a gas can. The pump is getting 12v. However, it is only slowly sucking fuel from the gas can. I feel like it was just a junk fuel pump I ordered.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

so if you pull the line off the back side of the FPR, and crimp it to keep the tank from leaking, then attach a known good hose does the volume go way up? The fuel pump should deliver 1/2 quart in 30 seconds

page 20
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

It does not. I barley had but a few drops on the end. I did the same before the fpr and it kind of pumped a bit more intermittently. I also did it before the cold stary valve and it pumped a lot constantly.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

The pump likely has a screen in its intake end. If you tank is full of crap then the crap may have clogged the screen.
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Its getting plenty of fluid in the lines before the cold start. Before the FPR it has less fuel and after the FPR there is little to no fuel. I think the fuel pump might be underpowered.
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

did you buy the good one for fuel injection?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Check that you have the wires on the correct terminals on the pump. These pumps don't suck all that well either, so maybe try raising your fuel container up to a level higher than the pump.
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Ill try lifting the gas can up. How does 2.5 psi sound? I have a feeling even for this old 65hp monster, that's not enough
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

not enough for sur
suppose to be around 25-35
I think you buy a pump for carburator 2-4 psi
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

look at this
https://www.rockauto.com/fr/moreinfo.php?pk=1400469&cc=1285949&jsn=467
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: