Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Driving the bus today, experienced several quick complete losses of power... sort of a bucking sensation. Ran fine for another few miles. Did it again complete with some huge backfires. Ran fine again for another few miles the. Shut off completely when idling thru a parking lot. Fired right back up and idled fine. Coil going bad, potentially?
1963 Turkis Single Cab, 1600cc
1964 Turkis Standard Walk-Thru, 1641cc
1978 Westfalia 2.0L EFI Automatic

Turkis Mafia
Turkis Mafia Facebook Group

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

or dropping a valve seat

or the points rubbing block failed

or the fuel pump puked

or a vacuum leak opened and closed

or an injector farted

or the ignition switch is going bad

or ... .
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

My vote is either the points or the TS2...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trailrunnerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Points probably? Or do you have an electronic ignition kit that's maybe failing?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

I would add a bad rotor and/or cap to SGKents list, could also be a pin has pushed out of one of the plugs in the FI system, they often cause intermittent running issues. Don't think it would be the TSII sensor as a bad sensor typically would not allow for a hot restart, worth check the resistance though.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Just saw this a couple months ago. It was a bad condenser
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Update. Got back from the funeral we were attending to limp the bus to the shop... will no longer stay running. Turns over and coughs for a second or two but won’t run. Was idling perfectly when I shut it off.

Turkis Mafia

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Can you post a video?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

I bet if it cools down good it will start and run good. Then when it gets warm it will act up. Try the easy and cheap things first. In my case I quickly swapped in a new distributor and the problem went away. Installed a new condenser I had in stock and my customer was a happy camper.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Check the point gap. Had a similar issue a few years ago, it was the points. The screw had loosened.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Sound like condenser to me too. Those cheap Chinese condensers melt and leave you stranded. Swap out the condenser and see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

I had similar issue a few months back. After a lot of troubleshooting, it turned out to be the condenser. Replaced it and have been running strong ever since.

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

trailrunnerbus wrote:
Points probably? Or do you have an electronic ignition kit that's maybe failing?

My question too. I had a similar missing or bucking issue in my 914 (1911cc TIV). I made it home and had my tools. So here is what was suggested.

Take your timing light (inductive kind that clamps around the wires), put it on a plug wire. Start the engine. Point the light anywhere and wait for the light to go out when the engine misses. Do all 4 wires. If it goes out on each wire, your electronic module is going bad. I have a video I will try to find and edit here.

found it:

Link

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
My vote is either the points or the TS2...

Easy way to test TS II is to ground it out. Disconnect the lead to the TS II and attach a small jumper lead to the wire, then to the bus body/frame ground. See if there is a remarkable difference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Arrow You might have a problem with the Deceleration Valve.

If it were dropping a valve seat, the problem would be far more consistent than what you described. It would probably not be as intermittent and as harsh as you describe... you would definitely feel a loss of power but it would not just come and go as starkly as you describe.

A bad ignition switch or faulty primary circuit would kill or let run the engine, and unlikely cause the symptoms you describe... UNLESS it was loose or bad connection that was erratic.

Vacuum leaks generally cause a large increase in engine idle and rarely just suddenly go away. A vacuum leak might cause a backfire if it suddenly stops leaking, then leaks again, but it doesn't meet up with the other symptoms you describe, like your normal idle.

Injectors don't fart. They either work or they don't. When they don't you will see a consistent loss of power. Carefully check the connector on the resistor pack... a broken wire right at the base of the pack is not rare and is something I experienced on my 1977.

A failed rubbing block on the points would probably, but not guaranteed to be, a little more consistent than what you describe. But I also had the brass pickup tab break off a brand new Bosch rotor. That caused me a lot of irritation.

Arrow Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator for correct operation.

Arrow Check your Deceleration Valve

Arrow Check your Fuel Pump for flow and pressure... check the fuel filter and fuel tank for rust and sludge.

Idea Browse through these Free selections of great information: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/fuelinjection.php

Ratwell has some really practical advice: https://www.ratwell.com/

Exclamation Of particular interest:
https://ratwell.com/technical/LimpingHome.html
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Easy stuff first, check out the points. Make sure a vacuum hose didn't pop off or fall off.
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

Hey Steven,

So we worked on it in the shop today and basically threw a bunch of parts at it. New coil, new points, new condenser. Also replaced the large FI intake hose which had a slight crack under the hose clamp. It fired with some convincing, then idled and behaved itself on a limited test drive today. It was hot and under heavy load, after about 30 minutes of driving when this occurred, so I’ll be looking to recreated those conditions tomorrow and really see if we solved it.

It has just been painted and the shop who did it left the ignition key on several times for days on end (ugh). My belief is they killed the coil, which was an original. I’ll update with results.

Turkis Mafia

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus left me stranded. Help diagnosing? Reply with quote

more likely killed the ignition switch so carry a spare. Once damaged, when it gets hot the contacts move farther apart and the car dies. The coil could be bad but the voltage spikes typically don't go away with it cooling off, so once winding insulation is compromised it is always compromised. The starting contracts in the switch are different so if it starts but dies as soon as you let go of the switch and it moves to the regular contacts, that would point to an ignition switch - so watch for that symptom.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: