Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

headliner install help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

Although I cannot speak from experience, however, I have been doing a LOT of reading and watching the JBugs video on headliner installation. It seems to me that a brush on contact cement is probably the best solution from my research. I'm a few weeks away from putting in my first headliner, so am hot on your heels.

As for tools for tucking in the headliner, I plan on using a door panel tool kit. Had also been thinking of using my 3D printer to come up with a tool. A quick look on thingiverse, I found this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1748810

Could work, am sure there are other designs that could do the job as well. As for windows, yup... they've gotta come out!

CWAVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

The windows coming out is the easy part. You can take a razor blade and put it in between the rubber and the glass on the outside. It may take a time or two around the window but it will cut off the outside lip of the window gasket. Make sure you keep a hand pressing down the glass, as you don’t want it to fall out.
(It probably won’t but just in case)

Then get inside and push out, while someone grabs holds the window and then takes it out. Pull the rubber seal out and you are done. Easy!

To put it in, follow Chris Vallones video. I used weed walker wire from Home Depot, and dry lube made by PB blaster (also at Home Depot).

Get new window gaskets, and your going to need a friend again, put on the gasket, make sure that the spot where the gasket joins is on the bottom part of the window in the middle. That spot leaks and if you put it upwards, water could leak in and gather in the corners. Then rust may form. With it at the bottom, water can leak out if any managed to get in.

Putting in the windows should take about 30-60 minutes, I’ve done it twice now, it’s not too tough thanks to that video 😁

https://youtu.be/tGMd0CrEQig
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:

As for tools for tucking in the headliner, I plan on using a door panel tool kit.
CWAVE

This is my handy trim removal tool kit from the FLAPS. Others had mentioned that harbor freight has them too.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-composit-trim-removal-set-ac3040/10449374-P
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

My headliner experience, including windows, starts about halfway down on the page below, there may some stuff in it that helps you. Not one of my most fun things to do.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=220
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
My headliner experience, including windows, starts about halfway down on the page below, there may some stuff in it that helps you. Not one of my most fun things to do.

It would take me a week to do mine- because I would be forced to walk away from it every 10 minutes and calm down.
Probably why i haven't started mine yet even though I've had the new headliner for about 2 years now... Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Justagirlandher69beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

dude, yours looks like a total b! I noticed you have shoulder belts and mine are only laps. Is there headliner running down the whole door seal to the floorboard? Yours looks incredibly intricate.

TX-73 wrote:

Justagirlandher69beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

It would take me a week to do mine- because I would be forced to walk away from it every 10 minutes and calm down.
Probably why i haven't started mine yet even though I've had the new headliner for about 2 years now... Very Happy

That is why god created beer and cigarettes LOL
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

Justagirlandher69beetle wrote:
dude, yours looks like a total b! I noticed you have shoulder belts and mine are only laps. Is there headliner running down the whole door seal to the floorboard? Yours looks incredibly intricate.

Do you mean this door pillar piece?:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is the windlace piece that comes with the multi-piece (original style) headliner- not sure if it is included in the one-piece (easy install) kit if that's what you got but I thought it was.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Do you mean this door pillar piece?:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is the windlace piece that comes with the multi-piece (original style) headliner- not sure if it is included in the one-piece (easy install) kit if that's what you got but I thought it was.

yes the B pillar pieces are separate. Those are the first 2 pieces you install. Have plenty of those black clips handy, a hair dryer & LOTS of patience along with using SMALL cuts. ALSO, make sure you take pics of EVERYTHING before you start installing the padding and headliner, places like where belts are mounted, sun visors, rear view mirror, dome light, grab handles, etc.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:

As mentioned above that's just the stock installation and yes the pillar piece runs down to the floor. Mine was a multi piece type headliner so maybe that's why you thought it was complicated. I don't blame SB, several times I had to take a break but I found that if I did it in steps it was manageable.
Look up Humvee belts (install is also in the build posts) and you find that these shoulder belts fit virtually perfectly into a bug. Even the hardware that came with my set fit my car. There's a long post on Samba about the Humvee belts.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: headliner install help Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I did my first using spray adhesive....after I tore it back out, I went to basic Weldwood brush on contact cement. The J Bugs headliner video uses it and it was a night and day difference - set up quicker and held it in place without having to use a zillion clips. Also you don't have overspray to deal with.....

Just my preference now.

This is the product to use, sparingly. It is solvent based and has a stronger bond than any of the spray cans. It is the red and black can at Home Depot. Well, it was until they took it off the shelf, damn AQDM! It goes on with a disposible brush. Does not make a gooey mess like the cans do. Strongly agree to brushing with a superior adhesive.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: