Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

procedure for adjusting valves
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

Now that I have a bug in front of me, I am reading page by page of the John Muir book to become more familiar with everything. Primarily Chapter X

having never adjusted valves before, I was getting ready to do this in the next few days. On page 100, it explains this process. Right off the bat, it mentions to NOT JACK THE CAR UP to do this.

my question is, why? Why can't this be done with the car on jack stands? I was wanting to remove the rear wheels, to check valves, brakes, and to take a gander of everything under the ass end. This will be my first close up of the bug since I brought it home.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

While there is a lot of what J. Muir wrote that is correct or at least humorous, there is a fair amount that is just wrong. That example happens to be one of those.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

I think he doesn't want you under a jacked up car for safety reasons. There is no reason why you can't do a valve adjustment with the car on jack stands. He may also be referring to you not needing to jack the car up to do the adjustment.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

You can do it with the car on jack stands. Here a quick crappy video I made.

https://youtu.be/9YDjbfeRSP0

Once you determine you’re on #1 you just go from there. Rotate the crank pulley 1/2 turn counterclockwise and do #2. Rotate 1/2 turn and do #3. Rotate 1/2 turn and do #4. It’s literally a 10-15 job.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
You can do it with the car on jack stands. Here a quick crappy video I made.

https://youtu.be/9YDjbfeRSP0

Once you determine you’re on #1 you just go from there. Rotate the crank pulley 1/2 turn counterclockwise and do #2. Rotate 1/2 turn and do #3. Rotate 1/2 turn and do #4. It’s literally a 10-15 job.

Thank you
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

You can do a valve adjustment with the car jacked up, just make sure it's sitting level while doing so otherwise you'll get a rather nasty, oily surprise when you pop the lower side valve cover off.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

Might have been easy to adjust on an old Bus with reduction gears since there is much more clearance, and he did a lot of his work on those models.

Same issue with his advice to check front end toe with two straight sticks... just can't be done on a Bug, but maybe it can on a Bus.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Same issue with his advice to check front end toe with two straight sticks... just can't be done on a Bug, but maybe it can on a Bus.

Sure you can check the toe on a Bug with two sticks, you just can't measure directly from the inside of one wheel to the other because there's a body in the way.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

I wonder if people were driving fugly slammed VWs back when JM wrote that, if he'd have worded his jacking comments differently. Twisted Evil

As it is, I always saw that as a case of "what happenes when someone has a car fall off the jacks and gets hurt by it, and they claim I told them to do it?"

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

I raise the right side a little (not off the ground), adjust those valves, then do same for the left side.

Why???
1. More room to work
2. To prevent any oil from draining out

Someone gave me his Muir book over 3 decades ago when he sold his VW; I can't say that I use it, but looked through it way back then. Wasn't overly impressed.

My favorite is the old Clymer repair manual (except those bindings didn't hold up), and I did buy a used orange Bentley book.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Sure you can check the toe on a Bug with two sticks, you just can't measure directly from the inside of one wheel to the other because there's a body in the way.

Yes, but it's not as accurate, and Muir specifically stated to measure at 3/9 o'clock on the rim, which just can't be done.

Years ago, I worked up a "dogleg" version of the sticks to measure and it worked. They looked eerily like a swastika if you held them together crosswise!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

I was rather amused when I looked at the Toyota Service Manual for my 83 Camry in regards to checking the rear toe-in, it was much like Muir, just using a tape measure between the tires instead of two sticks on the rims (mark the tire treads, run a tape measure from one tire to the other at the middle-rear, roll the car forward a half a turn and measure it at the same place... but when I went to do it, I found it to be just like the VW, it can't be done exactly at 3/9 on the clock with the carbody in the way)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
mukluk wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yes, but it's not as accurate, and Muir specifically stated to measure at 3/9 o'clock on the rim, which just can't be done.

Years ago, I worked up a "dogleg" version of the sticks to measure and it worked. They looked eerily like a swastika if you held them together crosswise!

Measuring at 3/9 o'clock on the rim is possible with two sticks, just not directly. I'd say you've already figured out how, but seem to not quite be connecting the dots.

Basically it's a given you can't measure directly from rim to rim because there's a body in the way (unless you're working on just the pan or a rail buggy), so you take your two straight sticks and place them on the floor, parallel to and centered upon the outboard edge of the wheels. Make a mark on the floor coinciding with the front and rear of the rim directly next to the inboard side of the sticks, then use the sticks to measure the distance between the two front marks and the two rear marks. The difference in distance between the two is your toe value. You have now measured the toe on your Bug, at the 3/9 o'clock position (indirectly), with two straight sticks. The exact same method can be used to measure toe out on the rear wheels.

I still say the "don't jack the car" warning was to keep people from dumping their oil on the ground while adjusting the valves. Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

The issue is Muir's description and drawing... it simply can't be done this way on a Bug!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, there are multiple ways to deal with this. I later replaced my z-sticks with a metal piece from JC Whitney. You tighten the screw to lock the sticks together at the front, then move to the back and wiggle it see how much more space between the rims you have; this is the toe-in measurement you seek. It is listed on Amazon but is not available. I don't use the dial, I just lock it and wiggle.
https://www.amazon.com/VKRP-Distributors-Wheel-Alignment-Toe-In-Toe-Out-Gauge/dp/B01CB26JXQ

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Realistically, a trip to the home center for some 1"wide by maybe 1/8" thick by 4-5 feet long aluminum pieces, cut/drill screw together to make a set of Z-sticks, and you have a gauge that will last a lifetime. Use a wingnut at the center and make a slot in one of the sticks so you can slide and lock. A couple of hours and viola!

Harbor Freight might have these now.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I raise the right side a little (not off the ground), adjust those valves, then do same for the left side.

Why???
1. More room to work
2. To prevent any oil from draining out

Yep, works for me. If I'm also draining the oil (usual at valve adjustment time), I just put it on ramps or jackstands so I can scoot under as needed.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

Valve Adjustments, on my 62 and 63 (1600s) I've never felt the need to jack them up or remove and wheels. I just lay on the ground and do it. I can do the adjustment faster than I can jack up the car and put it on stands.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Valve Adjustments, on my 62 and 63 (1600s) I've never felt the need to jack them up or remove and wheels. I just lay on the ground and do it. I can do the adjustment faster than I can jack up the car and put it on stands.

It's nice having a car with some ground clearance, isn't it? Very Happy
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

I jack it up, put it on stands, and take the wheels off. I like having room to work.
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: procedure for adjusting valves Reply with quote

This video will show you how to find TDC and how to adjust your valves. I had never done a VW bug before and after watching this video adjusting the valves was a piece of cake. Someone else on this site provided the link when I asked in another thread so here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9iPyT50WM

Also found this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtNARLdF58
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: