Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unique Manx build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Hi everyone! New to the forum, owned a few bugs and I'm currently starting a unique(I think) manx build. I have all the necessary tools to fabricate a manx and I'm fairly competent with my skills.

What I have:

-Fiber Reinforced Products Long travel manx body.

-1973 super beetle pan.

-front fixed race seats.

What I'm planning:

-31" all terrains

-full cage.

-EVWest hyper9 EV conversion (Electric) with bus transmission. I've spoken to the owner and worked through a number of details.

-3x3's in the rear.

Here's where it get's weird (if it hasn't already):

While considering what/how to build for front a arms, I stumbled across a few aftermarket long travel front A-arm kits for the Can-Am Mavericks. Since I will be slightly heavier (~2000lbs), I'm trying to figure out if it will be a viable option for front A-Arms. These kit's recommend a max tire size of 34", so I'll be nowhere near that. I also like the idea of converting to 4WD as salvaged/rebuilt parts trickle down.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm set on the EV kit, so you can spare the argument there lol.

Thanks!
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

What type of batteries will you be using? Where will they be placed?
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Plz elaborate about the body.
It sounds like it isn't actually a Manx....

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Heywebonya: In talking to Michael Bream, the owner of EVWest, he recommended the Tesla 18650 battery. Although, this will be the last thing I do, so maybe a more efficient battery in a few years. I'll end up with about 750 lbs of batteries for ~150 miles of range. But, I'm saving quite a bit of weight with no fuel tank and also a bit of weight from swapping to an electric motor. So there's a trade off. As far as battery placement, I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to keep them low. I've found a "body lift" kit that should give me enough room to create a fire resistant battery pack just above the pan. But I'm open to ideas. check the pics to see the body lift.

Hillmotorsports: It is not an original manx body. Maybe I should have said a manx style body. The body I have is like the one pictured

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Bump

I'm mostly curious about retrofitting an aftermarket can am A arm kit into my "fiberglass buggy".

Maybe I should post in the off road section of the forum?

Any input is much appreciated.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Going to watch this build because the concept of a EV build has been in my thought processes for some time... Specially based on a buggy...

Many years ago there was a picture of a buggy that was electric power that had batteries (automotive style) placed out board of chassis (pan) between front and rear wheels sort of where side/rock guards are in picture above, sadly the picture has been lost over time.... But was thinking of tesla batteries and placing them outboard to get better weight distribution...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Late this year or into '19, I think I am building a custom EV buggy. Custom chassis for a Alison Body.

I know very little about the E side of the EV, but the owner is a Energy Nerd, and dam good at it. So, I will build it to his spec for the batteries and parts he wants to use, and help him put it together.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Yeah, it's quite an intriguing idea. Surely the range won't be great with the lack or aerodynamics--however, a range of 100-150 miles/day would be more than I'd care to go in an open cockpit vehicle.

If you get a moment, check out the company EVwest.com or like their page on facebook

Michael Bream is very knowledgeable and his team has done countless VW EV conversions.

They are currently building a high tech version of my fiberglass body as we speak.

I really can't wait to start the powertrain on mine. This will end up being a SOLID drag car as well. The EV's he builds are known for their acceleration.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

travotravo wrote:
however, a range of 100-150 miles/day would be more than I'd care to go in an open cockpit vehicle.

LOL, now that is funny!

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Maybe I should have specified--100 miles offroading (what I'll primarily be using it for) is more than I care to go. Ever heard of monkey-butt? Lol that many miles being bounced around in race seats can get, well, exhausting.

Maybe there's a better, more informative or busier forum here I can post my questions on? Possibly the offroad forum? Any help is much appreciated.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the Can Am front A-Arm set up, but if it is more for off roading, the Off Road Forum would be the place to ask the questions about it.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

travotravo wrote:
Hi everyone! New to the forum, owned a few bugs and I'm currently starting a unique(I think) manx build. I have all the necessary tools to fabricate a manx and I'm fairly competent with my skills. I got a recommendation to post rhis here, rather than the "manx" section, so you may have seen this post already.

Thanks

This is the original topic that I moved from the Dune Buggy forum to here.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Imo the can am stuff sounds like a good idea untill you think about weight and where your going to be putting yours ( batteries and such). It might work out ok but they might not be strong enough for your heavyish buggy. They might be rated up to a 34in tire but how about axles and such? If you want 4wd your going to need some stout axles in an electric vehicle as you will have instant horsepower, it won't build up like on a gas motor unless your using some kind of electronic throttle management. Even then you could get a little heavy foot going on and break stuff lol.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Not seen an off-road specific one but I know of two Manx and three beetles with electric conversion here in St Louis. There is actually a company but I forget the name that makes conversion kits for several vehicular types including Beatles. Using actual lithium-polymer batteries and a Tesla motor modified to mount to a T1 motor. Talking with one of the guys who own the oval window he gets about 100 Miles of road driving so off-road with taller tires requiring more torque might be significantly less.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Found my notes it was EV4Now, he put the 90 mile capable kit it’s $23,000

http://www.ev4unow.com/BugKitParts.html

Mentioned anther called EV West.

Word of caution on ev batteries. If using lithium packs remember not to discharge below 80% and if the outer cover becomes scratched or damaged they need replaced. Both can result in fire, and the can burn in excess of 4000 degrees and the fire department (according to our local fire department) will need to be informed the vehicle is electric because they have to use special chemicals not water or traditional foam.

If splurging for the ev conversion, why not do it right and use an actual Baja a-arm conversion. http://www.sandparts.com/A-Arm-Conversion-Kit-Long...72771.html
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Hey guys! Thanks for the info! I will definitely look into that a arm kit.

I was on the fence with that can am kit--just kind of a wild hair thought. I'd need to run a driveshaft to the front, too. Which is probably more trouble than it's worth. The sole reason I was considering it is ease of parts replacement. But it looks like I could do a Chevy brake and lug pattern, also.

Evwest said a 31" to 32" tire setup usually runs about 400wH/mile, so the batteries will be the tricky part. What I'm not sure is if I'll end up being slightly lighter than his typical steel Baja build. I know I'm looking at ~700lbs of batteries, but losing 200-250lbs of i.c.e. essentials. So I'll be ~500lbs up from an i.c.e. build.

The car will be registered and stickered as an EV with all proper heat shields and safety components for fire officials. Not to mention, I will be using unmodified Tessa packs.

Going back to the 500lb surplus--it will likely be low in the car. So a very low center of gravity. This combined with the hyper9 motor output of 120hp and 173torque (about 2180cc specs, right??) It should still end up being pretty quick.

Anybody know the pros and cons of doing 3x5's over 3x3's?
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

This article might be helpful in the AWD aspect of the build.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=145965

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131506
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the Super Beetle pan is not the same in the front as the regular beam axle VW pan. An a-arm kit made to fit a beam pan will not fit on a Super Beetle pan. Aside from any 4x4 considerations.

I have long thought that electric cars made good sense. But at this point, I do not believe that the batteries are recyclable in the US because of environmental concerns. There was only recently a recycling plant opened for hybrid vehicle batteries. That's in China, again because of environmental concerns. The Chinese government doesn't give a DAMNED about pollution. Plus since electricity to charge those batteries for full electric vehicles still is generated by plants that make lots of pollution, and the "green" Solar farms are being built by bulldozing huge tracts of southwestern desert where offroaders have been banned for 40 years because of environmental concerns. So I don't consider electric vehicles to be truly "green" at this time, regardless of the propaganda put out by those who stand to profit from them. My power supply company sends me letters in the summer reminding me to conserve electricity by doing things like shutting off my air conditioning (I live in the desert) to avoid power grid overload and the blackouts that result from that. Then on the next page push me to by an electric car that would use more electrical power than the rest of my household uses. Maybe electric cars will be practical later.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

I have long thought that electric cars made good sense. But at this point, I do not believe that the batteries are recyclable in the US because of environmental concerns. There was only recently a recycling plant opened for hybrid vehicle batteries. That's in China, again because of environmental concerns. The Chinese government doesn't give a DAMNED about pollution. Plus since electricity to charge those batteries for full electric vehicles still is generated by plants that make lots of pollution, and the "green" Solar farms are being built by bulldozing huge tracts of southwestern desert where offroaders have been banned for 40 years because of environmental concerns. So I don't consider electric vehicles to be truly "green" at this time, regardless of the propaganda put out by those who stand to profit from them. My power supply company sends me letters in the summer reminding me to conserve electricity by doing things like shutting off my air conditioning (I live in the desert) to avoid power grid overload and the blackouts that result from that. Then on the next page push me to by an electric car that would use more electrical power than the rest of my household uses. Maybe electric cars will be practical later.

Dusty,

Its actually nice to see others have reasoned through the thought. If you take the total environmental impact of manufacturing and end of life you can drive a 2000 or newer gas vehicle for approximately 25 years before it surpasses the electric car. 15 if said electric car is charged on a solar or wind powered grid. The solar farms are in a pickle now, some environmental groups are in a tissy because they found out they are cooking birds that fly through.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

Dusty,

Its actually nice to see others have reasoned through the thought. If you take the total environmental impact of manufacturing and end of life you can drive a 2000 or newer gas vehicle for approximately 25 years before it surpasses the electric car. 15 if said electric car is charged on a solar or wind powered grid. The solar farms are in a pickle now, some environmental groups are in a tissy because they found out they are cooking birds that fly through.

Having worked my professional life in the Environmental Field, there is a lot more harm with Solar than what meets the eye. The life expectancy is lower than what is published, wich like batteries, leads to more super toxic waste produced when they expire. The toxins produced from the making of solar cells has greater pollution impact than the production of an internal combustion engine, and satellites have shown an increase in temperature around the panels.

A BTU of energy, is a BTU. There are trade offs in producing a BTU of energy, but Matter cannot be created or destroyed, just it's shape can change.

Over the last 100 years, man has made gigantic strides in producing the BTU much more efficiently, and the use of the BTU much more efficient. Unless we change the living standards of the entire world with regards to energy, we will still consume the BTUs and create pollution. But we can push to be more efficient with how we make and use it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: