Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newby here. Inner window scraper hell.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

First, the intro short version. After about 35 years or so being bug-less, last week I bought wifey a '67 for her birthday.

Pretty decent car, but needed carb re-built, master cylinder, all window weatherstripping, etc. Being retired for a couple years now, and with a lifetime of all kinds of mechanical work behind me, I figured it would be no big deal to jump right into the doors and fix that right up!

So, I got online, found CIP, and ordered the kit for both doors. Did I mention that I usually go the cheap route? Yep, bought the Brazilian kit. Wondering now if that might have been the expensive route.

So, back online and found this forum. WOW! I didn't realize there was so much good info, and so many volks-folks in one place. I've been searching the forums, but can't find the answer to my question of the moment.

The problem for now: I got the outer scrapers installed okay, the wing-windows done and installed, and started trying to install the inner scrapers. About ready to pull out all three remaining hairs from my head! The clips will not hold the scraper in place. Said clips deform when pushing them in, and they seem to be too close to the top of the scraper, because when I get them in, the rubber lip of the scraper, which should sit on top of the door sill, is down too low. I've already pulled 2 of the clips out while trying to re-shape them with needle-nose pliers.

Main question: Are the German scrapers sold by CIP really what I need? If so, I don't mind paying the price, now that I've wasted money on the cheap ones, lost plenty of time, and embarrassed my dog with my top-level cussing for most of the day.

Any expert advice will be appreciated, and pics of the car will be forthcoming soon. I had almost forgotten how much fun driving a beetle could be. My last one was a '73 super.

Thanks,
Stan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

One of the best pieces I got reading up on this issue on the site was to save the old wires from the scrapers. not sure if what shape yours were or are in but they came if they came out they will go back in, I also wrestled with the same issue a few years back. patients. good luck
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

Hopefully you saved the old scrapers and can salvage the old clips and transfer them to the new scrapers. They don't bend up as easy as the new ones
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

Indeed, the biggest piece of advice given regarding window install is to save the original hardware.

Same goes for a lot of other parts, which are simply not reproduced in the same materials they were originally.

Now that you are more familiar with this site, do a quick search before first-timing anything, even on basic replacement. You’ll find you won’t throw away another clip, bolt, spring, washer, etc...

The days of finding this stuff at wrecking yards is gone.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

X4 on the save the original clips. I bought the more expensive scrapers and reused the original clips and the job was easy.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

I bought inner scrapers from Wolfsburg West and they were nice. Even used the clips that came with them. Oddly at the time they were cheaper than most other places as well.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! Got it done. Actually cleaned up the inner scrapers that I had taken out. Rubbed them good with Armor-all and they look nearly as good as the new ones. The only reason I was replacing them was because I had bought the complete kit. After closer inspection, I found these differences in new and old: The clips on the new are about 0.100" closer to the top of the scraper. The new clips are formed from 0.010" thick material, while the old are 0.012" thick. Thus the old are stronger, and less easy to deform. I don't have the capabilities to check the metal alloy or temper, so any difference there, which could be a major consideration, is unknown.

As for the advice to never throw away a clip, bolt, bracket, etc., I do understand that advice. I had owned several different bugs back in the 70's, and did a bit of mechanical repair for myself and others during that time. I still have a plastic storage box of various sized nuts, bolts, and screws from that time. I've moved them around with me for about 40 years now, never could see a reason to throw them out. So glad now!

I was involved in the antique tractor hobby as well as antique big-truck hobby for lots of years also, and the same horror of the high scrap-metal prices took it's toll on nearly all our sources for parts too. What a shame!

Thanks again,
Stan
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby here. Inner window scraper hell. Reply with quote

I know this is late to the game but when I install the inner scrapers I use the old retainer and I install it using a pair of 12" needle nose pliers reaching up from inside the door. I can do a scraper in a couple of minutes.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: