Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug eye kit street legal in NC?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
droopync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

as title implys, are bug eyes street legal in NC? Also what would be the easiest way to graph early headlight buckets on to a bug eye nose piece? this is not for trail use..so durability is not a concern.i know they make fiberglass bucket replacements...i just wonder if they are even needed?just cut the the holes a little bigger on the nose piece?i know there is the issue of angle but i'm just looking to get the early lights on a narrow eye and have it look relatively clean?thoughts?i do have some pretty wasted early fenders i could cut up...but with the bucket replacements only 50 bucks a pair i dont see it being worth the trouble.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

Way back when, there were Bug Eye noses sold for using 6Volt headlights.

It would be MAJOR plastic surgery to fit them in starting with a 12 volt nose. MAJOR. You would need to add several inches to the part of the nose under the lights to make it work. Looks kinda funky like a skinny woman with real large implants. COULD be done so it looks good if you're good at sculpting.

You could set the headlights back into the nose so the top edge of the rim is next to the back edge where the hood meets the nose. But again, it's major surgery and re-sculpting of the entire upper portion of the nose.

As far as the question of is it legal in North Carolina...

SEMA has a web page about the vehicle requirements in all the states. You might also be able to research it online through your state's Motor Vehicle Department. I don't have the link for either. Google or Bing it or whatever you like to use.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

Geico insurance told user fenix no modified chassis, suspension, or body panels. Would no longer insure my rail they previously insured when I finished the rebuild. Progressive would cover my spec con but I did get them to admit they would not cover more than a 4" suspension lift. Might want to be sure you can insure it before dumping cash into it.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Geico insurance told user fenix no modified chassis, suspension, or body panels. Would no longer insure my rail they previously insured when I finished the rebuild. Progressive would cover my spec con but I did get them to admit they would not cover more than a 4" suspension lift. Might want to be sure you can insure it before dumping cash into it.

They (Geico) told me it was state specific based on who they used to underwrite the policies in a particular state. So that information was from Missouri. Missouri is down to Progressive, Farmers/Foremost, and Haggerty.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

Take a look at some of the rat rods on the streets of NC & you will quickly determine that NC doesn't give a rat's ass about what roams the streets, your car isn't even required to participate in the annual inspection. If you're screwing around, you might find an officer willing to give you a hard time.

Check out the FU#*ED up angle of those front shocks.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/72-vw-bug-beetle-kharman/6491458071.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
droopync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

wow! those shocks do look kinda useless/dangerous at that angle.whats weirder tho is that they committed to all sorts of weird mods yet couldn't bring themselves to delete the aprons...at least the rear....being a super i'm not even sure how that would work on the front...to each their own i guess.but yeah now that you mention it long as you got working lights the state should be ok.
droopync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bug eye kit street legal in NC? Reply with quote

after lookin at it again it does look pretty solid ..it mighta hurt me a little to cut them too...but if yr going for a look you gotta commit..not like its an early model lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: