Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

URGENT: troubleshooting Westfalia gas burners
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: URGENT: troubleshooting Westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

well, it's not life and death urgent, but our 1995 T4 Transporter/Eurovan just came out of the shop after a 2 week struggle to replace the bushings so we could have the alignment done and tomorrow we are scheduled to head out on our inaugural road trip (to Newfoundland)

BUT in testing the gas cooktop I retrofited from butane to propane, while one of the burners burns smoothly and cleanly, the other one is balky. It sputters, cuts out and doesn't burn clean.

(interesting, the gas flow when unlit even sounds different one burner to the next)

Any suggestions on what I might do to clean that burner up?

what does that little pin do at the back of the burner head?

Peter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: URGENT. troubleshooting westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

Quote:
well, it's not life and death urgent,

It is actually.

On your timeframe, buy a back up propane burner and use it on your trip.

You need to open up those burners and clean all that rust out of the inside to make them safe again.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: URGENT. troubleshooting westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

thanks.
on the top side, the burner side, that is not rust. that's grease. (which I am going to tackle now.)

and yes, reading up it seems malfunctioning burners is a common problem and they probably need to be disassembled and cleaned out.

I am not sure though how those Cramer burner caps remove? Fridction fit push down/pull off? I don't like to try too hard without knowing how something works, for fear of breaking it.

Peter
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: URGENT. troubleshooting westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
well, it's not life and death urgent,

It is actually.

On your timeframe, buy a back up propane burner and use it on your trip.

You need to open up those burners and clean all that rust out of the inside to make them safe again.

I second this. Take the Westy stove along on the trip with you. Maybe you'll have some tinker time on your trip.

Have a great trip. I'm envious. That's the last province I've yet to visit.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: URGENT: troubleshooting Westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

Maybe these will help?
http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/40606-how-remove-cramer-hob-burner.html
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/dometic-cramer-hob-jet-cleaning-tips.153620/
http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/topic/4109...mber-1114/
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: URGENT. troubleshooting westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

Quote:
Have a great trip. I'm envious. That's the last province I've yet to visit.

thanks
but I'm now just nervous.
a 1) VERY expenisve alignment (everything was seized and bushings had to be replaced) plus 2) a quite expenisve oil change (no one could remove the oil plug until an intrepid garage knocked it out with a pneumatic chisel.) plus 3) the syncro driveshaft removed (until we can find the hanger bearings....) I am left wondering what else could go wrong with this money pit
but I digress.
worst case, I'll have an extended holiday way out east.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: URGENT: troubleshooting Westfalia gas burners Reply with quote

You will be fine. Stop off at PEI and pick up,some of those excellent potatoes for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: