Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me sell it to the wife...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
JackStraw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I've been looking and wanting a bus a long time. I now have the cash to do so...but could use a little help in the "strategery" department when it comes to selling my wife on the idea. We all know that a happy wife helps in our endeavors...I am looking for a late bay Westy.
Beside the fun and use we would get out if it, Id like to show her that its also a good investment. In your expert opinions, how much would you say the Bay Buses have gone up in price/value in the last 5 years? How about last 10 years?

Thanks for your time!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Bays have gone up in value about as much as it costs to keep them on the road

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

do not to base your expectations of future results on past performance.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I remember way back when (I was in high school or college) when my mom made some disparaging comment about me buying a second or third VW.

I just told her that if I was spending my time and money on the VWs, then I couldn't spend it on drugs.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I remember way back when (I was in high school or college) when my mom made some disparaging comment about me buying a second or third VW.

I just told her that if I was spending my time and money on the VWs, then I couldn't spend it on drugs.

Yes, you could also sell it as an alternative to a mistress.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

The people who think they make money on VWs, even Splits are

Mathematically challenged
Unable to account for costs
Don’t understand future value
Are delusional
(E) sometimes all of the above

Don’t make it a financial case. If it’s your passion let her know this and let her have time to say yes.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

A supportive spouse is a key ingredient for sure. I would say that most would get behind a person stepping up and taking a shot on something they have worked hard to get, something like a bus if one really wants.

To me, it's a sunk cost, I don't worry about getting out alive money wise. Surly one will recoup some initial cost, but who cares how much, get a bus! Clearly, the up front cost is nothing compared to how hard it's gonna hit your pocket along the way. I guess talking about that isn't a great selling point, but realize there should be another wad saved up on top of the initial purchase.

For me, it's about follow through. I imagine there is little future value to be realized in a half baked pile sitting around for years. To me the value is in your hands as well as support from family who sees you working on the bus regularly. Document, document, document, quality service work, and ask for help from your family and get them involved, that never hurts.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Tell her the truth: She will rarely see you because you will be involved in some restoration project and it will consume most of your disposable funds.Bays have increased in value in the last decade. Now you can spend a lot more to buy a project that will consume your life.......but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Just tell her that when you hit the road you will have a clear highway in front of you to view the country side while the 40 cars and trucks behind you fuss and fume on how to get out of the traffic jam they are in Laughing. The only way she will really like a bus is to let her drive it on the test drive while you tell her how much fun you are going to have in it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Although the market has jumped in the past it seems to be levelling off lately, or at least climbing at a much slower pace.
Buying as an investment will not end well, but if you shop carefully and invest in a professional pre purchase inspection by a bus expert odds are better you won't end up in so deep you'll never recover most of what you have into it.

Do the math, research the market for finished buses and calculate backwards what that project will actually cost to finish, don't be fooled by asking prices either, actual sale prices are often drastically different.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

In 2010 when I bought my current bus (bus number 4 in my life) my wife said, “I will NEVER get in that thing!” Eight years later the bus is a family member and we go everywhere in it. When people ask her about it she tells them it’s my “mistress.” Recently she asked me what the valve of our bus was and I told her a conservative number, she smiled and enjoyed the ride alittle more that day. She has never asked me how much I’ve invested in it, which is good cause I’m totally upside down in it. Which would be a problem if I was trying a capitalize on it, but I’m not. The joy my family gets out of the bus is way better then any capital gain. I’m also pretty sure she doesn’t want to know and she always has a smile on her face in the bus.

Quick wife bus story. We have been going to Tucson for the Gem show the last 4 years in the bus. This year I told her we could take her ‘17 Rogue instead of the bus, figuring the trip would be faster and more comfortable. She seemed happy about that. A week before the trip she told me she really want to take the bus on the trip cause it’s “our thing.” Point is that a bus, especially a nice reliable one will grow on your wife and become a member of the family.

Best of luck in your decision making process and I hope you get what you’re looking for.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

See if there is someone nearby that has a bay in good condition for her to look at. And be sure beforehand that the wife has great stories of how much fun it is. All the smiles and waves they get, etc..... (Even better if the wife is the owner/mechanic).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

JackStraw72 wrote:
I've been looking and wanting a bus a long time. I now have the cash to do so...but could use a little help in the "strategery" department when it comes to selling my wife on the idea. We all know that a happy wife helps in our endeavors...I am looking for a late bay Westy.
Beside the fun and use we would get out if it, Id like to show her that its also a good investment. In your expert opinions, how much would you say the Bay Buses have gone up in price/value in the last 5 years? How about last 10 years?

Thanks for your time!

don't know your situation but we have our accounts set as yours/mine/ours.

yours and mine are just that, to do whatever. ours is for monthly bills. if you have a joint account, budget for a divorce

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Forget the investment argument, as your time spent maintaining it will eat that alive.
Plan on getting a non project 'turn key' with maybe some minor items to be sorted out. Involve her in the search, and start with really crap project busses, then pop the one you plan on buying. Think of it as bait and switch.
If she is still not on board, buy it anyway. Camper is more comfortable than the couch.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

It’s not an investment, it’s a money pit. I suggest you don’t mention that part. The reality is, LIFE IS SHORT and you’d better be doing what you want every step of the way. You want a bus and she wants whatever. Do your best to get both of you what you both want.
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

One thing for sure mine has gone down in value but she runs better! The secret to them holding value is to garage them. But keep driving them too and fix the little things that come up. As far as campers go the Vanagon interiors are really nice.
Maybe she would like one better: 1983 e-bay Westfalia Vanagon. Take her camping with a group of VW camper folks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

what others have said, especially Hazetguy. Don't make any assumptions on future value based on past growth. They could double or triple in value, they could halve or quarter in value.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

yours and mine are just that, to do whatever. ours is for monthly bills. if you have a joint account, budget for a divorce

This is SSOO true Don. But sadly, many 'wives' won't sign off on this strategy. They want it ALL in one bucket so they can CONTROL it!

One of my best friends got married 25ish years ago. I was the best man. When they both said "I do", the preacher introduced them as "Susan and John Showalter". I said to my buddy next to me "he's so screwed".. And he was...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

This is SSOO true Don. But sadly, many 'wives' won't sign off on this strategy. That want it ALL in one bucket so they can CONTROL it!

One of my best friends got married 25ish years ago. I was the best man. When they both said "I do", the preacher introduced them as "Susan and John Showalter". I said to my buddy next to me "he's so screwed".. And he was...

I think I married her sister or cousin. It's like the old joke - someone yells "DUCK!" All the long married men dive for cover but the newly wed male looks about and says "where?" right before he gets clobbered by his wife

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: