Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can’t get into gear?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

hey all. i was just driving my car for about a hour and one i cost to my destination in the parking lot i began having issue getting into first and second gear. sometimes it would not go in at all and i needed to try like say 5 times for it to actually go in. after i parked i tried shifting into gears and i still had the same problem where it would not want to go in for a few attempts then it would work totally fine for a few tries, then wouldn’t again. any idea what this could be?
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

Check to see if the bolts are tight that secure the shifter as well as the shift rod bushing wich I am sure is bad. last but not least remove inspection plate in rear seat area and check the linkage. These bushings never go bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF92BYupbw4

Last edited by andrewvwclassic on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

Shift rod bushing needs replacement, and/or the coupler.

You might even have loose bolts at your shift housing, but I’d bet it’s the shift rod bushing is shot.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

Also check your motor mounts. No tools required, just open the deck and rap the throttle pretty good a few times. There should be very minimal engine movement. You will have to crawl underneath to check the nose cone mount though.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

thank you everybody for the responses! i will look into it the next few days and post results!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

Could also be you need to adjust for proper clutch pedal play.
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

Just checked it out. The shifter was completely loose! tightened the two bolts and it was perfect! easy fix! thanks everyone!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: can’t get into gear? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
Just checked it out. The shifter was completely loose! tightened the two bolts and it was perfect! easy fix! thanks everyone!

Great that it was an easy fix! Still do check your pedal play and adjust as needed. Keeping it in the proper range makes for longer lasting clutch friction surfaces and less long term damage to the transaxle. So better to check it now and then, like at tune up time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: