Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short vs. Long Studs
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

I’d like to adjust the valves on our '61 11-window standard, but I don’t know what settings to use because I don't know whether we have short or long studs. The number on the replaced engine case is 032330 XR. Based on this thread (which includes photos of our engine):https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675814, I have assumed it’s a 1200/40 hp.

To determine stud length, the idiot’s guide says to reach around to the rear of the engine, up between the pushrods. I can’t see how to do that with the exhaust/heat boxes in the way:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181377 suggests that you can determine stud length via head part numbers, and that head #113.101.373 is a ‘"square boss" short stud head.’ Our heads look like they have a square boss, but they're both marked #113.101.272 D, with a “D” added on the end:

Can someone confirm they're short studs so I can get started with the .006 feeler gauge, or do I need to do more detective work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

.006" is fine.

You might want to fix tha exhaust pipe connection before trying to fire it off.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
.006" is fine.

Thanks, camping box.
campingbox wrote:
You might want to fix tha exhaust pipe connection before trying to fire it off.

My plan is to adjust the valves, run the engine until it's warm so I can test for compression, then pull the engine to replace the gas tank, do some rust repair in the engine area, and sort out the exhaust. Other than doing this in a well-ventilated place, are there risks I don't know about with the rusted out exhaust/acorn shooter?
-Scott
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

From the looks of it, someone’s been running it like that for a while
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
From the looks of it, someone’s been running it like that for a while

I believe this thing was sitting in a field, unused, for at something like 20 years before we started it at the end of December. I can't say what happened before then.

Scott
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
Other than doing this in a well-ventilated place, are there risks I don't know about with the rusted out exhaust/acorn shooter?
-Scott

You'll be fine running it like that for what you intend to do with it.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Short vs. Long Studs Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

You'll be fine running it like that for what you intend to do with it.

Sounds good - thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: