Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

old bug bike rack info
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkedlizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: old bug bike rack info Reply with quote

Hello, trying to figure out what I have here. No brand marks and previous owner didn't know where it came from or how it mounts on the bug. Looks like it might mount on the bumper but mine are in storage and can't try mounting them. Any info will be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: old bug bike rack info Reply with quote

I have a couple of those hoop racks. Yours has one hook of four that reaches over (and under) the bumper. It simply grabs over the top and under the bottom and you cinch four wing nuts tight on the bolts. The strap acts as a stabilizer that hooks up over the top of the deck lid.

Your rack has an improvised nail header from Home Depot as a bumper "strap." So be on the lookout for at least 3 more of the proper hook brackets that you have one of- they are essential to the rack's mountability. They work on the regular bumpers that have a black stripe- but "teeter" on the bumpers that have a thick rubber insert.

That rack is an American piece (likely Barrecrafter, Sears) but were also offered at VW dealers in the early 70s as an accessory IIRC from literature.

I see these racks at every 3-4 VW swap meet I attend. Don't hang bikes you care about from that- they will be covered in exhaust particulates and there's a chance your stingray could become road fillet. Smile I used one for display many years ago- and am working on a chrome one for my '71.

PS- I just scoured every accessory catalog in the lit archives- but cannot see a single bike rack on a bug. I probably saw the ad in an old car mag- but I have seen one.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
inkedlizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: old bug bike rack info Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I have a couple of those hoop racks. Yours has one hook of four that reaches over (and under) the bumper. It simply grabs over the top and under the bottom and you cinch four wing nuts tight on the bolts. The strap acts as a stabilizer that hooks up over the top of the deck lid.

Your rack has an improvised nail header from Home Depot as a bumper "strap." So be on the lookout for at least 3 more of the proper hook brackets that you have one of- they are essential to the rack's mountability. They work on the regular bumpers that have a black stripe- but "teeter" on the bumpers that have a thick rubber insert.

That rack is an American piece (likely Barrecrafter, Sears) but were also offered at VW dealers in the early 70s as an accessory IIRC from literature.

I see these racks at every 3-4 VW swap meet I attend. Don't hang bikes you care about from that- they will be covered in exhaust particulates and there's a chance your stingray could become road fillet. Smile I used one for display many years ago- and am working on a chrome one for my '71.

PS- I just scoured every accessory catalog in the lit archives- but cannot see a single bike rack on a bug. I probably saw the ad in an old car mag- but I have seen one.

I've been searching and haven't found anything like it. I was told it could be mounted on the front too. I won't hang a bike on it, just use it as display. Do you have any pictures of your racks you can post? How much $$ do they go for ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: