Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 bus wont start.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Here is the type of fuel pump that is needed. You should have 1/2 quart in 30 seconds from the pump and if the FPR line is pinched off the pressure will go way up like close to 75 - 100 PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-69469-Original-Equipment-Replacement/dp/B001LPNEN8

http://www.busdepot.com/gfp301
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

I bit the bullet and stopped by autozone and got a Delphi pump. It'll be in around 1 today. Ill slap that bad boy on and see if the bus finally starts. And hopefully don't find any other major issues.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

thearkofnoahofwest wrote:
I bit the bullet and stopped by autozone and got a Delphi pump. It'll be in around 1 today. Ill slap that bad boy on and see if the bus finally starts. And hopefully don't find any other major issues.

I did not know Delphi made an external pump for our buses. What is the part number?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Just bought one of these for my Vanagon, a bus pump isn't going to be much different.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LPNEN8?ref_=pe_52795...ative=9325
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Yeah, autozone carries that Bosch pump too. I got the Delphi because its for the "campmobiles". probably not any different, I just really dont want to take the chance. And the part number is CFE0023. Autozone price matched Rockauto at 109.99. And ill have it today.
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

IT WORKED! I got it running up and down the driveway. Forbthe being my first air cooled vwbus, is it supposed to be this slow? Like, so slow I could outrun it on foot. also, it won't stay running unless I keep the flap open on the intake with a Dow rod. Fuel pump worked though!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Could you post the part number for that fuel pump?

I am thinking that if that was a rotary pump for a carbed bus it might cause the lack of performance you are feeling.

Is this the fuel pump?

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-pump/delphi-fuel-pump/462499_644297_6210_40558_99033
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

they show it for all FI buses vanagons etc, BMW, Alfa, VW, Fiat.

I suspect there are other issues that still have to be dealt with. First thing I would do now is a smoke test to find all the vacuum leaks and why it won't stay running at idle. Looks like there isn't enough suction to hold the AFM flap open so I am guessing massive vacuum leak. Once those are resolved I'd do s cylinder balance test at idle to make sure all 4 are firing.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

What kind of plastic was the Dow rod? or was it silicone? Copolymer? Wink
Great work getting this far. Now the county has to walk real fast to catch the bus to tow it. but really, does this buy you time? It runs.
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

I found the vaccum leak. Tear all the way around the intake hose. Ill fix that and figure out the misfire. As for the dow rod it was just a wooden one I found laying around. And for the county, they can't say s#!t if it has a clean inspection sticker.

Here is my grinch bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And thank you all for the help.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

show me a picture of the intake hose - is it the S-Boot?
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

This is where the intake is broken. Safe to say there is no vaccum at all.

I can probably cut it about 1/2 way up and add a 90° coupling

I also have a feeling the points need some adjusting.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Yup, I'd say you fond the major source of the leak. Probably going to find more when this one is fixed.

If you want an S-boot that will last many more years, GeeBee makes one out of silicone with a nomex covering...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1321070

I bought one, and it's pretty indestructible. But it's a PITA to install. The silicone is slippery, so everything attached to it must be clamped on.

Alternately, there are several OG boots listed in The Samba classified. Much cheaper too.

But it's great to hear your grinch bus will be on the roads soon! Happy bussin'!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Nope. Get a good S boot and replace that loser. Check the classifieds here as there are usually some in there.

The new ones that GEEBEE makes are excellent.

While you are waiting for a good used one to show up find a decent dwell meter for about $25. I have a little Actron 7605 that does dwell,tach, and voltage. Handy if you have points.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

$25 shipped if you want it

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2100265
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

Yeah, ill get that from you soon. As for now im having an issue with cylinder 3 not firing. Its getting spark. It is most definatly getting spark. Strong spark. My arm agrees. Im not completely convinced that its getting fuel. Im going to pull the injector and make sure its cleaned and working one more time. Other than that im probably going to adjust the valves in the next few days.

Also, if I give it any throttle now, its just wants to shut off completely. Im wondering if Ive mixed up my fuel injector wires.

And for some reason, my brand spankin new fuel pump is making Terrible whining noise.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

The whining is also known as "cavitation" and is usually caused by tank rust building up in the fuel filter and limiting flow to the fuel pump. Keep in mind that the fuel also cools the pump.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

what Randy just said. Are you feeding it from the extra tank as suggested or did you go back to the probably dirty one that is in the car?

All 4 injectors fire at the same time. Fuel puddles until the valve opens. Use the noid light to check the connector. If it works then just see if the injector sprays into a jar. Don't do it long because of the fire danger. Also, if you haven't replaced the injector seals you need to. They get dry and leak lots of air. That can also be why #3 isn't firing and why it is gutless.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

thearkofnoahofwest wrote:
This is where the intake is broken. Safe to say there is no vaccum at all.

I can probably cut it about 1/2 way up and add a 90° coupling

I also have a feeling the points need some adjusting.

Yeah, all the vacuum leaked out of that one. Make sure it didn’t pool at he bottom of the engine.

I and leave the DOW rod in your will, too.

Get new parts seals hoses on this beast and it will run much better
thearkofnoahofwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus wont start. Reply with quote

I moved the line back to the bus tank. I ordered new injector seals and will install them tomorrow. I also hauled it to my new shop and put gas in it while hauling it. And fuel leaked out. Not while I was filling it, afterward. While hauling it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: