Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door lock problems 1964 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ienjoyvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Door lock problems 1964 bug Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post to this exciting forum. Hope I am doing this correctly.
I have recently purchased a 1964, late model bug without keys for the door locks. I purchased (3) new aftermarket key lock handles from (2) sources; The Samba private seller and from one of the common aftermarket suppliers. I installed them on both doors and the open/close push button function on the handle works fine and the key will lock the mechanism smoothly. The problem is that the key will NOT unlock the mechanism. It binds on something. I have removed the mechanism, greased it everywhere and it functions smoothly. The strange thing is that when you remove the (2) screws which hold it in place on the leading edge of the door and slide or move the handle about 3/16”-1/4” toward the front of the car as shown in the attached photos, the key smoothly locks and unlocks the mechanism.
I am aware of the difference between the early and late ’64 model hardware changes and that the lock mechanism, the exterior handle and interior door handle pivot stem must all match and they do. Can anyone offer a solve???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: