Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backup Lights Wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

I would fuse the reversing lights because if you ever develop a short in the wiring after the coil or in the reversing light switch, you will fry the circuit 15 wire all the way back to the ignition switch. The power wire to the coil is not fused.

That will not be a fun wire to replace, not to mention the ignition switch too.

The car will start and run with no fuses at all.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

This sounds like it was a catastrophe waiting to happen - but my car survived for 50 years without it. Could something else have been protecting it (would the coil have had protection built in, somehow)?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
(would the coil have had protection built in, somehow)?

Nope
Allan Gledhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I have a 1967 vw bug and at some point of this cars life someone has cut off the wire and fuse for the back up lights . Does anyone happen to have this wire and fuse holder from a parts car. I want to get my back up lights to work again as I have bought new lights and brackets. Thanks
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

There are usually a number (in different states) being sold in the classifieds. Look for inline fuse.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
To ad more information. . to show the fuse holder clip and reversing lamp fuse location for a 1967.
From here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e3.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

does anyone know what gauge wire to use for this installation thanks
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

16 gauge is fine for standard wattage bulbs or LEDS
Halogen or high wattage.. ? 14 gauge wont hurt ..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
To ad more information. . to show the fuse holder clip and reversing lamp fuse location for a 1967.
From here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e3.php

does anyone know what gauge wire to use for this installation thanks
question on this diagram . I hooked up my car like this I even have the OG vw 67 fuse holder . when I go in reverse the fuse burns out. my reverse lights do turn on but then the fuse burns out. my question is on the wiring diagram it shows H terminal 15 do I need to run a wire to the front of the car to terminal 15 ignition ? not sure why my fuse is popping thanks
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

It's a simple system.
Your fuse blowing, is an indication of the short somewhere in your reverse light wiring.

Trace the wire from the coil to the fuse holder, then from the fuse holder to the trans switch. Look for breaks in the wiring insulation making contact with the body, or some sort of grounding metal.

Make sure to trace the wires from the switch to the lights too, looking for where the wire it may be grounded to a metal surface.

EDIT: The wiring diagram you posted is correct. There is no need to a power wire from another source. Other than the #15 post on the coil.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Lights Wiring Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:

question on this diagram . I hooked up my car like this I even have the OG vw 67 fuse holder . when I go in reverse the fuse burns out.

Since the fuse blows only when you shift into reverse it suggests the short is AFTER the reverse light switch.
Look at the wire connections at the switch. Are either wire touching the frame or trans case?
Look at the entire length of the wire from the switch back into the engine compartment. The two wires are normally wrapped in a sleeve. At "E" (in the engine compartment) the circuit splits to a L and R path. Look to this junction and make sure none of the wire terminals are exposed and touching metal.

A quick and simple test...
    Find the "E" junction in the engine compartment. It is usually hiding behind the tar paper near the fan intake in the fan shroud. Disconnect all the wires here so you can test each individually.
    Place the transmission in neutral so the reverse switch is OPEN.
    Using an ohm meter test each wire at the "E" junction for resistance to ground.
    The wire to the switch should show infinite resistance since it should not be connected to anything.
    Each of the wires running to the reverse lights should show some amount of resistance to ground. It will be much higher than 2.0ohms.

Any resistance reading less than 1.7ohms will cause an 8A fuse to blow. Both of the reverse light wires should be nearly the same resistance reading as each is about the same wire length and runs thru the same rated bulb. If the resistance down one path is much lower than the other it should be suspect.

If you find a low resistance wire, trace it and find out where it is shorting to ground.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: