Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

body work quality question! How bad is too bad?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

Hey. So I'm starting in on the rear drivers wheel well on my 62 bus. I'm curious how bad that seam can be before it's too bad. Mine has some heat warpage and isn't too pretty. There was a big dent on this corner originally and I think it's contributing.

My #1 thought is cutting some relief cuts in the sheet metal once I'm done to take in the buckling and then sealing them back up? Would that work? I'm 100% accepting the fact that there will be some filler in there too.

Wondering what people think about relief cuts to take in bumps mostly though.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

You might get a quicker answer posting in the body/paint forum.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

how long is a piece of string?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

Any time you cut and weld you have a good chance to warp more metal. Time to invest in a shrinking disc.

Link

SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

If you try relief cuts then you have to weld them back up. Once again you run the risk of getting it to hot. The shrinking disc works wonders once you learn how to use it. Best thing to do is take your time and really be carefull to not get it to hot when welding.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

I will look into the shrinking disk. Thanks. I might try a relief cut or 2. Just small ones to help set in a few bumps. If it does not work then I will keep experimenting.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

can you post a picture or two of the affected area?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

I will try and snap some pics next time I get to the garage. Life gets in the way!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

You need a high speed device to make the shrinking disc work, and they ain't cheap. If you are doing a lot of bodywork I would suggest a Harbor Freight stud welder, which is very useful tool, especially for pulling out dents, but also for shrinking. You use it to create a hot spot and then hit it with compressed air, easy to manage and works well. With a bus you will use plastic fillers unless you want To replace all the sheet metal. You just want to keep it as minimal as possible to avoid cracking.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: body work quality question! How bad is too bad? Reply with quote

Its hard to tell from your description what the actual problem is. Shrinking disc/shrinking hammers/torch will all help if you are trying to solve an oil-canning issue in the sheet metal, but they won't do much if your issue is at a deformed seam (where two panels are welded together). You may need to cut the seam, then shrink/shape, then reweld the seam. Pictures would be really helpful.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: