Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja California Bus Camping
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narfro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Baja California Bus Camping Reply with quote

Planning an impromptu trip down to Baja in a couple of weeks in my 73 bay. Don't think I'll be able to stick around too long, but want to make it down to Chapala at least. Have heard good things about San Felipe and Puertecitos on the gulf side, but seeing as I'm hoping to connect the 5 to the 1 and take the 1 back up into California wondering what are some other spots I should stop at for the day/night on the pacific side.

Would love to hear some suggestions, personal anecdotes, stories, share your pictures, whatever.
billdozer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja California Bus Camping Reply with quote

Puertocitos and San Felipe can be great but the palapas on the beach at the south end of Gonzaga Bay are even better. Hell, it's all good, really just depends on what you are looking to do. It's 30 miles or so of washboard from Gonzaga to Chapala, but totally passable in a bus, so you can make a nice big loop out of it (5 to the 1). Try El Jardin in San Quintin, Cuatros Casas a little north of Camalu and just pull off in the desert to camp somewhere in the giant cactus forests of Catavina. (Those are all names you can google and get images, more info, etc. Feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja California Bus Camping Reply with quote

The wife and I really liked Don Eddie's in San Quintin. The RV spots are nothing much, but the location, bar and food are fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja California Bus Camping Reply with quote

This sounds like an epic trip. When are you planning?
narfro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja California Bus Camping Reply with quote

billdozer wrote:
Puertocitos and San Felipe can be great but the palapas on the beach at the south end of Gonzaga Bay are even better. Hell, it's all good, really just depends on what you are looking to do. It's 30 miles or so of washboard from Gonzaga to Chapala, but totally passable in a bus, so you can make a nice big loop out of it (5 to the 1). Try El Jardin in San Quintin, Cuatros Casas a little north of Camalu and just pull off in the desert to camp somewhere in the giant cactus forests of Catavina. (Those are all names you can google and get images, more info, etc. Feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

Billdozer - my buddy and I are going to try and drive from Santa Barbara to Puertecitos in (mostly) one shot. Just from google maps we saw an abundance of dirt road that leads to beaches around the area so hoping we can pull into a nice little secluded area while also still being close enough to the hot springs.

We're not so sure about doing the 5 to the 1 so much anymore. I'm going to PM you, but our main concern would be not being able to find camp sites on the beach (whether cheap or free) just because it looks like pacific side is so developed.

We may just end up taking it day by day to Punta Final and then diving back up and hitting strips of beaches we missed on the way down. We've heard some good and bad things about Punta Final, so we want to check it out, but may end up going back around that cove and camping at Campo Beluga (which I think may be the palapas in Gonzaga Bay?)
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baja California Bus Camping Reply with quote

We really liked Mulege and Bahia Concepcion right south of it. It's on the gulf coast as well, but a tad farther south than you mentioned, don't know how far you want to go.

Bahia Concepcion has really awesome beaches and nice palapas. Google "Playa el Requeson" to get an idea.

We especially loved the south of Baja. Todos Santos and Cabo Pulmo (NOT the other Cabos, unless you like giant block-shaped hotel bunkers) were among our favorites, as well as the springs in Santiago.

Make sure to check iOverlander for good camp spots! Smile

Sounds like a cool trip, I'd love to be down there again!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: