Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

I'm really not a Type 1 person, but he did say oil light. Why are we looking at alternator stuff?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I believe that both pulley halves should have center holes shaped to match the hub, whereas your inner pulley half is of another design with a round center hole. Like I said above though, I am not a Type 1 guy.
The one in Steve’s picture has a round hole in the inner half looks like, so I would say it is correct.

Don't think Steve's picture is correct, Stray Catalyst's inner pulley is similar to the #1 setup on this page:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2154161

and his hub and outer pulley are this setup.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2135426

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

As I understand it, a type 4 engine can be driven without the alternator (without headlights or big electric drain). But a type 1 would overheat?
Not a type 1 guy here either.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
As I understand it, a type 4 engine can be driven without the alternator (without headlights or big electric drain). But a type 1 would overheat?
Not a type 1 guy here either.

Crank pulley drives alternator and cooling fan...ok I get it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I believe that both pulley halves should have center holes shaped to match the hub, whereas your inner pulley half is of another design with a round center hole. Like I said above though, I am not a Type 1 guy.
The one in Steve’s picture has a round hole in the inner half looks like, so I would say it is correct.

Don't think Steve's picture is correct, the inner pulley is similar to the #1 setup on this page:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2154161

and a hub and outer pulley are this setup.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2135426

#1 looks funny, not sure what that fits, #2 & #3 look like the real deal for a bug 1600, the hub is welded to the generator side with spot welds. Careful with new pulleys, most are 100% trash right out of the box, if they even manage to run semi true they will likely come loose or crack in a few miles, stay vigilant monitor it constantly while you search for a real VW one.

A real bus pulley looks like this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2038082 it's smaller and spins the fan faster (also uses a smaller belt), it's also stronger and able to withstand the RPM's.

If your lower pulley is as rough and rusty as that top one was you'll want to spend some time sanding the inner surfaces where the belt goes so they are shiny and smooth, rough from sitting eats up belts fast.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

without a picture of the engine and "alternator" it is hard to know what he has. He may be calling it an alternator but it may be a generator. Also need to see belt alignment on it. These buses have so many different combinations when parts are mixed and matched that who knows what he has.
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The replacement pulley has both holes square-ish, but doesn’t have the two slots/tabs as the previous one. It fits on the alternator shaft and is the same diameter, so I’m happy enough with it!
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

Once you get the belt on and the tension set, sight down the belt to check how the two pulleys align.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickering oil light, near Sandusky Ohio Reply with quote

And based on a lot of history reported here about the quality of replacement pulleys I would get an original replacement to have on hand when the repo detonates.

Or when you get the original one install it and keep the repop for a spare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: