Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extended Steering Column
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spolenz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Extended Steering Column Reply with quote

I am 6'6" tall with a 37" inseam. I am moving my seat rear ward from the stock location in order to get the spacing I need between myself and the pedals. The help I need is how to extend the steering column?

The angle the column takes from the stock location would put it too high in the air once it is extended so I need either a joint mounted inside the cabin to tilt the steering wheel down thus decreasing the rise as the steering column projects further rear ward. OR I could cut the bulkhead and rotate the steering box to create a direct line for the steering column through the bulkhead with a mount and spacer in the usual mounting location on the dash.

My preference is to do the first option by running a piece of column from the steering box into the cabin and fab a mount to support this piece, splice in a U-joint which will allow me to set the angle I need for the next section which runs rearward and uses the standard mounting locations with the steering column arriving at my desired length and height.

Any guidance and input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: