Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat Tins
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Scat Tins Reply with quote

Anyone have input on these tins (not the Chrome ones... but the Raw ones)?
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SCAT-36hp-VW-Doghouse...ud-kit.htm

If they are any good, what's the best way to paint? Take them to a paint shop? Powder Coated?

They say they are THINK and not the "flimsy" after market ones.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:

If they are any good, what's the best way to paint? Take them to a paint shop? Powder Coated?

What's wrong with the oem tins Question

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

The shroud is OK. Not as good as a German doghouse shroud but better than some of the other Chinese shrouds.
The cylinder tin needs work to be useable, and doesn't fit well unless you make it better. There is a little air deflector between the spark plugs that is missing. You need to make it and add it.
The other parts I have no idea, I thought we all had piles of that stuff so I never have bought it. Except maybe the rear tin, the one without any holes, and you always need to adjust the holes spacing.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
kevlarian wrote:

Finding good oem tin can be difficult, at least where I am. Everything has had stripped screws, broken corners, beat on with a rock, hundred extra holes drilled, etc.
I've probably got a few dozen sets but none is particularly nice.
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
kevlarian wrote:

Good question. I don't know if I actually have OEM tins. My 58 bug is running a 19114cc (AS41 block) with a doghouse fan shroud, so nothing is stock with my motor OR tins. My tins are pretty good, but my doghouse has a few extra HOLES drilled through it that I don't want Smile Maybe I should just look at a QUALITY doghouse fan shroud?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

Have you seen this one?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1872355

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Have you seen this one?

Need a doghouse without heater vents.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

esde wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
kevlarian wrote:

Finding good oem tin can be difficult, at least where I am. Everything has had stripped screws, broken corners, beat on with a rock, hundred extra holes drilled, etc.
I've probably got a few dozen sets but none is particularly nice.

The classifeds are full of oem tins in great condition. Its hard to believe, you can't find good oem tins in PA or near by PA?

02/76 Beetle sedan
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Have you seen this one?

Look at the ad again. Its available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
kevlarian wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Have you seen this one?

Look at the ad again. Its available.

He may be seeking the budget-friendly '36 horse' style shroud. That's what's in the ACN link.
I think the COOLED shroud is a noble concept, but personally, I think they would've done a greater service to the hobby by developing all the tooling for cylinder and compartment tins of OE quality, and probably had bigger profit margins and parts flying off the shelf. Shrouds are relatively easy to find, DP cylinder tins, and sled tins without ripped mounting tabs and vibration cracks, not so much. That Chinese tin is a fucking joke. Most of it folds like gum wrapper. And the shrouds I've seen in the past need to be deburred immediately, lest you slice your finger meat right to the bone.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

X2

German shrouds are still easy to find pretty cheap.

The last 4 Pomona swap meets I've been to I always look for dual port cylinder tins and sled tins. Always come up empty. Any that I do find are chewed up dog crap.

Hopefully someone will start production on some tins that are made from thicker metal than foil.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

I didn't know that oem dual port cylinders tins & oem sled tins are that hard to come by. Looks like its time to stock up. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

I bought a complete set of SCAT tins to fit on my 1904. I'll be fitting it tomorrow.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

"for you guys that are missing most of your engine tin, and want to get it all in one shot"

This made me laugh! They then go on to tell you all the things that are missing in their offering and you have to find! Didn't mention the sled tins though... Laughing
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

Top tip, leave it all loose on the screws until it's all fitted with every screw in place. Plenty unfitable tinware suddenly fits with this approach and it can be why fitting odd pieces can be trying.
Sorry if that's teaching granny to suck eggs. Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

Sorry, but i've never used Scat tins. The only aftermarket tins i've seen are the usual EMPI and they fit like SH!T.

Personally I only use genuine OEM tins. I've searched the swaps and only pick straight tins that have no rust and not been hacked. It takes some time but i have 3 complete sets.

When i build and engine for someone else, I suggest THEY find good used tins, but some insist on using aftermarket because they wither want chrome or are too lazy to find good used. In that case I tell them, unless they want to PAY for the additional time to MAKE them fit, i'll just bolt them on and if they don't fit, THEY can live with it.

I've cut my fingers too many times trimming, bending and forcing the tins to fit together and even then there are gaps.

Tins on my 2180. Yes, one or two are aftermarket since I have no heat riser or fresh air hoses.

And everything was test fit before powder painting.

Strokers can have gaps... not this time.

Making sure the larger intake manifolds fit.

BTW, there are NOS tins out there. You just have to look hard enough.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
BTW, there are NOS tins out there. You just have to look hard enough.

Anything new out of Mexico? What had they been using all these years?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

I get to see a lot of info from my customers about 36 hp fan housings due to the fact it is the fanhousing I designed for use in my Cali Style Upright conversions and also some kit manufactures use. That said nothing is better then stock, but for a Upright conversion the doghouse is an exceptional upgrade to the cooling system. OEM never made a doghouse for 36hp fanhousings. Out of all the fanhousings the Scat was the best fit and has worked in the my first T-4 conversion since 1989. the Flaps fit right in like stock.

One NOTE: DON't Get Chrome. Get painted. In my photo below of 2017 you can see the rust-- It started a month after I installed the engine in 89. Hey but the integrity of the steel even rusted has not changed, it is surface rust.

Or you can chop off the side of a stock OEM below.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

I fit the tins on my 1904cc yesterday. The SCAT tins are by far the best I have used yet beside OEM. On the 1/2 side, the cylinder tin fit tight against the case the bolt holes all lined up and it fit around the exhaust ports well. The 3/4 side had a gap of about 3/16" at the case, the bolt holes all lined up and it needed abut 1/16" of tin trimmed around the exhaust ports so they would fit tight. The shroud fits nice and deep into the cylinder head tins and tight to the case, all the threaded inserts are in the correct place, even for the chimney tins. The cooler chimney parts are by far the best I've seen, they fit tight to the shroud and each other. The gaskets for them are also included as are the alternator stand and fan tin which is much thicker than other tins I've gotten.

I had the tins on in about 20 minutes, it was nice not to fight with them for a change. The one thing I did have to modify (besides trimming around the exhaust ports) was to make room for the bigger exhaust manifolds.

brad
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scat Tins Reply with quote

Now I am going to sound like ebay, Slalombuggy I give Scat the same Review.

As to the slight amount of cutting, well they are covering all the bases.

I rather have a small amount of cutting to get it just right vs. having to add metal.

I would have giving them a 5 stars rating if the Chrome did not rust-- so they get a 4.75. Ugly but after 29 years in my bug cooling and functioning, not bad!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: