Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backup Lights Wiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Hi there,

My beetle is a 1967 that is mostly untouched especially when it comes to the electrical. Im installing reverse lights and am noticing that there is NOT an inline fuse in the lead heading to the coil. If this car was 100% stock, there would be an inline fuse right? Im just a little surprised that the fuse isnt there. Everything looks stock. So just install a fuse before i set up the lights? Is that the general consensus here?

Ricky
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Yep - Just install an 8A fuse....and we ARE talking about a 50 year old car....Sometimes things get misplaced... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yep - Just install an 8A fuse....and we ARE talking about a 50 year old car....Sometimes things get misplaced... Laughing

x2. It's likely that when the PO removed the backup lights from your 67 they discarded the fuse holder.
Have a look at the pic below. You can see the fuse holder just above the right fresh air outlet from the fan housing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Just for clarification's sake, there should be an inline fuse in the wire from the coil to the reverse light switch, but not an inline fuse in the wire going to the coil from the fuse block/ignition switch. You are more than welcome to install a fuse going to the coil if you wish, being something that I feel the factory was remiss in not doing, but be aware that there was not one originally.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Just for additional information.. the 67 reverse lamp fuse is NOT indicated in the wiring schematic ... but it is originally right.. here..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Here is that exact location on my bug. Why would anyone remove the inline fuse? Seems like a pain in the ass to rewire...because i dont see a break on the wire that would indicate the fuse had been just snipped out. Infact i even tested the lights and they defiantly work. so someone snipped out the fuse and rewired it. Is that the conclusion we are all coming to? any idea why anyone would do that?

Ricky

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1756500
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

I am not questioning Volkswagnut's comment about the correct fuse location....Lord knows that I have yet to work on an unmolested car, BUT every car that I have worked on has had the fuse close to the coil and not on the passenger side of the shroud.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Something I've wondered is if the '67 backup lights weren't provided with an inline fuse until sometime after initial production started, possibly a mid-production change that was made due to problems popping up with the lights or wiring. Two things that support that theory would be the October '66 dated wiring diagram noted already that doesn't show a fuse, as well as the August '66 owner's manual that doesn't show or make mention of a fuse for the backup lights anywhere (the fuse and holder is specifically mentioned starting in the '68 owner's manual).
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

My brother's all-original '67 Euro 1500 from about 1974 had it in the upper right:

(yeah, I know the fuel filter was not original!)

Also, in about 1976, my '67 USA 1500 had it in the same position.

My late Type 3 cars had them on the left side near the coil, however.
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
Something I've wondered is if the '67 backup lights weren't provided with an inline fuse until sometime after initial production started, possibly a mid-production change that was made due to problems popping up with the lights or wiring. Two things that support that theory would be the October '66 dated wiring diagram noted already that doesn't show a fuse, as well as the August '66 owner's manual that doesn't show or make mention of a fuse for the backup lights anywhere (the fuse and holder is specifically mentioned starting in the '68 owner's manual).

That seems right to me because this bug I have is almost 100% original and i really doubt someone would have taken the fuse out and rewired the car. This wire looks 100% factory to me. and like i said before i dont see anywhere where the wire was spliced back together. so it must have been replace completely or never had an inline fuse in the first place.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Someone got the "changes" document handy?
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Ok so do I need a special fuse holder or can I just get any old one at a normal shucks auto or something?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Buggo wrote:
Ok so do I need a special fuse holder or can I just get any old one at a normal shucks auto or something?

Most modern inline fuse holders will use a spade-type fuse.

But apparently you can still buy AGC type inline holders and I believe a VW 8-amp fuse will fit into these , see https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=jJ-...UzFuTIaE4c
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

You could search the classifieds for an original if you wish, another option would be BugCity: https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=111937091A
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

I have a VW original retro fit kit to install reverse lamps on cars which were not fitted with them. The part number is 135 998 135.

The kit includes:
1) the entire wiring loom (including fuse holder)
2) gearbox switch
3) bulb holders to put in the rear lamp units

You might find this kit if you keep an eye out on Ebay.de or Ebay.co.uk
Buggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Ok got an inline fuse holder from JBugs: http://www.jbugs.com/product/111-848.html

What i got did not look like whats in the picture, infact, what i got was nicer then whats pictured. Anyways installed it and the lights work perfectly. Thanks for the help eveyone.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

To ad more information. . to show the fuse holder clip and reversing lamp fuse location for a 1967.
From here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e3.php

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
I have a VW original retro fit kit to install reverse lamps on cars which were not fitted with them. The part number is 135 998 135.

The kit includes:
1) the entire wiring loom (including fuse holder)
2) gearbox switch
3) bulb holders to put in the rear lamp units

You might find this kit if you keep an eye out on Ebay.de or Ebay.co.uk

Would you happen to have a picture of the fuse holder? I am installing some lights and would like a "period correct" one.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

The typical retrofit kit did not come with a fuse. Here are the instructions:

You can see that they used the end fuse in the existing fusebox.

There is another kit, which used a switch inline with the speedo cable (lower left, below); that type might have used a fuse, but I just see a connector that probably went to the existing fusebox, like the later kit.

If you want to wire it like the originals, use a fuseholder off the coil and the tranny switch. The photos further above show a type similar to the original. Original below:

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Following up on this - my 67 (mid-Oct) also only has a clean wire from the coil to the back-up lights, although my new Wolfsburg West wiring harness calls for a fuse. I would like to keep my car as stock as possible, so should I include it? Garwood suggests it should have been there from the beginning, so any ideas on why mine (and Buggo's) 67s may have not had inline fuses, when others seem to? It's not like mine was at the very start of 67 production.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: