Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

I'm trying to research information on these conversions when they were offered ,how many and what it's worth as I'm probably going to sell it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Jeffworley wrote:
I'm trying to research information on these conversions when they were offered ,how many and what it's worth as I'm probably going to sell it

Looks like possibly an Empi sportster to me? Based on about 30 seconds of looking through this thread a few down from yours:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Its worth whatever you can get for it. Looks nice, check the classifieds for comps. Be sure to look and see how long the car has been for sale before locking into some dreamer price.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba.

All anything is worth is what your ability is to find a willing buyer. I could say it's with $25,000 but if you can not find anybody to give you that much than my number is worthless.

Post a picture of the rear with engine. Does it start and run? Do you have a clear tilte?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Dave was NOT serious when he said it was worth $25K. But yeah, it sure looks like an Empi sportster....There are several threads on these on here.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

I remember a thread a few years back when a guy was very seriously offended that nobody would agree with him on the value of his Buggy. He was trying to sell his for $25,000.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Looks like a sportster maybe a factory one with the knobs on the windshield. Check the tunnel to see if there is a extra tag where the vw vin is. Theres a range of prices on these check the classifieds here.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

$500
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Hello JeffWorley,

Looks like a Empi Sportster but have to take a side profile shot. When it come to how much you can price it out your self and see who bites. Look at the classifieds section and see.

Most Empi Sportster would say that no money can buy it.

Good luck, get it running have some fun.

Tony
57 Empi Sportster
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Lets see some more pictures of that barn find . It looks good .
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Good looking Sportster. I might be interested in buying, please PM or email me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

I believe the EMPI Sportster was first sold in 1963. Yours looks like an excellent example and very possibly a factory made or full factory kit.

Might be able to tell more with more pictures

ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Jeffworley wrote:

If you do decide to sell it I'm very interested. Sold my last sportster and regretting it.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Wish the O P would come back a post up some more pics and what he plans are are for this unit. Humm
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
Wish the O P would come back a post up some more pics and what he plans are are for this unit. Humm

It's at Barrett-Jackson with a new price tag -

bnc
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Dang Barrette Jackson this got serious Like to see that. I tried to loo it up on their web site for the up coming sale and didnt see it , I searched seven ways till Sunday to try and find it no luck.
Jeffworley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

This Empi is sold seems I was a little low in price. Thank you for this site I'll figure out how to delete my ad thanks to all the folks that inquired !¡!
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Hopefully we see the new owner logging in.
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Jeffworley wrote:

What I realized about selling some of my own kit cars is that if you find the right buyer you can make a decent profit. The first Phoenix we bought was a transporter and had the chassis rusted though, a hard job for us because we don't weld but easier for the guy who bought it. We sold it for 5k which is pretty solid taking all the damage to account.

My best advice is to look and see how much demand there is, check out the rarity and price it from there. You can overshoot and keep the price negotiable.
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

Original Empi body but the pan was shortened by the original builder.Very original, straight and rust free. The PO replaced the engine that was in it with a "age appropriate,running" engine. More pictures in the gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find need information Empi kit car dune buggy Reply with quote

That is a really cool and very original looking find. I don't understand why some responders get sort of smartass or snippy whenever someone on here asks for an opinion of value... 'it's worth whatever someone will pay for it...' Duh. Sometimes though, a person needs a reasonable starting point and with the amount of knowledge and experience on this board it's a reasonable place to ask the question.

My 2 cents on value, I have no idea, but, if you do a decent google search for Empi Sporster sales you're likely to come up with a reasonable number of comparables, then just compare what you know about condition of yours and derive from there.

I personally love original and unrestored and would love to see this kept as much as is as possible. Good cleaning and mechanical sorting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: