Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear side window seal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

You guys ever have any issues putting window seals on? I installed 4 of the 5 windows with no problem...but I can't get the rear side drivers side window in? Bad seal maybe?
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

I had an awful time when I replaced the passenger rear side window/vent with the full one piece glass that is the same as the passenger side...I had to get a couple of industrial size suction cups, and pull with all my weight, then pull the rope a bit, etc., while my wife hammered at the seal with a big rubber mallet at the point where I was pulling the rope. We eventually got it in, but it took way too much work...This was using a Bus Depot seal...I am going to try the Wolfsburg West seal when I replace the passenger side seal.

Good luck,

Rod
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

Do you have the vent window frame installed? Or are you going for "one-piece" glass on the rear side?

I like to install the vent window assemblies first and then use the common cord method of flat glass installation. Someone folks on here do it the opposite, which I could never figure out. Hopefully they'll chime in too.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

I've seen bad seals, mis-numbered parts. How easy is it to put the seal on the window?
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

No vent wing...and it goes on like the rest of the seals...this is the second bus I have done and never had a problem. The seals i got where from bus depot both times. I don't see a problem anywhere, took me and one other to do the other 4..took 3 people and no luck doing the one I can't get.
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

I would like to mention that this window was broken when I got the bus....so I bought it off of a local mechanic that had several buses he was parting out. When I brought it home I laid it on top of the other side it it matched up fine?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

Maybe just a bad day for putting a seal in, slick it up with some Super lube or Dielctric grease, push the window in square and hold it in then start pulling the rope from the bottom center, pull to rear about half way up then to the front half way, finish the rear portion then the front across the top, you may need to spray silicone as you go to keep it slick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

Well it was a good day to put the other 4 windows in. The 5th one doesn't seem to even come close to going in. I have an email to bus depot to give me there thoughts on the seal.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

It might have had body work or damage- go to the easy side with a tape measure and check the dimensions- Then take the seal off the glass and fit it in the hole to see if there are any tight spots that can be altered by a glass shop.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

I did Measure both sides..dead nuts on. I'm going to try what the guy from bus depot said, soak in hot water for a bit first
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

You didn't fall for the old wives tale that par boiling will shrink the glass did you?
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

I haven't boiled anything.
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

Let sit out in the sun for 4 hours along with window seal, lubed up with water and soap and had 3 other friends help. Went right in.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side window seal Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing a rear side window using a Wolfsburg West seal, and it went in much easier than the Bus Depot seal I used previously, as mentioned above. Still had to use a rubber mallet to tap a bit on the top half of the seal in order to get it close enough to pull the cord, but much easier. Not sure if it a size difference, or just a different rubber formulation...

Hope this helps someone along the way.

Rod
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: