Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help - gas tank bottom - hook up?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

Gents-

I bought a new gas tank for the dune buggy. I can't remember how to go from the bottom of the tank to the fuel line.

Does anyone have a diagram, list or photos of how/what I run from the hold in bottom of tank to the fuel line?

Thank you,
Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/index.cfm?type=1
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

So the stainless rod that comes with the kit would extend down (outside the tank) to which the fuel line would than be clamped to?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209021G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

yeah....the spigot just comes out at a right angle and you slip the hose on.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

Thanks.... this helps....

Quick follow-up question: do you think the "in tank" filter that comes with the kit (my link above) needs to be changed at any certain time? every year? or ?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

If your tank is clean, then it will be years and years before you need to concern yourself with it. Many folks don't install the screen and just put a filter below the tank. Give yourself enough hose to allow for this. And really, a filter below the tank is a good idea anyway. Don't put one in the engine compartment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

Hi andk559a ... you mention: "And really, a filter below the tank is a good idea anyway. Don't put one in the engine compartment" ...

I can see that, but what about the filter holder posted on this site for sale? It mounts on the transmission side and is in what appears to be in a safe location. What are your thoughts there? Thanks
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

i tapped the inner hole of my gas tank to receive a pipe threaded elbow got rid of the flange type nut
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

Most of my own cars have them above the rear axle. But in these cases, I usually had a new tank and all the lines were in real good shape. If you are deleting the screen and its an older tank, I would suggest putting it below the tank to prevent debris from clogging the main fuel line. Total pain in the ass snaking the main line out...

In the case of everything being old and its something like a barn find, I will actually run 3 for a while - one under the tank, one at the rear axle and one before the carb...And yeah - the one at the carb goes away as soon as I am comfortable that there is no more crud coming from the fuel pump.....I may or may not remove one of the other ones - depending on how fast they get dirty.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help - gas tank bottom - hook up? Reply with quote

Well my tank is new; my fuel line is new as is my carb....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: