Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I gutted out my bug this weekend and took the sound deadening insulation off the floor boards and there are these thick tar glue like mats that they were stuck to. They are all over the chassis. My uncle told me that they are the original factory that came with the car, can anyone verify this?

They are about 1/16 thick and some parts still glued other parts rock hard and break off. What would be the best way to take this stuff off? I thought a scrapper would do but it's just gonna leave a mess and I don't think it would even take all of it off.

In advance thanks for the suggestions.

Mas

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Yes, that is the factory installed insulation. Unless there's a good reason to remove it such as rust that requires attention, I'd say just leave the insulation in place.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Well.. I guess my qualm is then what do I do when I remove the body off the chassis and repaint/seal the chassis with POR-15? The whole area in the front is half paint half primer you can see some of the primer on the first photo where the battery sits..
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

You could refinish the areas that need it and leave those that don't alone... or redo the whole thing. It's your car, do with it as you wish.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Save it, you'll never be able to reproduce it. Work around the tar board, get creative Man. you can do it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Based on the pictures in your gallery this isn’t a restoration. I’m going to be the voice of descent and encourage you to tear that crap out, clean it up, and por15 it to death. I hesitated on my 64 as it was a dry Texas origin car. When I did begin to scrape up the tarboards I found the beginnings of rust lurking underneath. Zero regrets in doing so as I saved my pans. VW engineered an outstanding car, but these tarboards weren’t the best idea IMO. They can fail after this amount of time and allow moisture underneath which is then trapped and festers. It’s a crappy job, but a 3in1 painters tool and a lot of elbow grease will get you there.

Exception being I wouldn’t mess with the ones on the tunnel. Doubtful there is moisture under them.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Get a little bottle torch and a putty knife, heat from the bottom and it chips off p easy. Use a wire wheel to knock off all the little pieces.

I’m willing to bet there is rust forming in the low points of the stampings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Agree- if there is any moisture under that tar - it will rust.... not so much much on the tunnel but I had it on may pans - ended up using dry ice and chipped it off- but heating works as well...
!984 911 Targa
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

thanks for all the suggestions, this car was built and has been in Texas it's whole life, but I know for a fact we pulled out the passenger side pistons and they have a bunch of crude on the inside rings and a little build up. We can save them due to cleaning and I have a honing tool because it's not much. But I have a strong inner knowing that the whole passenger side of this car will have more build up and weather damage due to how this was stored outside on my uncles land.

I saw a video where someone used a air chisel and that seemed to work wonders. Dry ice and heat was a bit more of a head ache?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Believe it or not, EMPI sells a really nice, thick floorboard insulation. You will have to trim it so it fits better though.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Try this link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341322

Saw a topic with someone using the dry ice and it looked like it worked well
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’m going to be the voice of descent...

You sure you're down with that? Wink

I'm not really seeing where you're voicing dissent, you basically echoed pulling up the insulation where rust is and leaving the insulation where it doesn't need to come off.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
I’m going to be the voice of descent...

You sure you're down with that? Wink

I'm not really seeing where you're voicing dissent, you basically echoed pulling up the insulation where rust is and leaving the insulation where it doesn't need to come off.

I'll head down the rabbit hole. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if you have a problem until you remove it. My pans, looked fanfreakintabulous with the OG tar boards. For some reason though I had a hunch and started pulling one up and found rust had started. It was still very slight and came off with a wire wheel, but it was in fact starting.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

I had a Benz coupe that died a rusty death from the floors rotting out. Underside had factory undercoat, inside factory sound deadner. The undercoating got damaged, water got in, and the floor oxidized unknowingly until the passenger seat sank through when someone got in the car.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

I'm probably going to tear the floor out and leave the tar boards where the e-brake and stick shift are. Do yall know of any good replacements? I've read of all types of people using different materials, from yoga mats, to thin sound foam.

thanks
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Look up sound deadener. There are lots of options. I used second skin damplifier.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

thanks and what is your overall consensus of second skin damplifier? Did you get what you paid for or is it worth it going with dynamat, hushmat, etc.
Did you go with the pro or just regular?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Factory Tar/Glue Mats on chassis? Reply with quote

Meh. It’s ok. I’m not an audiophile or anything. Just wanted something to dampen rattling and interior noise a bit. Probably better/cheaper products out there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: