Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera roof install on tintop
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Been thinking about putting a poptop on my tintop bus for a while now, with two kids some extra sleeping space is much appreciated.
Since a westy roof needs a lot of work on roof support etc I decided tot start searching for a Riviera roof.
About a week ago I found a (mostly) complete roof only 20 minutes from home.
Picked it up last weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now the puzzle starts...

I've been looking through all the stuff that came with it.
As far as i can see i'm missing the latches to hold the roof down (ordered online) and the springs are not with it.
Now my first question, what is the length, thickness, etc of the springs? And how many do i need?
I've been searching online but looks like some roofs have the springs on the top and others are at the bottom.

Now some pictures of the frame etc, if you see anything wrong or missing please let me know!

If you have any detailed mounting pictures please feel free to add them here!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

That's a very ambitious project, Bram, and I'm eager to see its process.

Once the sun comes up today, I'll take some pics for you. And after that, if you need additional details, I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Best of luck with it!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Where does the trampoline fit?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Where does the trampoline fit?

That is for jumping for joy when the project is complete. Laughing

Here are some pics of the exterior...
NO laughing at the original ripped tent. It functions...just isn't pretty...

Passenger side:

Rear:

Spring:

The springs are pretty massive, and under a lot of tension even with the top up. So I'm not sure if I can get one off to meaure it. Can you contact the previous owner and ask if he/she still has them?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

A few interior shots:

Let me know if you want any pics of specific areas or dimensions of anything.

---WildIdea

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Not sure of your options to buy canvas in Europe but these guys have them here. Good luck.

http://www.busdepot.com/180002

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Before you proceed, Bram, have you checked how well the top fits on your roof? The bottom rim of the fiberglass top needs to fit just inside the drip rails of your bus. It would be good info to know before cutting a huge hole in your roof. Wink

---WildIdea

Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the information and photos, realy appreciate it!
Gives me a good view at how all parts actualy should be mounted.
I contacted the previous owner but when he bought the roof the springs were already missing...
So gonna search some more what the length etc should be so i can start searching for a set.

Today after work dropped by the local hardware store with a list of all nuts and bolts of the X frames, i'm gonna replace all the old stuff with stainless steel ones.

Started polishing the X frame bars yesterday, lot of work but well worth it.
I'll see if i can take some pictures this weekend.

Thanks again guys!
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

First pieces polished, Takes some time but well worth it.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Bram wrote:
First pieces polished, Takes some time but well worth it.

Yes, it's looking good. But isn't that the galvanized coating that is coming off? Are you going to protect them with something? It would suck to go through all this work, just to have them rust out in a few years. Crying or Very sad

---WildIdea

Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Hi Kent,

The cross bars and slider rails are all aluminum, so no rust problems there.
All nuts, bolts and washers are being replaced with stainless steel.

It's realy cleaning up very nice, got one side done today.
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Some more progress

And while polishing the part that is bolted to the roof this number appeared. Is this perhaps the production date? 3-8-73 5012-23

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

It's amazing how something 45 years old can look brand new again.

You're doing nice work, Bram. And it's great you're making this thread, in case someone else in the future has such an ambitious idea. Kudos to you. Dancing

---WildIdea

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

just thought I would drop my idea down here. My 17 yo boy and I are working on a 79 tintop, and we already have a 73 sportsmobile, very similar in the straight up popping department. The kid really likes the sleeping area up top, and wants to make his bus like mine. I suggested that he may regret cutting a big hole in the roof. We are pondering the idea of installing the SMB top WITHOUT cutting a hole. we would flip the canvas around so that the luggage access zipper is in the rear rather than the front, and he could climb a ladder (either a drip rail 70's special, or a rv upper bunk ladder from the outside rear of the bus. We WOULD however need to come up with a remote or wired popping mech. It could double duty as latching, or have a exterior latching mech. We like this idea, as it gives extra sleeping area in the bus (he already has a Z product hinge under his factory bench, so I think he really does not need the uptop space) without a lot of damage to the bus if he wants to go back to tintop. just a couple of boltholes to fill.
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Have you thought of a rooftop tent?
Works about the same as what you have planned, except you don't have to drill holes in the roof of the bus.

I also have one, a vintage one from the seventies, i planned on using it on the bus but with the little children i prefer a poptop roof, so we all sleep in the same area.
I'm gonna use the tent on my doublecab.

Btw, this is the bus that's getting the Riviera roof.
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

X frames are polished, just need to wait for some minor parts to put on, than they're finished.

Started work on the front roof part yesterday.
This is in rough shape, lots of cracks, dents etc. Looks like it almost broke in two pieces once.
The previous owner had the inside done with a new layer of fiberglass so it's got it's strength back.
But the outside still needs a lot of love.

Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

Anyone can show me a picture of how the luggage rack is attached to the metal roof?
I've heard there should be some sort of spacer in between the Fiberglass and metal roof. But i haven't got a clue how it looks.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

There are four holes in the roof over the cab that have threaded nuts welded to the cab ceiling on the original riviera. On the outside there are four hockey puck like hard black plastic spacer/washers that go between the metal roof and fiberglass top. I will try to find a photo.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

I snapped these pics real quick.

Not sure what they are made of but they feel like really hard plastic. Very dense like a fiberglass or plastic hockey puck.

And last....not a great picture because the sound deadened is covering the welded nut but there are four of them that line up with the four holes in the luggage rack.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera roof install on tintop Reply with quote

there's really no reason to ever go back to tintop. a poptop is and should always be worth more
the primary benefit of having a hole into the poptop is standing room while camping. it's not always dry & sunny when one camps.. so being able to set up and be comfortable inside w/o going out is a major plus.
plus with a younger owner, it very well may goto festivals, and that ladder out the back will be a pain. not to mention potentially disappear overnight leaving a doozy of a 1st step.
but it's your bus, do as you like.

alman72 wrote:
just thought I would drop my idea down here. My 17 yo boy and I are working on a 79 tintop, and we already have a 73 sportsmobile, very similar in the straight up popping department. The kid really likes the sleeping area up top, and wants to make his bus like mine. I suggested that he may regret cutting a big hole in the roof. We are pondering the idea of installing the SMB top WITHOUT cutting a hole. we would flip the canvas around so that the luggage access zipper is in the rear rather than the front, and he could climb a ladder (either a drip rail 70's special, or a rv upper bunk ladder from the outside rear of the bus. We WOULD however need to come up with a remote or wired popping mech. It could double duty as latching, or have a exterior latching mech. We like this idea, as it gives extra sleeping area in the bus (he already has a Z product hinge under his factory bench, so I think he really does not need the uptop space) without a lot of damage to the bus if he wants to go back to tintop. just a couple of boltholes to fill.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: