Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

That clock is sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Okay just got around to shooting the other bug
What year is it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

According to the date code on the back of the speedometer, 1965. It'd be easier to just look at the VIN to determine the year.
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
According to the date code on the back of the speedometer, 1965. It'd be easier to just look at the VIN to determine the year.

Isn’t the vin on a plate on the tunnel back over the rear torsion tubes?
I think the plate is gone? Or is my memory failing me snd the vin is somewhere else?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

The VIN will be stamped directly into the tunnel just in front of the inspection plate under the rear seat, as well as on a small rectangular aluminum plate riveted in the spare wheel well up front.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

The tunnel VIN under the rear seat will look like this:

The VIN in the spare wheel well will look like one of the two following pics, depending on whether it's up to 1960 or after 1960:

labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

This is off the 58/58

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Yep, that looks like the style VIN plate to be expected on an early square window bug. Now read the VIN off the plate, it's the upper right hand number, and compare that to the VIN data located on this site in the technical tab to determine when it was made. Keep in mind the number listed on the table is the last chassis number made each month. Based purely off the body number however, I'd guess that car was made right around January of 1958.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

That second one has an uncut dash WITH OG radio delete plate. Cool.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Yep, that looks like the style VIN plate to be expected on an early square window bug. Now read the VIN off the plate, it's the upper right hand number, and compare that to the VIN data located on this site in the technical tab to determine when it was made. Keep in mind the number listed on the table is the last chassis number made each month. Based purely off the body number however, I'd guess that car was made right around January of 1958.

And extra cool is it looks like Diamond Green. But according to Technical, not available. Perhaps it's Light Bronze? Doubt Diamond Gray. Think
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

The '58 looks like Light Bronze to me. As for what I'm assuming is a '65, it looks to be Java Green.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
mukluk wrote:

And extra cool is it looks like Diamond Green. But according to Technical, not available. Perhaps it's Light Bronze? Doubt Diamond Gray. Think

Definitely L245 light bronze. One of the best colors offered on 58 cars.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

I want to thank you all for the information and moral support in this adventure

got some seats in the deal

What year are they? Will they fit the 58? I’d try but I don’t remember my last tetanus shot maybe I’ll have to put in new mounts

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Nice save!
Just a quick suggestion- it might help if you would take photos farther away from the subject matter. All these closeups don't give us the whole picture (literally). Unless of course you are focusing in on a VIN number, etc.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

labmission wrote:
I want to thank you all for the information and moral support in this adventure

got some seats in the deal

What year are they? Will they fit the 58? I’d try but I don’t remember my last tetanus shot maybe I’ll have to put in new mounts

Looks like '66 seat to me.
Maybe the green car is an early '66 (square thumb button door handle).
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

I did a forum search and couldn’t find any change through the years or what seat fits what I learned a lot about seat belts though....
Will the pictured seats fit the 58?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

yes they should fit if nothing was modified
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

Ok I’ve been searching wheels too...
I had some inside the 65/66 snd there where a few on the bugs
I found out this is one on the rear of the 58 is a 66/67

The best of the rest one slot and two smoothies

I have these 14 inch bus rims I’d heard that older bugs have wide turning radiuses... So will these have less interference, if I put them on the front with two smoothies on the back, than a later bug?

labmission
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Upper right field

Under the rear seat

Now where’s that chart?

I got, for the bronze bug

Feb 58

And for the green bug

Dec 64
Or
May 65

Depending on that forth number 3 or 8?????
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Drama! Saved from the crusher! Only minutes to spare! Reply with quote

labmission wrote:
And for the green bug

Dec 64
Or
May 65

Depending on that forth number 3 or 8?????

Looks like an 8 to me. It's kinda splitting hairs anyway, because either way makes it a '65.

Congrats on the find and the save, what are your plans for them?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: