Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has forged caliper brackets these days?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Since a lot of this information has become outdated I wanted to see what was the go to for standard beetle (Balljoint) disc brake conversions these days, mainly which ones come with forged mounting brackets. not seeing it mentioned it any of the descriptions except on mamotorworks.com.

Want to have this done at the same time i swap to VW thing trailing arms and spindles and fix a leaky master cylinder... Still debating about the rear.

I see Topline is highly recommended, but seems to be only for Supers....

Thanks,
Nick
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

A standard disc brake setup for a bj beam now a days is a stock Ghia spindle, or aftermarket dropped spindle for a caliper. Neither of which you could use if you're installing Thing spindles. About the best you could do would be to get a set of Empi's cast brackets for drum Beetle spindles, 22-2975-7, to see if they would fit, then copy them with some plate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Confused I had heard that the thing spindles would accept any bolt on standard beetle/ghia kit, not so? Trying to take some of the preload out of the adjusters with some lift/thing spindles.

This was the "Thing Thread" where i had heard ghia/bolt on bj caliper brackets would work:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Those 3 bolt adapter brackets look fine if they fit the thing spindles, don't know if they are "forged'
Us Super guys have been using the adapter brackets for years, I have never heard of any that "broke".
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

ponyboy88 wrote:
Confused I had heard that the thing spindles would accept any bolt on standard beetle/ghia kit, not so? Trying to take some of the preload out of the adjusters with some lift/thing spindles.

This was the "Thing Thread" where i had heard ghia/bolt on bj caliper brackets would work:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

I guess it depends on what you are considering bolt on. 99% of the Beetle's/Ghia's I've come across have used a disc kit that used disc specific spindles. Not many bought the drum spindle caliper bracket kits. I don't see any reason why the drum spindle caliper brackets wouldn't fit, but they are made for a Type 1 spindle. It's a new part, so there may be some irregularity in the casting that may need modified to work on a Thing spindle. That's your only option, and I don't see any listed with a forged bracket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, still need to hunt down a few details before I go through with this but hoping it will help a lot with the drivability of the car.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

I recently used this kit on my Thing beam in a Ghia.
http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2983.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only problem that I had is that the calipers have two bleeders each, one of my calipers was not drilled through at the bleeder and as luck would have it, this is the bleeder that ended up on top. I just swapped it to the other side.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I recently used this kit on my Thing beam in a Ghia.
http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2983.html

Good lord! Answer my question and drop a photo of that beauty. Looks like 5he same basic kit I was looking at
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/front-disc-...ors_319401
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Order the beam adjusters and hook & rod kit at the same time so you can build the beam before you install it.

I only installed the upper adjuster & used it to compensate for the lift of the Bilsteins. By installing just the upper, I don’t have to worry about bashing the adjuster on something.

The thing beam up front with 1 outer spline adjustment in the rear works well, but you will need to notch the rear spring plate some to gain a bit of travel back.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

BTW, pretty sure that their brackets are NOT forged.

ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

i am fairly certain as well. doesn't look like anyone's is...

My thing beam is toast, only going to be able to use the arms and spindles.

My beam has adjusters and the hook and rod installed but i will lose it partially with the new arms... Anyone sell the hooks anymore?

I am fairly certain the car has stock spindles and the adjusters fully cranked. It rides terrible even with newer shocks (i have three years on them).

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Kartek has the best deal so far...
https://www.kartek.com/parts/hook-rod-gusset-kit-4-hooks-2-rods.html

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Are you building a baja or class 11? Confused as why you'd want Thing parts other than to lift the front.
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Are you building a baja or class 11? Confused as why you'd want Thing parts other than to lift the front.

car was already built as a soft core baja but by using adjusters by the previous owner. I want to take some tension off the adjusters but keep the ride height similar using thing spindles..
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

The Thing front end makes for a stronger balljoint beam due to the fact that it flips the lower balljoints so that they're being compressed instead of being pulled apart by the weight of the car and/or large bumps.

ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

The Thing front end makes for a stronger balljoint beam due to the fact that it flips the lower balljoints so that they're being compressed instead of being pulled apart by the weight of the car and/or large bumps.

that too! lol.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:

Us Super guys have been using the adapter brackets for years, I have never heard of any that "broke".

Breaking isn't the problem. Flexing is.
I have a friend who had those bolt on brackets on his super. Under light braking, everything was fine. But when he hit the brakes hard, he could hear a strange noise. It took him a while to figure it out, then he noticed shiny spots on the insides of the wheel's spokes. The bracket was bending over enough so the caliper was hitting the wheel.
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
cletus_zuber wrote:

Breaking isn't the problem. Flexing is.
I have a friend who had those bolt on brackets on his super. Under light braking, everything was fine. But when he hit the brakes hard, he could hear a strange noise. It took him a while to figure it out, then he noticed shiny spots on the insides of the wheel's spokes. The bracket was bending over enough so the caliper was hitting the wheel.

Know anyone selling forged brackets? I have extra offset compared most supers but just because they don’t rub doesn’t mean I want my brakes all flexy.
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has forged caliper brackets these days? Reply with quote

Emailed MAMO since they were the only ones who listed forged brackets, thereresponse bellow...

”There was a discrepancy in the product description on the website and what you actually get with the front disc brake kit. This kit actually comes with heavy duty cast brackets, not forged.”

Ordered them any way, hopefully it works out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: