Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

I just got back from Ethiopia. There I saw an unusual tailgate I had not seen before. It's probably a Brazilian bus but I still thought it was unusual enough to share. It was a split single cab. The emblem is pressed in the gate. An excited local jumped in the picture when he saw what I was doing. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

From the location, I'd guess it's a Fleetline...

https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=9014

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

i like those tail covers~
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

Stock driver’s side snorkel and wide bed. That’s pretty cool.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

It does have similarity to a Fleetlline. It had a pressed VW logo in the nose. However, it wasn't a wide bed and it was LHD. Here's a picture of the front.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
It does have similarity to a Fleetlline. It had a pressed VW logo in the nose. However, it wasn't a wide bed and it was LHD. Here's a picture of the front.

I think those gates have been hacked down.

From comparing to fleetline gate images, they look like widebed S.A Fleetline or Brasilian gates but he front picture shows only two pressings along the side gates, not three, and the ends of the rear gate are mangled on both sides.

LHD suggests Brasilian?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

Looks like 3 pressings on the inside of the Drivers side Gate ??
It looks like a well worked truck !! Any idea what the logos are about ?
I gotta ask, what were you doing in Ethiopia ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

I think the passenger's side gate is so bowed, you can't see the third pressing from the front picture. Not sure though. They could be hacked down too though. ANYTHING is possible there. Smile

It was DEFINITELY a used truck! Smile The "3" in a circle on the license plate indicates the vehicle is owned by a business. We were there 3 weeks and I saw it all around town. Most of the time it had produce in it. My guess is that it was either a delivery truck or owned by a farmer. Unfortunately I can't read Amharic so I can't tell you what the logos say.

Crukab, we were there finishing the adoption of our son.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

Here you go:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545018&highlight=brazilian+single+cab
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

Those in the link have an extra horizontal bead along the top that the Ethiopian didn't have. However, that could easily have been filled at some point. Probably exactly what it was. Thanks!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Emblem in Truck Tailgate Reply with quote

Just as a follow up to this - I bought a set of gates late last year that look just like the ones above.

They were cheap enough that I reckon I can make a small profit selling the latches and keep the rear gate as a wall hanger.

I'll measure the pressings on the side panels to see if they're the same as German single cab gates and if so cut the side gates to sell as repair sections.

The frames are different to German gates and the hinges are also different.

Before I hack them up I thought I'd put some pictures up for posterity. The rear gate definitely looks like it started life as a wide gate like the South African Fleetline SCs. That gate has been cut and welded at the edges, apparently to narrow it, just like the one above. I can't tell whether that's cheap crappy work from the factory, or whether someone did it later though.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: