Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
is the group camping at Winter Island inthe Igloo again this year?

If so has anyone started a list for those who want to camp?

I see that the Igloo is open to being reserved on reserveamerica on Sat Oct 6th
https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/winter-isla...Id=1061400

I have the Igloo and Fort areas reserved, thur. Oct 4 - Sat. Oct 6. Details to follow. I have a list started, how many in your party? I have room. I reserve the group areas with the campground manager every year.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

good I was worried since I saw it's availability open on Reserve america.

at the moment I think we'll have 3 vans coming in from NY on Saturday night.

you can PM me if space gets too tight, we've camped at Harold Parker state forest campground in the past.. [email protected]

VWCCNY will bring you some door prize items as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Oops wrong thread
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI

Last edited by EasternNotch on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Stan - please count me in again this year. We'll probably want to camp in the area next to the igloo area again. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougfrommaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Hi Stan. We're trying to decide on whether we'll come to camp the night before, and whether we'll all attend, or just me and the boy wonder... and depending on who's coming, which sub-100-HP VW-powered rig we will bring. It all hinges on the answer to this question: Do you know whether dogs are permitted, both at the show, and at the campground? Thanks![/i]
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

We're in like always

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
dougfrommaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

dougfrommaine wrote:
Hi Stan. We're trying to decide on whether we'll come to camp the night before, and whether we'll all attend, or just me and the boy wonder... and depending on who's coming, which sub-100-HP VW-powered rig we will bring. It all hinges on the answer to this question: Do you know whether dogs are permitted, both at the show, and at the campground? Thanks!

I've answered my own question regarding pet policies, so figured I would share...

Winter Island Campground:
City of Salem leash law is strictly enforced. Pets are not allowed on Waikiki Beach or in the water from May 1st through September 30th. Pets must not be left unattended. All waste must be properly disposed of in barrels. Good pet behavior is required.

Larz Anderson Museum:
Yes, dogs are welcome at Lawn Events! Please note, the dog must be kept on a leash at all times and is not allowed in the Museum at any time unless they are a Guide Dog or a certified Companion Dog.
drozdenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Count us in for Thursday to Sunday camping.

Lee
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

and I'll try to not get caught up in the Boston BAA half marathon that sunday morning this time..
https://www.baa.org/races/baa-half-marathon

note to others... here's the course map
https://www.baa.org/node/518
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

This is my 15th straight year camping in Salem. I've gone every year since graduating high school, and as most know, was involved in bringing the Pre-Transporterfest Campout to Winter Island. Every year, Stan and I go to exhausting lengths to make sure everyone knows about the race and how they can avoid it. If you follow my directions - the same ones I've given out every year since we've started - you'll completely miss the race course.

We will be leaving Winter Island Marine Park and Campground at 8:00 am Sunday Morning. Our route intentionally avoids going directly south through Boston as there is a road race which closes several main thoroughfares and makes it impossible to get a procession of buses through. We will be following all traffic laws and will maintain a safe cruising speed. The trip should take about 66 minutes. icons represent stops to allow the caravan to collect after complicated or congested areas.

← Exit Winter Island Marine Park and Campground turn left onto Fort Avenue.
↗ In ˝ mile, Fort Avenue curves to the right, follow Fort Avenue and cross over Essex Street.
↖ Fort Avenue becomes Webb Street. Keep to the left lane of Webb Street.
← In ˝ mile, turn left at the end of Webb Street onto Bridge Street.
← After ˝ mile all of Bridge Street will turn left.
Note: This is a quick light – the caravan will stop to gather again ahead.
↑ Keep to the center lane on Bridge Street, the right lane is an exit lane and the left is a turn lane only.
→ In 1 mile turn right onto Boston Street.
↑ After ˝ mile Boston Street will become Main Street.
↑ Continue on Main Street.
↑ After ˝ mile Main Street will become Lowell Street
↑ Follow Lowell Street for 1 ˝ miles
↖ Bear left onto Forest Street
← At the end of Forest Street, turn left on to Summit Street.
→ Take the first right onto Centennial Drive
↗ Bear right to the entrance for MA-128 towards Boston/Gloucester
↑ Remain on MA-128, which will merge with I-95 for 29 miles.
↗ Take exit 20A to MA-9 East This Is Boylston Street (Sign Marked Brookline/Boston)
↑ Remain on Boylston Street for 5 miles.
→ Turn right onto Lee Street, in 1 mile Lee Street will become Clyde Street.
↑ Continue on Clyde Street for 0.5 mile to Newton Street.
← Turn left onto Newton Street
↗ The road will split, bear to the right.
The entrance to Larz Anderson Auto Museum is on the left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

CAMPING details:

Starting Thursday night, 10/4/18 thru Saturday 10/6/18 many of us will be camping at Winter Island Marine Park. 50 Winter Island Rd., Salem, MA 01970. On Sunday morning 10/7/18 there will be a caravan to the Transporterfest/VW day show in Brookline, MA.

Camping fees have changed this year. The park charges me by the person, so the fees will be as follows:
1 person in a camping unit (bus, trailer, tent, etc.) is $20/night, CASH only.

Each additional person is $5, but this covers all nights that you camp. So if you have 2 people camping for 2 nights, your total will be $45. If you have 3 people camping for 2 nights, your total will be $50. And so on... Kids under 6 are free.

Please pay me in CASH only for camping when you arrive at the park. I will be in the Igloo area with a red Squareback. When you enter the park gate just let them know you are with the VW bus group. DO NOT check in at the camp office, this will just confuse them. Here is a map of the campground:
http://www.salemweb.com/winterisland/?f=3.
The Igloo area is on the left as you drive into the park. Look for my "Volkscamping" sign at the entrance to the Igloo. We will be in the Igloo and Fort Pickering areas.

The campground has nice clean restrooms, showers and a dish washing sink outside the restrooms. We have no electricity or water at any of our sites. The Igloo area is the only place in the campground that a campfire is allowed.

The park is easy biking distance to downtown Salem for Halloween festivities or checking out the local cuisine. They also have tourist buses that pick up and drop off at the park on a regular schedule. They do charge for this on the bus.

The park is located on Salem harbor, with a nice beach and boat ramp. It has extensive history as military fort and WWII Seaplane base. Be sure to check out the old pictures they have on the walls in the camp office/store.

The camp store is not usually well stocked, but they do have essentials (marshmellows, propane, ice).

I look forward to another fun weekend and enjoying the camp out with everyone who can make it.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709

Last edited by Stanagon on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Camping location:
Winter Island Marine Park
50 Winter Island Rd.
Salem, MA 01970
office: 978-745-9430 (closed after 4pm)

We will be camping Thru. 10/4/18 thru Sun. 10/7/18.

Text Stan if you would like to join us, or if you are on the list but can't make it this year. You can also post on this thread or send me a pm to get on the camping list. We have space for about 50 units in 2 group locations (Igloo and Fort Pickering). You can choose your location when you arrive. Fort Pickering is our "quiet" area.

Camping list, in no particular order.

1) 'Stanagon', Stan Wohlfarth, MA, red '71 squareback, Thur-Sat.
2) 'obnoxiousblue', Mike Hoddinott, NY, New Beetle, Thur-Sat.
3) 'bubblehead', Chris Toby, NH, tent, Fri-Sat.
4) Tim Whynot, ME, white vanagon westy, Thur-Sat.
5) Tom Buese, ME, tan vanagon westy, Thur-Sat.
6) Stacey Griffeth, CT, white/blue tie-dye vanagon, Sat.
7) Chris Florentino, CT, GTI and tent, Sat.
8 ) Tony, Jen and Rigel Pelletier, CT, burgundy Vanagon and tent, Sat.
9) Tracy Tulloch and family, CT, '66 Bus, Sat.
10) Casey, Denise and the Mastersons, NJ, Apache pop-up camper trailer, Thur-Sat.
11) Gina, friend of Mike Jarish, CT, '76 Bug, Fri-Sat.
12) Michael Jarish, CT, '69 ivory Westy, Fri- Sat.
13) 'drozdenko', Lee and Brandon, CT, '77 green westy, Thur-Sat.
14) "edgood1", Ed Goodwin, MA, red syncro vanagon westy, Sat.
15) 'vanagonjr', John Reynolds, MA, metallic tan Vanagon Westy, Thur-Sat.
16) 'hansie', Karl and Linda Bower, PA, '72 orange Westy, Fri-Sat.
17) Steve and Nora Allen, MA, '72 westy, Fri-Sat.
18 ) Jesse Kozack, NY, '85 tan vanagon, Thur-Sat.
19) Jim and Barbara Phillips, MA, '82 yellow Westy, Thur-Sat.
20) Randy Kirk, 75 white Westy, Fri-Sat.
21) Juan and Beth, Jackson, NH, Fri-Sat.
22) Lucas Sheehan, Maynard, MA, 69 Fastback and tent, Sat.
23) Seth Stafford, Keene, NH, tent, Fri-Sat.
24) Dave Saucier, ME, 79 Westy, Sat.
25) 'foodeater, Glen Jufer, Newburgh, NY, '89 Vanagon, Sat.
26) Matt Cornell, ME, '60 white camper, Sat.
27) Bob Ottalia, MA, '74 orange Westy, Sat.
28 ) Dave Pellitier, MA, '78 Westy, Sat.
29) Kyle Cropsey, Lindenhurst, NY, '76 Westy, Fri-Sat
30) Mac Moore, Old Orchard Beach, ME, 84 van, Fri-Sat.
31) Sam Beck, Old Orchard Beach, ME, 84 van, Fri-Sat.
32) "Danfromsyr", Syracuse, NY, '81 ASI camper with 1.8T motor, Sat.
33) Charles and Jill Ray, NY, '75 Westy, Sat.
34) Scott and Pati Pearse, NY, '84 Vanagon with Subaru motor, Sat.
35) Ethan Spinelli, CT, 82 Westy, Sat.
36) Janis Biscordi, PA, '76 Westy, Fri-Sat.
37) Eric Rogers, RI, 85 Westy, Fri-Sat.
38 ) Art and Aimee Neary, NJ, '77 Westy, Sat.
39) David Beierl, RI, Vanagon white star, Fri-Sat,
40) Brad and Carter Robillard, MA, '86 red Westy, Sat.
41) Scottie Sheret, VT, '88 Westy, Fri-Sat,
42) Guy and Joan Kennedy, VT, Vanagon hitop camper, Fri-Sat.
43) John and Monica Labita, NY, '76 Westy, Fri-Sat.
44) Phelicia and Ed Harris (siblings), NY, '78 green bus, Fri-Sat.
45) Scott Cybulski, ME, '87 dove blue Westy, Fri-Sat.
46) Paul Bartoo, CT, '82 Westy, Sat.
47) Rich Makenski, RI, 86 Westy, Sat.
48 ) Felicia Harris, MA, '76 Westy, Sat.
49) Wes and Barbara Verkaart. MA, '85 Westy, Sat.
50) Christina and Robert Daley, NY, 84 Westy, Sat.

www.stanagon.com

Last edited by Stanagon on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 am; edited 30 times in total
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
good I was worried since I saw it's availability open on Reserve america.

at the moment I think we'll have 3 vans coming in from NY on Saturday night.

you can PM me if space gets too tight, we've camped at Harold Parker state forest campground in the past.. [email protected]

VWCCNY will bring you some door prize items as well.

I've got you in slots 32-34 for camping, see above list. Let me know the details of who is in your group, what they are driving and where they are from. I'm happy you can join us this year at Winter Island.

Thanks in advance for the door prize donation, we can always use more good raffle prizes.

www.stanagon.com

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

the patriots play on thursday that week so nobody has to leave early from the show!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
We will be leaving Winter Island Marine Park and Campground at 8:00 am Sunday Morning.

I've got a nice pair of FRS/GMRS walkie talkies if you'd like me to be rear guard again.
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Can’t wait for this!! My kids are always excited about this weekend! I’ll try to bring as much firewood as I can.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

dbeierl wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:
We will be leaving Winter Island Marine Park and Campground at 8:00 am Sunday Morning.

I've got a nice pair of FRS/GMRS walkie talkies if you'd like me to be rear guard again.

David, I have a FRS/GMRS, and also have my HT that I can run on 2m/440.
Upgraded to ham from CB. K2BUS! - Even though I no longer have a bus. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Quote:
David, I have a FRS/GMRS, and also have my HT that I can run on 2m/440.
Upgraded to ham from CB. K2BUS! - Even though I no longer have a bus.

As it happens I also recently got a General Class ticket, KC1JOK. However I don't have any gear and I also don't really know enough about current regulations to be safe crossing the street by myself. Sorry about the bus.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

dbeierl wrote:

As it happens I also recently got a General Class ticket, KC1JOK. However I don't have any gear and I also don't really know enough about current regulations to be safe crossing the street by myself. Sorry about the bus.
Baofung hand held. $30-40
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - Brookline and Salem, MA - 10/7/18 Reply with quote

Quote:
Baofung hand held. $30-40
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A

Wicked tempting...I just might. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: