Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

I've been wanting to do this for a long time on my short nose 93 weekender. I've seen some people rubber banding looser filtering fabric to keep out larger particles. I tried cutting some filters into the old style triangle with poor success.

I intended to buy some used cabin air housings online but was apprehensive as I thought that the long nose hood was somehow configured slightly different and that I would need the long nose engine air filter housing as well. Visiting my regular parts guy Peter in Auburn, WA, he had a VR6 with the cabin air filter housing there in tact for me to try. As it turns out, the later model cabin air filter was designed to work with the earlier model barrel style engine air filter housing.

First off, the cabin air filter housing back plate bolts onto the firewall with the same 3 bolts that holds the older style on. It is intentionally notched to account for the earlier engine air filter housing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only thing that stops this from being just a straight bolt on and go is the earlier model hood support that holds the hood open. When it scissors closed, inside leg of the support will contact the outer most edge causing the hood to not close. The housing has enough extra material at the edge to trim 1/4, allowing the support to clear and hood to close.

The completed work. Although the hood open and filter housing do match up, I did still need to add some weather stripping to underside of the hood opening to make a good seal, keeping the engine smells going in there.

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

Nice work. Will the long nose bellows fit? Ours was inexplicably installed on the driver side when we first got the van.

Does your intercooler function well in that location?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

Looks like I missed grabbing and trying that part of it. The old part attached via 3 screws. Does this snap in? The opening is otherwise the same as far as I can tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

Yep, it just snaps in place.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

I am contemplating doing this. Your '93 had no EGR / Secondary Air system but the '95 ACU engine vans did. I have a '95 ACU engine in my van.

Did you block off the port for the connection to the EGR system? I am assuming it is the smaller port in the middle of this photo:

For comparison, a '95 Eurovan with an EGR had this port on its airbox, connecting to the EGR system with the tube highlighted below:

The '93 airbox does not have this port. What I am really after is to know if I added a later model airbox, that a port exists for connecting to the EGR system.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:

Did you block off the port for the connection to the EGR system? I am assuming it is the smaller port in the middle of this photo:

Yes, that port will need to be blocked off. You can RTV in the cap from a 2L soda bottle...fits like it was made for it Laughing

I don't think electrickery works that way
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Short nose van with long nose cabin air filter install Reply with quote

Apples and oranges? My original post was about adding the cabin air filtering from a later model. I am still using the original drum engine air filter. Yes, you could just block the 2ndary air hole if you wanted to go with a later engine air box. Let us know how it attaches into place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: