Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Por 15 for my floor
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

My 68 911 has pretty good floors. Im doing an interior freshen up. New carpets sound deadning etc. While I'm at I'm going to por 15 the floors with mesh.
Question
.is this the same product as the tank sealer
Can I use fiberglass mesh
How much por 15 will I need to do the whole pan properly.
Thanks Lyndon
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

POR15 is expensive and only useful if the floor is already rusty. You don't need mesh. You can also buy other less expensive rust paints. A litre might be enough. I would check the mfg's website and instructions for info on coverage. I would bet money the tank sealer is a totally different product.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

Thanks. I rang kbs here in Australia and I'm going to use their product. Its a knock off of the por 15 I believe. They do a tank sealer as well. I will lay down some glass mesh as well. It can't hurt.
Thanks Lyndon
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

POR-15 works best on rough, pitted, or sandblasted surfaces - where it can really get a 'grip' on the surface. If the surface is too smooth and shiny, it may not adhere well and can peel off when fully dry.
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. When I get the interior out I will keep that in mind.
Lyndon
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

Por 15 for the floor is not the same as the gas tank stuff. The tank POR is very thick, the gloss black is thin and really flows.
I would not put the glass in if you are not filling holes.
The POR is very strong and wears well for the floor.
The satin black POR is thicker than the gloss and it not as easy to use.
Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

If you are going to use glass, coat the floor starting at one end and laying the glass in the wet Por 15 as you work toward the other end (helper using gloves to pat the glass in). When dry thin the next coat for max penetration. Finally follow with a unthinned coat. I would use the metal prep recommended by product you use before starting.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Por 15 for my floor Reply with quote

POR 15 is a great product to paint over rust, but if the pan is clean and you paint the product, it actually may not stick!!!!
We use it regularly in our shop to coat the rust colored parts when doing work in that particular area like inside the center tunnel or when installing new metal parts mated to good but rust colored original panels One pint covers a lot of area, but the paint must be top coated after application

Gum wrote:
My 68 911 has pretty good floors. Im doing an interior freshen up. New carpets sound deadning etc. While I'm at I'm going to por 15 the floors with mesh.
Question
.is this the same product as the tank sealer
Can I use fiberglass mesh
How much por 15 will I need to do the whole pan properly.
Thanks Lyndon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: