Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I just couldn't find anything. The rear right coil spring on my 03 weekender is broken. My transmission shop pointed it out. About an inch of it is missing. I am the second owner and the first owner drove the poop out of it and pretty much killed all the suspension components so I'm not surprised. I found a really good video on replacing the shocks and it shows that when you remove the shock the spring pretty much falls out. The van in that video does not have much retaining the upper or lower end of the coil spring. My van does. I spent suspect the video van is an earlier T4. On the top of the spring is a 2" cone and the bottom about 1.5" cone. I "think" I should be able to remove the upper cone or maybe the lower but it was not immediately obvious. Any help on this would be appreciated. Btw I went ahead and installed the new Bilstein HD shocks I had while I was there. It shouldn't be to hard to go back and get that coil once I figure out how to free it.

Last edited by Masta Shake on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

I haven't crawled around under mine yet, but from the diagrams it looks a lot like a Vanagon rear suspension. On those, you just remove the upper shock mount and lower the control arm enough for the spring to fall out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Thx. I found this diagram as well. In the diagram part number 2 is quite a bit larger than in this drawing. Maybe I just need a strong friend to step on the wheel and push it down to where I can extract the spring. Or maybe both wheels need to be unweighted to unload it completely?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

You might need to loosen up the sway bar mounts

y u rune klassik?
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinking. Thx.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Raise the rear so that both rear wheels are off the ground, remove the lower shock bolts on both sides so that you're not fighting the swaybar. If you decide to remove the swaybar, you'll need to remove it from the opposite side from the side that you're trying to remove the spring from

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Raise the rear so that both rear wheels are off the ground, remove the lower shock bolts on both sides so that you're not fighting the swaybar. If you decide to remove the swaybar, you'll need to remove it from the opposite side from the side that you're trying to remove the spring from

This.

Just remove the lower shock bolts. THATS IT!!

The suspension will drop far enough to let the spring fall right out.
firebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

I recently put a pair of H&R springs on my 99 EV .. have the rear end up high enough so that rear arms can be pushed down about 4 inches or so .. even with lower shock bolt removed you'll have to push down to clear the lower and upper spring retainers .. I used a 3 ' 2x4 ..
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

I do this nearly daily since I manufacture lift spacers for these. If both lower rear shock bolts are out. The springs will almost literally fall out. No pry bar required at all.
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks all. I was working one side at a time with my floor jack. I'll lift the entire van next time and use my jack stands to relieve the sway bar.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Masta Shake wrote:
Thanks all. I was working one side at a time with my floor jack. I'll lift the entire van next time and use my jack stands to relieve the sway bar.

No need to mess with the sway bar at all!! Leave it alone.

Only 2 bolts need to come out total. One from the bottom of each shock. (And the wheels to make access easier, but even those don't *need* to come off if you have a big enough jack)
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

What I meant by my last post was I'll lift both sides at once. This relieves the sway bar. And I left the wheels on when I did the shocks. You just need a long extension.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Speaking of lifting, are there any good central lift points front and rear for those of us lacking a four point lift?

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Center of the front subframe or the trailer hitch (if you have one).
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Center of the front subframe or the trailer hitch (if you have one).

.....and honestly the spare tire holder at the tire Wink (if no hitch)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

D'uh, I should've thought of the hitch; I use that to lift both my lowered Mercedes. It's good to know that the subframe is tough enough to support the weight. Thanks

y u rune klassik?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, well, on a 2003 EVC with rear sway bar the coil came out easily with both rear shocks removed. But getting the coil reinstalled with a 1.25" spacer puck is problematic.

The pic is how it is right now, the factory top seat for the coil is on the swingarm, the 1.25" lift puck is where it should be for a proper install, mounted above the factory top seat. Trouble is, there's no way I can figure the coil can be reinstalled with the lift puck without dropping the rear sway bar.

'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

After removing the two 13mm bolts holding the rear sway bar to the frame seems I'll have to use a breaker bar to get enough droop to reinstall the springs with the spacers.

I'm not comfortable with that, the ABS lines might get stretched, brake lines. I'm thinking a C-type spring compressor. I have a spring compressor like this - https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycl...63262.html but that doesn't work, tried it.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

I’ve installed a ton of these and never had to undo a sway bar.

Are both shocks unbolted?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove rear coil springs 2003 Weekender Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
I’ve installed a ton of these and never had to undo a sway bar.

Are both shocks unbolted?

Yes. Here's pics as is:

I can't get the coils reinstalled with the pucks on top. Without pucks, no problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: